PDA

View Full Version : GU Patrol - fuel range with standard tanks?

Jaycee
25th January 2013, 07:58 AM
Hi all,

I've just put a deposit on a new (for me) 2007 3L CRD ST Patrol, and we're preparing our shopping lists for a 12 month outback trip. I'm wondering whether I need to invest in a long range tank?

How many litres are the standard tanks in these vehicles, and what sort of range can I expect from a full tank?

Are the standard tanks and two jerry cans usually considered sufficient for a trip on the popular outback tracks, or is a LR tank essential?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Jaycee

GarryMartin
25th January 2013, 08:11 AM
I'm from the UK and it's a little different here, but I believe in Australia the 3.0 CRD ST comes with two fuel tanks; a 95 litre main tank and a 30 litre reserve. Fuel consumption is stated at 10.8 liters/100km for manual and 10.7 liters/100km for automatic.

Hope this helps.

DX grunt
25th January 2013, 08:20 AM
Hi all,

I've just put a deposit on a new (for me) 2007 3L CRD ST Patrol, and we're preparing our shopping lists for a 12 month outback trip. I'm wondering whether I need to invest in a long range tank?

How many litres are the standard tanks in these vehicles, and what sort of range can I expect from a full tank?

Are the standard tanks and two jerry cans usually considered sufficient for a trip on the popular outback tracks, or is a LR tank essential?

Cheers,
Jaycee

Mine's an ex Telstra ute with a pod on the back. The pod sticks out about 6" all the way around and acts like a sand anchor in a head wind, so my fuel consumption won't reflect yours.

It's also been set up for remote working so my mains is 90lts and the reserve is about 75 or 80. I'm not a fan of jerry cans.....justin case. Should the unforseen happen! It boils down to your needs and available coin.

I've taken my time and done lots of research about the type and style of uses I want to put my truck through. I'm not into mud and slush, but remote camping, and set my truck up as such.

Rome wasn't built in a day. This forum is fantastic, and I get really envious (jealous???) of what some have done, but the old tortoise and hare story kicks in. No offence to any Forum members - of course. lol

Make a list out of wants versus needs, then prioritise.

Rossco

nissannewby
25th January 2013, 09:51 AM
The wagons have the smaller 30-35l sub tank in them. If you get what most are getting around the 12L/100 then anywhere from 750 to 1000km out of the tanks should be doable. There are long range tanks availabe which could see you push you full capacity to around 200L

threedogs
25th January 2013, 10:13 AM
I replaced my 30lt with an after market 75 lt job, pretty confident of about a 1200 km range on 285's
Once you up tyre size so will your fuel usaged as would be expected.

FYI the rd28, zd30 have 95 and 30lt tanks, ulp models have 95 and 36lt
4.2 and td4.2 have 95 and 30 ltr
Utes have 95 and 80 lt sub tank

kevin07
25th January 2013, 12:18 PM
The wagons have the smaller 30-35l sub tank in them. If you get what most are getting around the 12L/100 then anywhere from 750 to 1000km out of the tanks should be doable. There are long range tanks availabe which could see you push you full capacity to around 200L

i would absolutely love 12/100km mines up around 18/100km

threedogs
25th January 2013, 12:36 PM
07 how come your Cr is 18/100 km you sure your working it out right. main tank should read 320 - 350k to half tank
towing I get 15/100 km bit less around town, never tried without camper

the evil twin
25th January 2013, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

Cheers,
Jaycee

You will have to buy it, drive it and work it out I am afraid.

Mine is an '07 CRD and I can almost unequivocally guarantee you no two vehicles will get similar results.
First off, straight from the show room floor one vehicle will get "x" and another "y" and that is not just Patrols. Look at the posts on here and other forums and people claim from 11 ish to 18 ish LPH and no-one knows why the differences.

Second it will depend on the vehicle configuration when you tour. My truck has averaged out at 12.5 LPH over the approx 80,000K's since I got it (second owner) but is heavily modified.

When I am touring I do not even factor in the 30 litre factory reserve and work on 15 LPH from the 147 litre LR tank. 150 litres theoretically gets me 1000 K's but I take 25% off that and work on 750K's unless I am on a main road then it doesn't matter.

Most importantly I continually monitor my fuel useage and litres remaining using my Scangauge. Set up correctly any OBDII gauge are an awesome tool and if I get ahead of the fuel useage I adjust my possible range accordingly.

I know the above sounds a tad excessive but I have seen my fuel consumption the wrong side of 20 LPH in the stonking head winds out on the plains and also high teens on some of the soft tracks...
Also that extra margin allows for heaps of unknowns or unplanned events like:
the odd geographicaly embarrassing moment
changing route due to conditions, fires, flash floods or whatever
fuel stops that aren't IE pump is broken or out and 'waiting for a delivery'
non published track/road closures (which we get a lot of as well)
mercy dashs, medical issues, flat towing a breakdown etc etc etc

Bottom line for me is I have 180 litres on board tankage but if reliable fuel is more than 750 K's between suppliers and the going is 'outback tracks' then I start thinking of filling jerry's.

P.S. I love my '07 and I am sure you will love yours but the absolute best thing you can buy for your truck under $200 is a Scangauge or similar. I would be fitting one the day I picked it up.

kevin07
26th January 2013, 09:08 AM
07 how come your Cr is 18/100 km you sure your working it out right. main tank should read 320 - 350k to half tank
towing I get 15/100 km bit less around town, never tried without camper

550 to 600 around town and less towing my camper on a 100 litres i think i need to go for a trip to berrima

happygu
26th January 2013, 10:35 AM
Mine four 3 Litre Patrols ( 2x Di, and 2 x CRD ) usually get around 830 - 880 klms before the Low Fuel Light comes on ( Standard 95 and 30 Litre Tanks ). When this light comes you usually have between 10 - 15 litres left in the main tank. This is running 33" mudders
The CRD's have both been slightly less fuel efficient than my 03 Di, which had a ball tearer motor in it, still running exceptionall well in the hands of its new owner

I have never pushed this all the way to see how far I could get, but this should equate to another 100 klms

MEGOMONSTER
26th January 2013, 11:23 AM
I have a 2011 ST and normal town driving I get between 650-700 on the main tank only.
Some weeks are worse than others.
This Qld trip was all over the shop. Some tanks getting 12Lph, some tanks getting 16Lph, and one tank getting 18Lph going over Kosziosko.
One trip to Echuca, I had just less than a quarter tank and thought to fill up in between somewhere but the Missus was asleep so I kept going knowing I still had the sub tank.
I did over 250km with less than a quarter tank. That's in the 9's Lph but not really knowing exactly what's in the tank.

Jaycee
26th January 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks very much guys. All extremely helpful information. It sounds like i can expect some reasonable range on the standard tanks, but I'll definitely investigate additional fuel for some of our more remote trips.

I've seen that the scangauge is compatible with the CRD, and it offers great fuel usage and trip meter functions, so i've added that to our (ever expanding!) shopping list.

Cheers,
Jaycee

happygu
26th January 2013, 01:26 PM
There's plenty of stuff to buy Jaycee, and although I don't have one, I think the scangauge or ultragauge is a good buy....

Morton
28th January 2013, 09:37 AM
buy a quality tinny-holder, cos you can sit there after each days drive & watch to Toyota owners working on their machines, that is how much you are going to love your new vehicle