PDA

View Full Version : hub seals

Gordy
25th January 2013, 01:56 PM
How long should a set of new hub seals last?
NOT Impressed, had a mechanic do the job just over 18 mths ago as wife was driving vehicle and I was working o/seas. I have had to pull them all down and replace all but the swipe seals today and the condition of the internal seals was less than average

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2013, 02:09 PM
that is kind of "How long is a piece of string" sorry mate, i have done a set of Axle seals in a Week. Really depends on how you drive the car, the condition of the car and the components. And Why you are pulling them down again?

nissannewby
25th January 2013, 02:29 PM
We're the axle seals replaced when the hub seals were?

Kristofer go
25th January 2013, 03:42 PM
I redid mine and it lasted maybe a month, then they were (and are) leaking gear oil again. It was not worth the money I put into to the parts and labor for sure. I think that maybe the job was done poorly because I do not drive my GQ Patrol off road much and when I do I am not extreme with it. I do wish I could get the oil to stop leaking though as it is messy and I am sure it is not good for the differential. I did replace the axle seals and the hub seals when we did mine.

Gordy
25th January 2013, 03:55 PM
lmm grease and oil all over the calipers. pulled it all down yesterday and whomever put the inner axle seal in damaged it putting it in, the other seal on the stub axle also had a chip out of the seal. I use the car a fair bit on the beach when back on R&R but after doing a bit more reading on here, it really does come down to quality of seal kit purchased. Another reason to do all work myself unless I can find a trusted mechanic that cares about repeat business, and the quality of his work. I am getting tired of hit & miss results

Scottyc
29th January 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi Gordy,

My old GU had this issue in the rear axle. I bought new seals and bearings from CBC - not crap. I decided to have a go myself but ended up having to take the axles to a mechanic to press the old bearings off and the new ones back on. We then went on a 3000km round trip and they had started leaking again. I went back to the mechanic and he found the breather hose on top of the axle was pinched over so theory was any pressure build up in the axle housing due to heat was pushing oil out the seals. Straightened it out and made sure it and the hose was clear and everything went back to normal - no more leaks.

Sounds like poor fitting of your inner seal is the problem this time round but could restriction in the ventilation system be the original cause?

Cheers,

Scott

NP99
14th February 2013, 08:56 PM
Is there such a thing as a quality seal? :-)

MudRunnerTD
14th February 2013, 09:33 PM
Is there such a thing as a quality seal? :-)

Japanese.
Terrain Tamer gear is good.

Bulbous
15th February 2013, 06:56 AM
I redid mine and it lasted maybe a month, then they were (and are) leaking gear oil again. It was not worth the money I put into to the parts and labor for sure. I think that maybe the job was done poorly because I do not drive my GQ Patrol off road much and when I do I am not extreme with it.

I've redone mine several times and the most they ever lasted was about a week. So I may be the bearer of bad news.
I managed to bend the diff housing and also the axle itself - hence why it started leaking so quickly. I got the money together to replace both and when we removed the housing and the axle there was a clear rub mark on the axle where it had been hitting the inner seal.
I had to replace both the housing/tube and the axle. It's been over a week now - and there's not a sign of a leak :D
If yours is starting to leak that quickly, get the full alignment done to check that nothing's bent. The front diff tube/housing is the weakest part of the whole patrol driveline.

On the good news side . . .

I do wish I could get the oil to stop leaking though as it is messy and I am sure it is not good for the differential. I did replace the axle seals and the hub seals when we did mine.
I damaged my axle and tube back in April 2011 and only replaced the bits last week. That's almost 2 years ! The condition of the diff centre was perfect, and the RHS axle still had the factory grease on it. Just check the diff oil level every month or so and clean the mess of the wheels, etc - Awesome vehicle, completely bulletproof transmission and suspension.

How did I bend it?
The avatar is a clue - I didn't do that just once, but I will NEVER do it again. Don't jump your Patrol !

Winnie
15th February 2013, 07:01 AM
I overhauled my swivel hubs about 3 months ago and not a sign of a leak since.

taslucas
15th February 2013, 07:11 AM
I got a swivel hub kit fitted about 10 months ago by my brother (who is a mechanic) and the opposite side has just started weeping:-(.

FanTapstic!

Winnie
15th February 2013, 07:13 AM
That's why I did both sides at the same time. I new that if I only did one the other side would leak straight away.

taslucas
15th February 2013, 07:15 AM
That's why I did both sides at the same time. I new that if I only did one the other side would leak straight away.

I did both sides....that's why I put a :-(. Lol

FanTapstic!

Winnie
15th February 2013, 07:19 AM
=[ indeed then! Its a price of a job. Took me all day to do both sides but I didn't really know what I was doing hahaha

Bloodyaussie
15th February 2013, 07:20 AM
I've redone mine several times and the most they ever lasted was about a week. So I may be the bearer of bad news.
I managed to bend the diff housing and also the axle itself - hence why it started leaking so quickly. I got the money together to replace both and when we removed the housing and the axle there was a clear rub mark on the axle where it had been hitting the inner seal.
I had to replace both the housing/tube and the axle. It's been over a week now - and there's not a sign of a leak :D
If yours is starting to leak that quickly, get the full alignment done to check that nothing's bent. The front diff tube/housing is the weakest part of the whole patrol driveline.

On the good news side . . .

I damaged my axle and tube back in April 2011 and only replaced the bits last week. That's almost 2 years ! The condition of the diff centre was perfect, and the RHS axle still had the factory grease on it. Just check the diff oil level every month or so and clean the mess of the wheels, etc - Awesome vehicle, completely bulletproof transmission and suspension.

How did I bend it?
The avatar is a clue - I didn't do that just once, but I will NEVER do it again. Don't jump your Patrol !

Yeah well looking at that avatar makes me think no mechanical sympathy... poor car!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to do jumps get a dirt bike.

MudRunnerTD
15th February 2013, 07:48 AM
Yeah well looking at that avatar makes me think no mechanical sympathy... poor car!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to do jumps get a dirt bike.

Ah but Jonathan, Bulbous plays in the sand Dunes mate! that is the Only reason for owning a Patrol where he is. Sand Dunes are Incredible. Everyone should play at least once in their lives, play and pay the cost but play you should. It is Soooo Much Fun! I have had my GQ and my GUIV as high as his avatar in the Buggy Park n BeachPort SA Love it! We should do a Meetup there for sure!

Morton
16th February 2013, 02:01 AM
for the axle seal on the front you should use genuine seals, the reason the left will usually leak faster afterwards is the axle is so strong, you have to wipe the axles clean, then run your hand up & down the axle shaft, this maybe erotic for some, usually does nothing for the wife, reason being is if you have any burrs on the axle it will slice the seal as it goes in, the tiniest burr will cause a leak, if it is leaking then it is mixing with your hub grease, this is bad, always fix them if they are leaking

Bulbous
16th February 2013, 05:34 AM
Sand Dunes are Incredible. Everyone should play at least once in their lives, play and pay the cost but play you should. It is Soooo Much Fun! I have had my GQ and my GUIV as high as his avatar in the Buggy Park n BeachPort SA Love it! We should do a Meetup there for sure!
Sorry couldn't post a full reply earlier cos I went dune bashing at 07:00 this morning, got back at 13:00 and went again at 14:00. Just got back having created a new carbon cloud over the UAE :D

Play and pay is absolutely correct, the desert is great fun, but she is an evil bitch. She doesn't care that you have to use your truck to take the kids to school or go to work, she'll happily fark it all up for you.

Coming from the UK (yes I'm a POM - not into whinging though), where there is virtually no off-road stuff and who could afford it even if there was, the desert/dune bashing that goes on here is just plain awesome.

It was the third jump that bent everything, also seriously hurt my back - the stock suspension just bottomed out and that was that. Nissan wanted 3500 AUD to fix it :(

Now about this meetup, seems a bit ambiguous - are you talking about a meetup in the Buggy Park n BeachPort SA or a meetup in the Abu Dhabi Empty Quarter ? (recommended but expensive)

Seriously guys, anyone passing through the UAE drop me a PM and we'll schedule a bit of dune bashing - you'll love it Arab style :D

Bloodyaussie
16th February 2013, 07:40 AM

Yeah I did one side before the Toolangi trip then a week later the other side started to weep.

I did my Hilux years ago and it lasted about 3 months before it started leaking again....

Drewboyaus
16th February 2013, 08:28 AM
Ah but Jonathan, Bulbous plays in the sand Dunes mate! that is the Only reason for owning a Patrol where he is. Sand Dunes are Incredible. Everyone should play at least once in their lives, play and pay the cost but play you should. It is Soooo Much Fun! I have had my GQ and my GUIV as high as his avatar in the Buggy Park n BeachPort SA Love it! We should do a Meetup there for sure!

There's also the Portland Dune buggy club too.......

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Northern Lad
19th February 2013, 03:25 PM
Does your Patrol also get the shakes/wobbles? Does it tend to wonder over the road? If you are doing the seals you should really replace the bearings at the same time, that way it is a job done.