PDA

View Full Version : Tough dog or iron man lift?????

WYLD333
25th January 2013, 03:19 PM
Hey guys about to throw a 3inch lift at my gu and wondering if anyone runs either of these lift kits and what their opinions r of them? Would
B willing to look at different brands also, whos's running what n what u think??!!

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2013, 03:20 PM
Out of those two Tough Dog is Clear winner!

For a 3" Lift i am running ARB Old Man Emu Comp Spec 3" with Nitro Sport shocks and Drop Boxes!! Winner Hands Down. Simply Awesome

Iron Man are Junk in my world mate, budget Shock. This is my Personal opinion.

lorrieandjas
25th January 2013, 03:47 PM
Hi mate - I've never run Iron Man or Tough Dog - but have heard "average" things about them both. But then again - have heard "average" things about a lot of stuff! :) As MR said, OME is well-regarded and I haven't heard anything negative about them. I run Dobinson coils and Koni springs in mine (but its only a 2" lift) and have been well pleased to throw that in the ring!

Jas

threedogs
25th January 2013, 03:51 PM
I'm running 2" EFS as soft as I could get considering batteries, winch and bullbar happy, 4" flexi coils might be worth looking at, sits like 2" flexes like 4"

WYLD333
25th January 2013, 04:03 PM
What's a set of old man emu wrth?

WYLD333
25th January 2013, 04:03 PM
Hi mate - I've never run Iron Man or Tough Dog - but have heard "average" things about them both. But then again - have heard "average" things about a lot of stuff! :) As MR said, OME is well-regarded and I haven't heard anything negative about them. I run Dobinson coils and Koni springs in mine (but its only a 2" lift) and have been well pleased to throw that in the ring!

Jas

Any pics m8

lorrieandjas
25th January 2013, 04:33 PM
Hi mate - there are pics of them in the members rides section here - http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17676-The-Patrol-in-Progress.

Jas

threedogs
25th January 2013, 04:50 PM
Set of Koni for a GU will set you back $2000 plus, but they are adjustable and rebuildable.
From reports I've heard worth the $$$$$

nissannewby
25th January 2013, 05:12 PM
I'm with mud runner. Out of those 2 brands tough dog is the go. But OME Is the ducks nuts. The average thing you will hear about tough dog is with there shocks but no one tells the other side about incorrect fitting and giving them a hiding.

I'm not sure where your gettin the prices for the koni shocks but they aren't that expensive.

macca86
25th January 2013, 07:55 PM
I'm running 3inch efs extreme springs 5inch shocks castor correction bushes steering dampner etc and can't fault them. They are a stiff set up but helps reduce body roll. They soak up all the bumps body is not half as sore as it use to be with th oe

mudski
26th January 2013, 08:28 AM
Ome ftw!!!

megatexture
26th January 2013, 09:10 AM
I'm running tough dogs (big bore adustables ) and have for 3 yrs and they have taken everything I've thrown at them touring and play ,I would get them again. I like mine soft and that can't be achieved with a Non adjustable shock and there is a massive difference between the softest and stiff settings

Lewy
26th January 2013, 09:19 AM
I'm running tough dogs (big bore adustables ) and have for 3 yrs and they have taken everything I've thrown at them touring and play ,I would get them again. I like mine soft and that can't be achieved with a Non adjustable shock and there is a massive difference between the softest and stiff settings

Agreed.. I wouldn't run anything but tough dog.. Used heaps of different set ups over the years and found tough dog to be by far the best!!!

WYLD333
26th January 2013, 02:31 PM
Sounding like I'm getting tough dog then, was sorta leaning that way anyway

Lewy
26th January 2013, 02:47 PM
Now we are looking forword to gettng the in cab adjustable set up for the shocks. Cant wait!!!!... You will not be dissapointed in your choice with the TD....

WYLD333
26th January 2013, 03:07 PM
ok so heres another drama im having, trying to decide between the 2 or 3 inch??? not sure what way to go???

Lewy
26th January 2013, 03:18 PM
Well here is my GU with a 3" Spring and 4" Shocks!! Works a treat.. Looks great too with 285's.. All tough dog!!!!

Lewy

89gqpatrol4x4
27th January 2013, 02:02 PM
A mate got a quote yesterday for 3 inch ome springs and shocks fitted for $1500

nissannewby
27th January 2013, 02:32 PM
Anything more than a 2" generally requires some sort of castor correction, proportioning valve bracket, panhards and drag link, and maybe brake lines.

Morton
29th January 2013, 08:51 AM
I run ToughDog 45mm Bigbore in my Maverick, fully adjustable, works a treat, I fitted Toughdog 41mm foamcell shocks in my GU last weekend, I havent tested them offroad as yet but love them on the road so far, handles better, waterbed motion is gone, steers better etc etc, I run TJM springs with that aswell, so far so good with the shocks but I had no real feedback on them prior to purchase so time will tell if they are a fizzer or not

MEGOMONSTER
29th January 2013, 09:50 AM
I've definitely heard some negative feedback on Ironman but also negative with Tough Dog. Tough dog have had a heap more positives though.
I feel they have lifted their game. Lol

healy
29th January 2013, 11:23 AM
Do Tough Dog or OME do a discount for club/forum members? I know ironman do however I personally wouldn't buy ironman suspension again

Damian_74
31st January 2013, 11:12 PM
Tough Dog - GU ute (Leaf spring rear), 2" lift tough dog springs and shocks all round - over 50'000km's in all conditions and loads - couldn't be happier!

Gu01patrol
2nd February 2013, 09:50 PM
After my experience with tough dog the with cheap washers useed, the promise of replacement parts from Arron at toug Dog and 12months later have not received a thing, i would be GIVING TOUGH DOG A BIG MISS with the cheap crap

karol
3rd February 2013, 07:16 AM
call suspension stuff. they make their own monotube shocks. similar to bilstein. they are heaps heaps better then ironman and dough dog ever will be. pretty helpfull as well.