PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Worcester (UK)

GarryMartin
23rd January 2013, 08:45 AM
Hello!

I'm a prospective Patrol owner from Worcester in the United Kingdom. Been looking at various forums for advice and guidance and hoping to be able to contribute more fully in the future when I get my hands on a 2003/04/05 Y61.

In the meantime, I'd just like to say thanks for all the time and effort that has obviously gone into the many informative posts on the various forums.

Any buying advice gratefully received!

Best regards, Garry

AB
23rd January 2013, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the forum Garry, if you don't get much response here try starting a new thread to ask any questions as a lot of people don't read the introductions.

GarryMartin
23rd January 2013, 09:05 AM
if you don't get much response here try starting a new thread to ask any questions

Good advice. And thanks for the welcome too - I can already see that I'm going to lose so much time on the forums; there's just so much useful information. :biggrin:

growler2058
23rd January 2013, 09:29 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
BTW good sauce that you mob have over there ;)

Rock out with ya..........tap out

threedogs
23rd January 2013, 09:34 AM
Gday mate welcome to the forum, heaps of tips and info here,,great ppl as well
T/D 4.2 is the go if you find a Y61 at the right price or 04 or latter depending on $$$$$
jump in anytime and enjoy

Dhuck
23rd January 2013, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bigrig
23rd January 2013, 09:44 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

lorrieandjas
23rd January 2013, 09:49 AM
Hi Garry and welcome to the forum mate. Great bunch of people on here and heaps of tips and advice. Feel free to jump in with any questions or answers!

Jas

Bloodyaussie
23rd January 2013, 09:58 AM
Welcome aboard mate.................

GarryMartin
23rd January 2013, 10:12 AM
Wow. Don't think I've *ever* joined an online community and had so many warm, genuine welcomes in such a short space of time. You guys rock. :biggrin:

Sir Roofy
23rd January 2013, 10:21 AM
Welcome to theforum gary,enjoy

bm0
23rd January 2013, 11:16 AM
Welcome! Good to see so many international users!

MEGOMONSTER
23rd January 2013, 01:15 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Maxhead
23rd January 2013, 02:38 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Morton
23rd January 2013, 05:39 PM
welcome mate, enjoy the site & see you on the tracks sometime

taslucas
23rd January 2013, 08:35 PM
Gday Garry, welcome to the forum mate. Plenty of great info here. Cant wait to see some pics if your new rig

healy
23rd January 2013, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

PMC
23rd January 2013, 09:44 PM
G'day Garry,

Welcome aboard this great forum mate, i hope you find the information that you are looking for!

Regards,

RLI

thedogzeus
24th January 2013, 08:17 PM
Welcome Mate!

my third 256
25th January 2013, 07:02 AM
hi and welcom to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

GarryMartin
25th January 2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks again for all the kind welcomes.

Off to see a 2004 Patrol 3.0Di SVE Auto in the morning. Fingers crossed... ;-)

threedogs
25th January 2013, 07:24 AM
Goodluck look forward to some pics ,I have an 04 st but
whats the SVE model?

GarryMartin
25th January 2013, 07:32 AM
whats the SVE model?

I'm in the UK, so the models are a little different. The SVE was the range topping specification in 2004 - full leather, 7 seats, climate control, 6-disc CD etc. etc.

GarryMartin
26th January 2013, 05:27 AM
Off to see a 2004 Patrol 3.0Di SVE Auto in the morning. Fingers crossed... ;-)

Well, the finger crossing didn't work. There was a little *too* much work required for the price being asked, so the search continues.

growler2058
26th January 2013, 05:33 AM
Bummer mate. Something will turn up

fracster
26th January 2013, 06:28 AM
Hi Garry, from another pom.

GarryMartin
26th January 2013, 06:32 AM
Hi fracster.

Beginning to think there should be more Patrols for sale in the UK than there are given the amount of UK activity on forums. That or everyone must like theirs so much they can't bear to part with them! ;-)

fracster
26th January 2013, 08:05 PM
I would not sell mine to be honest, I like it. Seems to be usually about 30 for sale across Autotrader and the bay. Same ones all the time though.

I plumped for a 2.8 6 potter over a 3.0 4 cyl. Just personal choice.SVE as well.

There are a few things to be careful of across any model.Check under the plastic wheel arch trims, they are serious rust traps. The calipers seize and need regular cleaning and relubing for example. Quite a few I looked at had been very badly serviced and maintained, just be careful and do the usual used car checks.

GarryMartin
26th January 2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I can't claim to have ninja engineering and mechanical skills, but I guess I am pretty competent if I can follow a clear set of instructions. What I am particularly good at though is research and analysis, and I've done quite a lot of that to decide on a particular model, year and specification.

Although the interest in why a Nissan Patrol over other available vehicles is probably of less interest on these forums, I will write up a post when I get time walking through the research and analysis I did.

In the end, in came down to choosing between a 2003/04/05 3.0 Di SVE and a 98/99/2000 2.8 TD SE Touring (incidentally, I've never seen a 2.8 TD SVE for sale, didn't even know it came in that trim!) and I went for the 3.0 Di because service intervals and maintenance were a little better, it was a little more powerful, and being later vehicles (and me not being a mechanic or engineer) I *hoped* there would be less wear and tear issues needing attention.

Haven't been completely put off the 2.8 TD though, and if one came up at a great price, I'd still seriously consider it. You just can't attempt to see everything when the distances involved to inspect them are so great! ;-)

It's a third car for a two driver family (I drive a company car, and it's another long story of analysis about trying to build all our requirements into one car and therefore compromising most of the time it is being driven, or taking the two key requirements and splitting them over two cars instead - best of both worlds!)

Have to say, I'd never factored in the warmth and willingness to help of a community, but on this forum and a couple of others I've been astounded by the welcomes and the willingness to help and advise.

Cheers, Garry

fracster
26th January 2013, 09:11 PM
Just checked the V5 and you are correct, it is an SE Touring. The spec you listed for the SVE is similar,leather straight through, CD changer,heated seats, climate control etc are all in mine. I believe you are also correct in that the SVE spec came in on later models. I did some googling............:D

If you need any advice on problems that I have had with mine, just ask. I have had it 6 months or so now and have had to sort a few previous "repairs" out.

Clunk
26th January 2013, 09:19 PM
We do what we can do mate, whether we're knowledgeable or not lol

While you're doing the research on the 3ltr, do a search on grenade and nads...... just so you have all the information you need before making your final decision

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

GarryMartin
26th January 2013, 10:48 PM
While you're doing the research on the 3ltr, do a search on grenade and nads

That's an interesting one. I've seen all the horror stories and the recommended modifications, and I know there's a lot of "my brother's mate Dave said" about some the information out there, but here's what I've been able to piece together from all the information and posts I've found:

It *seems* to be *mostly* linked to early ZD30DDTi engines (2000/2001) (although not exclusively)
There haven't been enough failures from a percentage perspective to warrant Nissan intervention
Other vehicles with the *same* ZD30DDTi engines (2000/2001 and beyond) don't seem to suffer from the issues
Almost *all* of the reported failures come from Australia (factoring causation and correlation due to the market size in Australia for the Patrol)

And here's my one outstanding question that hasn't been answered...

Is it possibly climate and conditions related? Does it affect all territories or is it mostly centered on a particular area?

Would welcome your thoughts. Hoping the UK is immune... ;-)

Cheers, Garry

GarryMartin
26th January 2013, 10:50 PM
Just checked the V5 and you are correct, it is an SE Touring

Phew! Thought my ninja research skills had missed something for a minute then. :jawdrop:

Clunk
26th January 2013, 11:05 PM
Is it possibly climate and conditions related? Does it affect all territories or is it mostly centered on a particular area?

Would welcome your thoughts.

Cheers, Garry

I believe there's been cases over all states in Australia so I don't think its centred to one area here. I drive a petrol Y60/gq, so haven't really paid a huge amount of attention to the plight of the oil burners..... all to do with over boosting and high egts etc etc......... whether that could be due to harsher climates here, I couldn't say.......... but you do bring up some good points

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

GarryMartin
27th January 2013, 02:39 AM
So far, I haven't found recorded evidence of failures in the UK, but statistically the sample might be too low - there don't seem to be that many around here; certainly not that many for sale.

I'd hoped that by excluding the 2000/01/02 from my searches, even if the same problems manifested themselves on UK specification models, I would avoid them.

And of course, the NADS guides and preventative advice won't make any potential problem *worse* will they? ;-)

fracster
27th January 2013, 03:13 AM
Another thing to consider Garry, is that people join internet forums when they have problems,not usually when everything is going well. A quick look around will show that many new threads are started by people new to the forum who are experiencing problems.I wonder what the overall statistic is,percentage wise, of 3.0 failures. Whether the NADS is climate related, I don`t know but I believe it to be so,just my opinion.

I know that the UK early Navara engines had problems, but that was a poorly designed oil pick up problem.

GarryMartin
27th January 2013, 03:17 AM
Another thing to consider Garry, is that people join internet forums when they have problems...

Or when they're looking to buy their first Patrol! ;-)

But your observation is solid.

Also strange how many people join, post "hello" 25 times, and then are never seen again... wonder why that is? :-)

fracster
27th January 2013, 03:23 AM
Absolutely agree Garry, makes perfect sense to join and research before buying .

I joined this forum because I like to tinker and mend my car, the wealth of knowledge on here is immense and is given freely.That is very much appreciated as well.

fracster
27th January 2013, 03:29 AM
There is a low mileage 2.8 on autotrader at £4k just now Garry. Very few 3.0 litres though.

There is a 4.2 petrol as well, if you fancy something "retro".

Clunk
27th January 2013, 03:37 AM
There is a low mileage 2.8 on autotrader at £4k just now Garry. Very few 3.0 litres though.

Hahaha that the first time I've heard petrol being called Retro........... damn thirsty maybe but not Retro ;)

fracster
27th January 2013, 03:42 AM
Hahaha that the first time I've heard petrol being called Retro........... damn thirsty maybe but not Retro ;)

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! DuhIt is a Y60, not many of them knocking about over here mate. The one for sale is a high roof as well.

Link to said vehicle, though why it is chocked with bits of wood rings alarm bells................:D

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301134902144/sort/default/usedcars/model/patrol/make/nissan/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/bb115da?logcode=p

Clunk
27th January 2013, 04:00 AM
Looks nice and clean though, wonder if the hand brake is a bit stuffed?

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

GarryMartin
27th January 2013, 04:24 AM

With pump prices what they are in the UK, I'd need a second mortgage to run something like that!

I have automatic searches on Autotrader and eBay emailing me new cars as soon as they come up. Any other places I should be looking (UK)?

GarryMartin
27th January 2013, 04:31 AM
I'd have thought our Aussie friends would have preferred this one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301255052719

Nissan Patrol 4.8 Petrol ST 5dr Auto GU STATION WAGON 2003 (Aussie Spec)

:biggrin:

Clunk
27th January 2013, 12:02 PM
I'd have thought our Aussie friends would have preferred this one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301255052719

Nissan Patrol 4.8 Petrol ST 5dr Auto GU STATION WAGON 2003 (Aussie Spec)

:biggrin:

You'll find that most Aussies tend to go for diesel due the the mileage you get out of them........ me I like my petrols lol

Hoochthepooch
27th January 2013, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the forum buddy, best place to go for any patrol related info