PDA

View Full Version : We all have to start somewhere

GUmike
27th January 2013, 02:26 AM
I recently brought my first 4x4, a lovely 2005 GU 3.0st-l automatic which I wanted to use to tow a 2 berth caravan around to explore a bit more of this wonderful country. Anyway, I thought I'd be a good boy and look at the manual to get a little wiser on how to use said patrol for towing. Imagine my confusion when I read "Use the 4L position when starting out....."(under trailer towing) and then later read " to shift transfer case from 4L to 4H Stop the vehicle"....So as a complete newby who was going out to try out his new towing machine complete with said caravan in a few hours What gear do I use to get it all moving? I know you can change from 2H to 4H on the move so have I missed something (Sorry it's a bit long). Any helpful suggestions please

GarryMartin
27th January 2013, 02:33 AM
Sounds like some sort of puzzle! ;-)

Welcome to the forum GUmike. I'm not a 4x4 expert so can't provide you with advice, but trust me when I saw there are *hundreds* of people rushing this way right now to welcome you to the forum and provide qualified answers to all your questions.

fracster
27th January 2013, 02:43 AM
4 low is only for very slippy/difficult terrain.

If your setting off on tarmac, set off in 2 high as per normal.

Clunk
27th January 2013, 03:20 AM
Gday Mike and welcome aboard mate.......... unfortunately I don't have a gu but I do have a GQ auto so am pretty sure its the same operation to go into 4L, if I'm wrong someone will no doubt correct me....... in order to get into 4L, firstly you need to be at a complete stop. Drop your gear Leaver into neutral, then move your little stubby (4wd) Leaver to 4h (if not already done so), push down on the Leaver and pull it back into 4L and away you go. To move from 4l to 4h, again you need to be stopped and gear in neutral.......... I really can't see how its possible to do this on the move whilst towing.

From what I know you should only use 4h or 4l on unsealed gravel roads, tracks or sand.... otherwise wind up in the shafts can occur and then fail. Again the guys who know more will be able to explain more clearly.

So I guess for towing a small caravan, start off in 2h and only change to 4h when on the move on gravel roads, I doubt you'd need to go into 4l.

Hope that doesn't cause anymore confusion.

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

growler2058
27th January 2013, 05:33 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
L (low range) should only be used off road actually same goes with high range. On the blacktop only use 2wd
Yes you need to stop or nearly stop and be in neutral to get into low range

BigRAWesty
27th January 2013, 06:57 AM
Welcome mate. Thats a bit of confusion right there...
But, Not all correct guys, the patrol can safely change from 2h to 4h on the fly. Recommended up to 60k. And no clutch needed.. 80 can be done also but not recommended.

Under 5k/h for a high to low change..and always use a clutch here..

As for towing on bitumen you can use your low range gears. BUT.... Only in the extreme conditions. And only for the task.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
27th January 2013, 07:59 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum, Plenty of great ppl here
and heaps of info as well

MEGOMONSTER
27th January 2013, 08:21 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Dhuck
27th January 2013, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

GUmike
27th January 2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes and helpful info. Will give it a go and see how we get on.

kevin07
27th January 2013, 09:38 AM
seems to be a bit confusing me personally i will never use 4h or 4l on black top i would say if you do you will be doing a bit of reversing and emptying your wallet to repair the transfer case. welcome to the forum mate you will be hooked just like the rest of us plenty of info here.kev

BigRAWesty
27th January 2013, 09:42 AM
seems to be a bit confusing me personally i will never use 4h or 4l on black top i would say if you do you will be doing a bit of reversing and emptying your wallet to repair the transfer case.kev

If you drive slow and sensible, and only do what you need to then its fine..
Bit like people dissin lockers for snapping cc's. You need to drive to the conditions and vehicle setup.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Hoochthepooch
27th January 2013, 11:39 AM
Welcome buddy, great forum, you will find everything you will ever need to know here

Clunk
27th January 2013, 11:47 AM
Welcome mate. Thats a bit of confusion right there...
But, Not all correct guys, the patrol can safely change from 2h to 4h on the fly. Recommended up to 60k. And no clutch needed.. 80 can be done also but not recommended.

Under 5k/h for a high to low change..and always use a clutch here..

As for towing on bitumen you can use your low range gears. BUT.... Only in the extreme conditions. And only for the task.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

He has an auto, not a manual

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

GUmike
27th January 2013, 12:50 PM
It was awesome!!! No problems and so smooth to drive with pop- top hitched up. Even managed to the wife to have a drive and she has never towed anything before. All looks OK for our first adventure and loving the Patrol more and more.

my third 256
28th January 2013, 08:25 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

Maxhead
29th January 2013, 08:05 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

AB
29th January 2013, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

wildgu6
29th January 2013, 08:31 AM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Enjoy, cheers Pete

TAPPN OUT

Morton
29th January 2013, 09:30 PM
you can use L4 on the tar as suggested by Westy but it needs to be wet or icy or muddy etc to allow the tyres to turn on themselves as they do off road on dirt & mud etc, you will only wind the diffs if it is dry & damage is ensured, usually axles, in L4 in the dry you are ok in a straight line for a period, it can be done in a recovery situation or moving a caravan back or forth & only when traction is required.

BTW, welcome to the forum mate

lorrieandjas
30th January 2013, 09:22 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people on here and heaps of tips and advice to be had!

Jas