PDA

View Full Version : Stability control

Shack 2012 ST8
23rd January 2013, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how the stability control works on a 2012 ST8???
Looking at putting a lift wanna know if it will effect it?

lorrieandjas
23rd January 2013, 04:03 PM
Hi mate - my very vague knowledge of it is that it is based on sensors which feedback to a processer which then determines if it is outside certain parameters to reduce power, apply braking, etc. Others will no doubt have more knowledge of this.

Jas

Morton
24th January 2013, 07:53 AM
my understanding is it does affect the car but this is heresay for now, I know there are issues with the powers to be in regards to the lift with anything with stability control, I believe your best bet is to go to a ARB shop in your area if they are in WA??? as ARB will not do anything that is slightly iffy, otherwise a local shop equivalant to ARB in WA, I have been asked by a couple of people to look into this but at this stage I have not been able to get a straight answer, no one seems to really know, I am attending a meeting on Monday night where I am going to present this question & hope for some clarification, sometimes that can take months to get an answer

Morton
24th January 2013, 07:55 AM
, sometimes that can take months to get an answer

sometimes years infact

Maxhead
24th January 2013, 08:15 AM
Here's a good read: http://victorianissannews.com/2009/10/27/the-safety-of-nissans-vehicle-dynamic-control-system-vdc-explained/

How Nissan’s VDC works -

Seven sensors on your Nissan determine what is happening at any given instant.

Four wheel speed sensors monitor the speed of each wheel individually, and compare the wheels speed to the actual vehicle speed.
The brake pressure sensor monitors the amount of brake pressure being applied to the wheels by the driver.
The steering angle sensor monitors the angle of the steering wheel to help determine if the vehicle is going where the driver wants it to go.
The yaw rate/lateral g-sensor in the middle of the vehicle monitors the vehicles position in relation to the road. These sensors help determine if the vehicle is moving in a direction different from its steered path – for example, if it’s sliding through a curve.
Together, these seven sensors provide the VDC control unit with info about the vehicles behavior at any instant. Based on this information the VDC control unit sends a signal to activate the anti-lock brakes, traction control, throttle or individual brakes as needed to help the driver maintain control.

How the Nissan VDC helps you in a skid by compensating for Oversteer and Understeer

If a vehicle “oversteers” when driving through a slippery curve, the back of the vehicle will tend to slide outward. WithNissan’s VDC, the system senses the beginning of a slide and reacts by braking the outside wheels and reducing engine power to generate force in the opposite direction of the spin. This help the vehicle maintain the path that the driver wants to go.

If a vehicle “understeers” on a similar curve, the front wheels lose traction and push out beyond the line of intended travel. In this situation, VDC applies brake force to the inside wheels and reduces engine power. The front wheels regain their grip, and the driver can maintain the steered line of travel.

In both cases, full power becomes available again as soon as the VDC has helped stabilize the vehicle. This immediate return of full power is what gives Nissan’s VDC system a distinct advantage over some of our competitor’s systems.

Benefits of Nissan’s Vehicle Dynamic Control System

Vehicle Dynamic Control is an important safety feature:

It helps compensate for oversteer and understeer by controlling brake pressure in one or more wheels and by controlling engine power output.
It enhances performance in emergency avoidance maneuvers and helps provide improved control even on slippery road surfaces.
It works automatically and seamlessly – in fractions of a second.

Coldcomfort
24th January 2013, 11:00 AM
I have my 2012 wagon booked in next week at ARB for suspension upgrade. I am only going for a one inch lift. They said that there are no issues with DSC or any other electronics on the car. I hope I dont find out the hard way that they are wrong!!....

Shack 2012 ST8
24th January 2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the information!
Trying to put a 4 inch into my wagon I know people
Have fitted them already so just trying to
Find out if any mods were needed.

Thanks nisshead I rung about 3 nissan dealers here in WA
And all gave the same answer " I have no idea actually"

Cold comfort your lift will be fine heaps of ppl have said they have fitted
2 inch lifts with no problems!

Once again thanks

gu8 patrol
24th January 2013, 06:32 PM
I have a 2012 gu st,ive had a 2 inch lift on now for 8 months,havnt had any problems with it,opposite lock midland did the install

Shack 2012 ST8
24th January 2013, 08:27 PM
Yeah I rung them GU8 they Mentioned they had fitted a 2 inch but
Weren't aware it had stability control.

Morton
24th January 2013, 08:29 PM
I have a 2012 gu st,ive had a 2 inch lift on now for 8 months,havnt had any problems with it,opposite lock midland did the install

there you go, sounds like all is good

Shack 2012 ST8
25th January 2013, 04:13 PM
Morton,

Heaps of people are saying 2" is fine
Was just wondering if anyone had gone higher.

gu8 patrol
25th January 2013, 04:53 PM
the reason i went 2 inch was because ive read somewhere that anything over that and you start having big problems with everything,im sure someone will eventually get around that though