PDA

View Full Version : '96 GQ RD28T Glow Problems

rd28t_anchor
23rd January 2013, 12:19 AM
hi guys, has anyone had any success with converting their rd28t glow system to a single type of plug and relay? i've found a kit on ebay which suggests this will work, but i am not sure how to wire it in.

the 2nd stage of the glow is not coming on, so she runs rough on cold start and pumps the front yard full of white smoke.

Yendor
26th January 2013, 12:01 AM
Do you have a link to the kit?

What does the glow plug warning light in the dash do? does it flash?

Have you checked each glow plug? did they get replaced when the engine was rebuilt?

If stage one is working your fault with sage two is more then likely a faulty number 2 glow plug relay.

my third 256
27th January 2013, 01:28 AM
here you go
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121033317657?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yendor
27th January 2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah that's the one that I found too.

I wasn't sure if that was the one the OP was talking about because it comes with a wiring diagram.

Your probably most qualified with doing this conversion. :wink:

lachiek
28th January 2013, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, did anyone commit to buying this kit?

I'm interested because I can't find a replacement for the 2nd stage relay (Jideco Glow Relay 25230 22J01 MR8T-861 12V 50517) which is stuffed on my truck.

Looking at the ebay kit I can't see how the afterglow component would work as there is only 1 relay? Without the afterglow component you might as well just get a set of TD42 plugs and a basic relay and bin the short bar. i.e. follow the ebay instructions but get the parts yourself for cheaper.

Make sense?

Yendor
31st January 2013, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, did anyone commit to buying this kit?

I'm interested because I can't find a replacement for the 2nd stage relay (Jideco Glow Relay 25230 22J01 MR8T-861 12V 50517) which is stuffed on my truck.

Looking at the ebay kit I can't see how the afterglow component would work as there is only 1 relay? Without the afterglow component you might as well just get a set of TD42 plugs and a basic relay and bin the short bar. i.e. follow the ebay instructions but get the parts yourself for cheaper.

Make sense?

Going by the description at the bottom of the wiring diagram.

The relay has 3 timers built in.

One for the glow plug warning light.

One to turn on the glow plugs before starting

The last one operates the afterglow

Benno7
31st January 2013, 09:01 PM
What I did when I had the 2.8 is in ripped all the std glow plugs and system out. Then I got a 12v redarc Glow plug controller and a set of td42 glow plugs and worked a treat.

lachiek
8th February 2013, 08:45 AM
Cheers guys, I've tested the whole system. Surprised to find out (checked with local car sparky) that the stage 2 relay is fine - the Gregorys has the test instructions arse about.
Anyway the root cause of my probs is the first stage relay timer has failed (only glows for 3 seconds when should get at least 6 but preferrably 10.

I'm gonna give the ebay solution a go and rip out the entire second stage while I'm there. Will post pics.

Benno7
8th February 2013, 11:21 AM
I would try and get the relay by it self and get a good quality set of glow plugs as I have heard that some of the Ebay glow plugs the tips break off and do some wicked damage resulting in an engine rebuild.
I paid about $16ea for NGK glow plugs from Bursons.

stevogq
8th February 2013, 01:16 PM
My car does the same sometimes and blows a little smoke on startup never knew it was a problem?
cheers stevo.

rd28t_anchor
9th February 2013, 11:43 PM
i did purchase the kit. going to get it installed this week when im not working. keep yas posted on how it goes.

Yendor
11th February 2013, 05:58 PM
i did purchase the kit. going to get it installed this week when im not working. keep yas posted on how it goes.

That would be great.

Can you also record how long the 2nd stage (after glow) stays on for and if it pulses on and off or just stays on.

Don't forget to post an introduction as well.

Cheers Rodney

lachiek
4th March 2013, 09:54 PM
Yeah nice one Anchor - looking forward to hearing how it goes. Pics?