PDA

View Full Version : RD28t to TD42t conversion, quick glow conversion and speedo questions.

bigbadbarrythebartender
23rd January 2013, 08:33 PM
Hi all

I am new to your forum but have visited a few times when searching for info and have always found it a wealth of knowledge.

I have owned my current GQ Patrol since 1998 and have just completed (well apart from the bugs) a td42t conversion on it. My Patrol is a 97 rd28t GQ wagon and the engine and box came from a 99 GU ute. So far I am very happy with the result, the new engine has so much torque it just flys up hills in 4th or 5th where the RD28t you where continually shuffling through gears.

I have a couple of questions at this point I guess,

1: Has anyone done this conversion and has any info on the wiring to convert the quick glow systems over? I read on another thead about running only one of the glow plug wires and the problem of the glow lamp flashing till it warms up, which is what I have done. The problems I see with my current setup are that the old engine ran 6.5 volt glow plugs and the new one runs 11 volt plugs. Plus the TD42t has a manifold heater. It starts fine but I have to wonder if that will be the same in colder climates.

2: The speedo Is way out, when it reads 35 the car is doing 60. Just like back in the 70's when it changed from MPH to KPH.
I have two problems I think I am dealing with, the speedo unit in the gearbox is GU and I wonder if it is not compatible with the GQ speedo head. Also the diff ratio is now 4.6:1 as opposed to 4.1:1 in the GU. Anyone got ant Ideas?

Thanks in advance.