PDA

View Full Version : Are split rims old hat???

threedogs
26th January 2013, 01:06 PM
Just thinking with all the tyre technology and quick fit kits for tubeless tyres.
my question is have Split rims become obsolete??

Or does anyone still use them and why???

growler2058
26th January 2013, 01:46 PM
I think Rossco (dxgrunt) still lives in the dark ages. I think they do have a place in outback situations for ease of repairs

Cuppa
26th January 2013, 02:03 PM
Like DX Grunt I still have them. Telstra fitted them. I remain in two minds about keeping them on. It's probably the expense more than anything which puts me off changing over. If anyone has a suitable set of steel wheels you want out of the way at a cheap price I might be interested. 6 would be good.

For discussion on split rims vs tubeless rims this is a pretty good link.
http://www.beadelltours.com.au/rim_debate.html

Cuppa

threedogs
26th January 2013, 02:16 PM
As for bush repairs ,I can't see whats quicker than putting a plug in a hole, more major repairs are made back at camp with portable compressors and the likes.
@ Cuppa I have 5 x 15 x 8 rims here but not sure if 15"s fit over the brakes no idea of offset, except they came off a Hilux, some scourer and black paint would see them like new

Cuppa
26th January 2013, 02:23 PM
As for bush repairs ,I can't see whats quicker than putting a plug in a hole, more major repairs are made back at camp with portable compressors and the likes.
@ Cuppa I have 5 x 15 x 8 rims here but not sure if 15"s fit over the brakes no idea of offset, except they came off a Hilux, some scourer and black paint would see them like new

Thanks TD, dunno nuffin' about offsets (happy to be edumacated though). Current tyre size fitted are 235/85R 16. Not sure that I want to lose any ground clearance by going to smaller diameter rims.

Cuppa

threedogs
26th January 2013, 02:27 PM
Just so happens 15" tyres much cheaper than 16" tyres got me beat why

DX grunt
26th January 2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I still got them.

They do have their purpose in life. If you don't know what you're doing with them when you change them, they can kill you.

I get disgruntled at the tyre shop paying $58 to get the tube replaced. I'm looking for some sunnies.

growler2058
26th January 2013, 07:55 PM

Plugs for sure, bit if you need to rteplace a tyre on a rim i rekon splits may be quicker

threedogs
26th January 2013, 08:48 PM
Boy do they go off, we used to pump them up upside down under the 4x4.
we used them on some 4bys working on Khan railway line on the edge of Simmo
best job ever

nissannewby
26th January 2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks TD, dunno nuffin' about offsets (happy to be edumacated though). Current tyre size fitted are 235/85R 16. Not sure that I want to lose any ground clearance by going to smaller diameter rims.

Cuppa

To fit a 15 on a GU they need to be atleast neg 22. Being they are off a hilux they wont fit. Tyre diameter remains the same its only the rim diamter that alters. A 33 is a 33 whether its on a 15 or 16" rim.

nissannewby
26th January 2013, 10:07 PM
Also one of the major factors with split rims these days, DX Grunt has hi lighted it, is the safety side of things. Its a lot easier for someone to stuff up playing with a split rim than a tubeless setup and the results can be catastrophic and in this day and age when people are sueing other people just for looking at them the wrong way it could be a reason.

93patrol
26th January 2013, 10:11 PM
The reason 16 in is more than 15 in is that 16 is apparently an odd size and the 13 15 17 in are "normal" sizes

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Cuppa
26th January 2013, 10:44 PM
To maintain, or even improve current ground clearance what would be the best size rim/tyre for me to change to without having to make other modifications & without making fuel economy worse?

NissanNewby, can you tell me what neg 22 means, & how would I determine what, if any offset my current rims have?

Cuppa

nissannewby
26th January 2013, 10:56 PM
Its basically how far past the centreline of the wheel it sticks out. So if each measurement either side of the centre (where the face that bolts onto your hub sits.) was the same you have zero offset. If the measurement on the inside of the wheel is larger than that on the outside its a + offset and then the opposite for a neg offset. Im not entirely sure on this but if you put something flat across the diamter of your rim then measure how are it is from the centre to the edge of the rim, subtract the smaller number from the larger and you have your offset. I hope this makes sense.

What is your current wheel/tyre combo.

Clunk
26th January 2013, 11:14 PM
To maintain, or even improve current ground clearance what would be the best size rim/tyre for me to change to without having to make other modifications & without making fuel economy worse?

NissanNewby, can you tell me what neg 22 means, & how would I determine what, if any offset my current rims have?

Cuppa

Cuppa, going for a 265x70x16 is almost the same diameter as yours, just slightly larger ...... Which is almost 32". Me personally I'd ne done with it and just go for 33 x 12.5x15 on 15x8rims (if they'llfit over your rotors & calipers. or I think 285x 75x16 if the 15s won't fit

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Cuppa
26th January 2013, 11:18 PM
Its basically how far past the centreline of the wheel it sticks out. So if each measurement either side of the centre (where the face that bolts onto your hub sits.) was the same you have zero offset. If the measurement on the inside of the wheel is larger than that on the outside its a + offset and then the opposite for a neg offset. Im not entirely sure on this but if you put something flat across the diamter of your rim then measure how are it is from the centre to the edge of the rim, subtract the smaller number from the larger and you have your offset. I hope this makes sense.

What is your current wheel/tyre combo.

Thanks for that.
Current tyres are 235/85R 16 on split rims that are marked TOPY 16x5.50F

Cuppa

nissannewby
26th January 2013, 11:33 PM
Clunks on the money. a 31x10.5 or 265/70 will be a similar diamter and are a very common size as are 33's and 285/75 (32.8") and run on a 8" rim. I run 285/75 r16's on my Gu and find they fill the void very nicely and dont put to much extra strain on the vehicle. I can still average low 14's/100km with the canopy on and loaded up.

Cuppa
27th January 2013, 12:05 AM
If I'm understanding correctly you are both advising that I fit wider tyres & rims whilst sticking with 16" diameter rims? Yes?

I thought earlier it was suggested that 16" was an 'odd' size & that it would make sense to change to a 15" or 17"? I'm confused.

Cuppa

nissannewby
27th January 2013, 12:13 AM
Stick with the 16" 4wd Tyres are cheaper in 15 and 16 Tim sizes. Comparable tyre diameters and widths don't have to much of a difference in price between rim diameters.

lorrieandjas
27th January 2013, 12:21 AM
If I'm understanding correctly you are both advising that I fit wider tyres & rims whilst sticking with 16" diameter rims? Yes?

I thought earlier it was suggested that 16" was an 'odd' size & that it would make sense to change to a 15" or 17"? I'm confused.

Cuppa

16" rims are not "an odd size". In fact 17" are ODD when it comes to price. At the end of the day it comes down to what you can fit without scrubbing.

Jas

Clunk
27th January 2013, 12:46 AM

Cuppa

Its the Tyre places that say 16s are an odd size, to me they're as common as too poo....... so depending on what you're preferences are a full set of 285x 16s will cost approx 150-200 more than 33x 15s, that's why I said to go 15s if they'll fit..... not a huge savings but a savings none the less and they're also a very common diameter.

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

happygu
27th January 2013, 12:56 AM
I wish that were so when buying new tyres for the 17" rims......I think they know that all of us with 17" have later model vehicles and figure that it must mean they can screw us over for some extra dollars on tyres.....

lorrieandjas
27th January 2013, 01:00 AM
I wish that were so when buying new tyres for the 17" rims......I think they know that all of us with 17" have later model vehicles and figure that it must mean they can screw us over for some extra dollars on tyres.....

Yep. Hence I went 16s.

Jas