PDA

View Full Version : The cost of beer

Kast
24th January 2013, 01:28 AM
Evening all,

Just been down to my mate Dan's to stock up for the long weekend of camping, fishing and 4wding. So nothing too expensive or elaborate. So wtf do yo think of $47.99 for 30 cans of VB!

Now I know Perth is not the cheap corner that it used to be, but can someone reassure me that some other parts of this great 4wding nation have a B double or more of reasonableness.

:jawdrop:

BigRAWesty
24th January 2013, 04:18 AM
Expensive for cats piss :p

Yea it is a rip off... The grubberment is to help bent on a "alcoholic society", that there to blind to see the real issue. It's not the drinks, but the drugs...
Why spend $150+ and get tipsy when $40 gets you ripped for the night.
FYI, I've never done drugs, but seen the aftermath...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Bloodyaussie
24th January 2013, 08:11 AM
$29 for my Aldi beer!!!! fwoorking hate VB!!!!

threedogs
24th January 2013, 08:17 AM
Yo Kast thats not too bad only $1.60 a tin, could be a bit cheaper.
I was told they stopped making the 30 pack??

pearcey
24th January 2013, 09:25 AM
Brew your own mate for about 1hours work you can make 60 stubbies for around $15, or like me do it in kegs and its on tap.
You can also make some kick azz stuff for around $ 10 a Lt.

Winnie
24th January 2013, 09:37 AM
$76 for two slabs of VB this way, can't go wrong

threedogs
24th January 2013, 09:41 AM
Hey Winnie do you have 30 packs of VB down your way??
from memory you should be paying $1.38 to $1.45 for a FAIR price
but being Aust day they have done the Aussie thing and put up the price

Squalo
24th January 2013, 10:07 AM
Just yesterday I was thinking about how beer (and ciggie) price increases used to be front page news - What?! $1.60 for me schooners after work?! Let's vote the bloody government out :)

How times have changed...

threedogs
24th January 2013, 10:34 AM
10 oz glass of beer about $3.50 I think, haven't been to a pub for ages.
A stubbie is $4.50 I think as well from the public bar

Sir Roofy
24th January 2013, 10:44 AM
$29 for my aldi beer!!!! Fwoorking hate vb!!!!

$21 for mine at aldi,s=24 stubbies

wildgu6
24th January 2013, 10:57 AM
Ahhhhg I Love scotch, don't know how you guys drink that shiz

TAPPN OUT

growler2058
24th January 2013, 11:04 AM
Paying any amount for vb is too much

Rock out with ya..........tap out

Winnie
24th January 2013, 11:38 AM
Hey Winnie do you have 30 packs of VB down your way??
from memory you should be paying $1.38 to $1.45 for a FAIR price
but being Aust day they have done the Aussie thing and put up the price

Nah never seen a 30 pack of VB.

threedogs
24th January 2013, 11:42 AM
Thought so, best product Carlton came up with, go size for a weekend away

Yet you pay more for light beer, how does that work ??

Winnie
24th January 2013, 12:20 PM
Nah 2 slabs is the right amount for a weekend

growler2058
24th January 2013, 12:30 PM
Came across a truck that lost its load driver said go ya hardest on the contents all written off on insurance. Bummer was it was all vb got 30 cartons of 30 cans of the crap 2 was out from Xmas. Still couldn't give the s1t away. So we drank 900 cans YUCk

Rock out with ya..........tap out

Kast
24th January 2013, 12:33 PM
Yo Kast thats not too bad only $1.60 a tin, could be a bit cheaper.
I was told they stopped making the 30 pack??

G'Day Threedogs,

I was surprised too, and they don't have it online (I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things).

Maybe they dump all their end of line stuff in Perth, charge an arm and a leg for it and figure we're used to it !

Kast
24th January 2013, 12:37 PM
Brew your own mate for about 1hours work you can make 60 stubbies for around $15, or like me do it in kegs and its on tap.

Space is a bit of an issue living in a unit pearcey, not just for brewing but also for storing 4wd stuff and working on the truck, and having mates over and.........

"we gotta get out of this place'

MQ MAD
24th January 2013, 12:49 PM
Yea it is a rip off... The grubberment is to help bent on a "alcoholic society", that there to blind to see the real issue. It's not the drinks, but the drugs...
Why spend $150+ and get tipsy when $40 gets you ripped for the night.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

What makes me larf with all this "Alcoholic society " before the alco pop tax came in , you know the alco pop drinks that caused all the alcohol fuelled issues, that were never there before alco pops .....
Before the tax got passed in parliment ,the government charged the extra tax, people who couldnt justify the cost bought cheap wine ,or bottles of whisky ,and mixed their own,so the alco pop fiasco was that, a beat up especially for the budget buyers
So they charged an alco pop tax that didnt get passed first,then when they saw the millions it made ,it magically became a legalised tax
Ive gone against beer as the daily drink,i go spirits and mix myself,dry ginger ale,its the same price ,actually per volume of liquid its cheaper
I can get home brewed spirits that leave the so called over priced OP stuff for dead

Kast
24th January 2013, 03:04 PM
Now I'm sure I'll offend someone but the options were 24 x 330ml Stella cans for $38 ?! or 24 x 500ml Oetinger cans for $40 (I think of them as Aldi beer even though there's no Aldi in WA). Easy choice from where I was standing.

I don't know how you can just do spirits MQ MAD, I need a warm up and a cleansing warm down. Otherwise I'd be thinking I had a problem!

TimE
24th January 2013, 04:10 PM
I've been drinking beer for 45 years and I still can't believe they can make it so cheap :)

evillius
24th January 2013, 04:58 PM
All this talk sounds like a good reason to get into brewing your own!!

I used to brew beer occasionally with a mate. I think it used to cost us about $12 for a can of Coopers Lager and a kg of sugar. Used to produce about 60 stubbies. After a batch is out of the barrel start on the next batch straight away, that way in about a month or so after the first batch is finished, you'll have about 10 cases of beer ready to go and it will of only cost you about $50.

Of course you have to buy the barrel etc at the start, but that's only about $100 -$150 and you pretty much make that back on your first 2 batches.

Coldcomfort
24th January 2013, 05:10 PM
Evening all,

Just been down to my mate Dan's to stock up for the long weekend of camping, fishing and 4wding. So nothing too expensive or elaborate. So wtf do yo think of $47.99 for 30 cans of VB!

Now I know Perth is not the cheap corner that it used to be, but can someone reassure me that some other parts of this great 4wding nation have a B double or more of reasonableness.

:jawdrop:

Even at $7.99 for 30 VB would be over priced.....

pearcey
24th January 2013, 05:52 PM
Space is a bit of an issue living in a unit pearcey, not just for brewing but also for storing 4wd stuff and working on the truck, and having mates over and.........

"we gotta get out of this place'
Kast mate
Easy all you need is halve a wardrobe in the bedroom you`ve got space to brew and store maybe 120 longnecks or close to 300 stubbies. Dont forget the 20 stubbies in the fridge.

Kast
24th January 2013, 10:15 PM
Now that's what I call good thinking pearcey.

Just have to work out what to do with the MoF's clothes and footwear!

BigRAWesty
25th January 2013, 02:53 AM
Now that's what I call good thinking pearcey.

Just have to work out what to do with the MoF's clothes and footwear!

Salvos...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Kast
29th January 2013, 03:15 PM
Salvos...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

There is no problem this forum hasn't got an answer for.....

Thanks Kallen

Steve4wdin
29th January 2013, 04:32 PM
We still get 30 packs of VB in Sydney.About 2 weeks ago W/Worths had 2 x 30 pack for $80. There is a web called boozle.com.au Thay give all your local prices.

Moatmonster
29th January 2013, 04:51 PM
Only Tasmanian beer for me. I gave up on Domestic Violence juice along time ago (VB and Export).

Steve4wdin
29th January 2013, 05:27 PM
Only Tasmanian beer for me. I gave up on Domestic Violence juice along time ago (VB and Export).

So that is why my wife hits me all the time. It`s the VB. So I`m not an asshole. lol

janderson
29th January 2013, 05:51 PM

Got to agree. I brew also, with 8Kegs. Better tasting.

snewin
29th January 2013, 06:54 PM
Uh huh, home brew is the way to go. I do all grain and get it down to about 70 cents per tallie, 26 tallies per batch. When I do have to buy beer it's aldi all the way.

janderson
29th January 2013, 08:09 PM
And you can make sprits for less than $10 liter

pearcey
29th January 2013, 08:26 PM
And you can make sprits for less than $10 liter

Mate. To make kick azz stuff the major cost is in the set up, after that it`s cheap.
$10 a lt is better than $40 for 700mll

janderson
29th January 2013, 08:42 PM
Cost me about $400 bought 2nd hand. Did some modifications went from 70% to 95%

pearcey
29th January 2013, 10:17 PM
Cost me about $400 bought 2nd hand. Did some modifications went from 70% to 95%

Sounds like a good deal wont take long to recoup the lazy 400 good on you mate

Kast
1st February 2013, 04:23 PM
I don't know how you guys find time to go off road, but it's good to know I'm not the only one with a drinking problem! That's why me and the MoF are Feb fasting. So here we are, day 1. Lets see how tonight goes.

taslucas
1st February 2013, 04:38 PM
I don't know how you guys find time to go off road, but it's good to know I'm not the only one with a drinking problem! That's why me and the MoF are Feb fasting. So here we are, day 1. Lets see how tonight goes.

Hmmmm.... Some of us find time by doing both at the same time......
Naughty naughty Lucas

FanTapstic!

Wine_maker
3rd February 2013, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone!
So we touched on a very interesting topic! Homemade kick ass stuff!
I live on the other side of the planet but our guys also make interesting kick ass stuff. What kind of spirits do you prefer distillated or rectified?

May be new theme in DIY thread for those who like it.

:gossip: then :1062: and :band:

megatexture
3rd February 2013, 09:14 AM
At xmas Out at winton a carton of xxxx cans was 51$! so at that price I'd have bought vb lol, back in my teens I made home brew also and loved the alcoholic ginger beer also its so cheap just don't have the time these days lol

pearcey
3rd February 2013, 10:03 AM
Megga I spend about 1 hour a fortnight to brew, keg and bottle. All it mean is the wife just misses my attentions for that hour ROFPML.
Once the system is set up it`s a piece of cake.

pearcey
3rd February 2013, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Wine_maker;327346]Hi everyone!
I live on the other side of the planet but our guys also make interesting kick ass stuff. What kind of spirits do you prefer distillated or rectified?

:gossip: then :1062: and :band:[/QUOT
Wine Maker How you going mate
We only do distilled as we can control the amount of alcohol produced.IE the %age.

Wine_maker
3rd February 2013, 03:10 PM
Here in CIS folks use distillators like this:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/30.jpg
or
http://www.animalfear.ru/image1/zmeevik1.jpg
or
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/31.jpg

also use rectification column from shop or DIY

like this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/1.gif

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/32.jpg

janderson
3rd February 2013, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone!

:gossip: then :1062: and :band:

this is my setup. Did a cut and shut. Went from 70 to 95%

megatexture
3rd February 2013, 04:53 PM
Some serious looking gear fellas I wouldn't know what to do when it comes to spirits need a DIY write up I think lol

janderson
3rd February 2013, 07:10 PM
Some serious looking gear fellas I wouldn't know what to do when it comes to spirits need a DIY write up I think lol

Hope this is readable. If you find your local home brew shop they will give you all the information. It’s just so simple. As I have increased mine to produce 95% I now don’t need to filter my sprit. I get my supplies’ from here, found them to be the cheapest. http://www.aussiebrewer.com.au/

Wine_maker
3rd February 2013, 08:10 PM
Janderson and other who in the theme I think we can be useful each other!:cheers:

Kast
4th February 2013, 02:00 AM
Holey crap batman. And I thought the ZD30 was a piece of work!

Wine_maker
4th February 2013, 04:00 AM
What kind of materials do you usually use for home production in your region?
In my region guy’s use a corn, potatoes, grape, different kind of fruits, wheat.
According to the coursebook - technology of spirit production the outgoing of ready product from starch, that contained in different types of materials (dekaliters from 1 tons of material) :
Potatoes – 64.7
Corn – 64.0
Rye – 62.9
Wheat – 63.7
Barley - 62.4
Oats – 61.8
Millet – 63.5
Buckwheat – 61.1
Pea – 59.1
Molasses – 65.9
Sugar beet – 61.4

So as we can see, we can use everything for our home production.

janderson
4th February 2013, 07:35 PM
What kind of materials do you usually use for home production in your region?
In my region guy’s use a corn, potatoes, grape, different kind of fruits, wheat.
According to the coursebook - technology of spirit production the outgoing of ready product from starch, that contained in different types of materials (dekaliters from 1 tons of material) :
Potatoes – 64.7
Corn – 64.0
Rye – 62.9
Wheat – 63.7
Barley - 62.4
Oats – 61.8
Millet – 63.5
Buckwheat – 61.1
Pea – 59.1
Molasses – 65.9
Sugar beet – 61.4

So as we can see, we can use everything for our home production.

I do it the easy way. Make the alcohol using sugar. Then add the still sprit essences to make whatever I want. Can’t go wrong.

DX grunt
4th February 2013, 07:40 PM
Paid $56 for a carton of Pure Blonde at my local on the weekend.

matto9018
4th February 2013, 08:18 PM

Damn, that's dear, its about $42ish at my local, but I drink XXXXGold and costs me $34 a carton and last me just over a week, I have about 2-4 every night. If I have no beer, I drink Rum :D

Wine_maker
5th February 2013, 03:17 AM
I do it the easy way. Make the alcohol using sugar. Then add the still sprit essences to make whatever I want. Can’t go wrong.

Good job mate!
But I think production from 100% sugar are not the best economically. (but I should take into account differences in our prices, tradition etc.)
Do you produce spirit essences yourself?

janderson
5th February 2013, 04:21 PM
Good job mate!
But I think production from 100% sugar are not the best economically. (but I should take into account differences in our prices, tradition etc.)
Do you produce spirit essences yourself?

I use Top shelf and Edwards Essences. I know its more expense than the way you do it. I get the essences from here: http://www.aussiebrewer.com.au/

Wine_maker
5th February 2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for info mate!
Spirits Unlimited VODKA flavor - funny ))) I can't imagine it.(clean 95,6% alcohol - alfa or lux?)
One of the most popular in our region is a infusion based on walnut separation walls.

Kast
9th February 2013, 08:52 PM

Tell me you were desparate DX Grunt!

Clunk
9th February 2013, 10:07 PM
Tell me you were desparate DX Grunt!

You'll understand when you meet him!!!!!!! Hahahaha

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

pearcey
9th February 2013, 10:13 PM
Just taped another $12 18 lt keg of COOPERS Larger tastes great .

taslucas
10th February 2013, 08:22 AM
Went into the bottle shop on Wednesday. There was only two brands of full strength beer that were under $50 a carton!!!!!
Ended up trying Dry dock lagar from WA. That stuff is horrible guys! Stop sending it over! Lol

FanTapstic!

Irvs
10th February 2013, 08:43 AM
That dry dock gives me the worst headaches, its like its desigbed to give you a hangover

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

taslucas
10th February 2013, 08:47 AM
Haha funny you should say that. I got a super bad headache that afternoon. It's cr@p beer!

FanTapstic!

MC97GQ
10th February 2013, 10:50 AM
BWS has Crownies for $85 for two cartons,

Wouldn't pay the normal freight($60) but when it's that cheap it sure beats drinking Carlton Draught.

Mark

Clunk
10th February 2013, 03:43 PM
Went into the bottle shop on Wednesday. There was only two brands of full strength beer that were under $50 a carton!!!!!
Ended up trying Dry dock lagar from WA. That stuff is horrible guys! Stop sending it over! Lol

FanTapstic!

Thatswhy it's sent over there coz know one us daft enough to drink it over here lol

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

taslucas
10th February 2013, 04:49 PM
Thatswhy it's sent over there coz know one us daft enough to drink it over here lol

Daft enough to make it is daft enough!!

FanTapstic!

Clunk
10th February 2013, 05:23 PM
Never even heard of it....... Much like VB lol

Kast
11th February 2013, 01:05 PM
Why do you think we ship it over? Might have something to do with a willing (?!) market for those desparate enough in the east!