PDA

View Full Version : Installing Pertronix ignitor II Distributor shaft machining

TJH
22nd January 2013, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, im installing an ignitor II in my patrol and as some of you may be aware the Flange on the distributor shaft just under where the rotor button screws in must be machined down to a certain width. Does anybody know of any where in perth, north of the swan, i could get this done?
thanks
-TJ

taslucas
22nd January 2013, 09:36 PM
Gday mate, my mate and I have done both of ours. Quite easy to do yourself. First remove the dissy (ofcourse marking where it was) then put it in a vice sideways so that the shaft spins freely. Then we put a drill on the gear end to turn it. Then hold a file on the flange while the shaft is spinning and it'll slowly machine it down. Do it in small amounts and keep checking the size as you go. I also had to file down the small white spacer so that the rotor would slide back down into its original position.

FanTapstic!

TJH
22nd January 2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Lucas, but i dont really wanna do it that way id rather get it machined properly on a metal lathe. thanks anyways

taslucas
22nd January 2013, 10:15 PM
Very easy and it comes up perfect. You don't have to remove the whole flange just take a bit off it. I don't know how they would do it professionally but I don't think it would be very different.
The file method really does come up a treat

FanTapstic!

Morton
24th January 2013, 09:05 AM
Taslucas, champion idea bud, that is upstairs in the brain tank now for future reference, thanks mate

TJH
27th January 2013, 12:53 AM
Found an auto electrics place near my work with a metal lathe, Charged me $25.00 to machine the shaft...:)

taslucas
27th January 2013, 10:04 AM
Good stuff, that's cheap.

FanTapstic!

pacs
6th March 2013, 12:27 PM
Great tip for machining the flange taslucas love your work! how is your beast going no further lockup issues I hope

taslucas
6th March 2013, 12:56 PM
Great tip for machining the flange taslucas love your work! how is your beast going no further lockup issues I hope

Nah the lockup issue just "went away". I've still no idea why, or if it'll cone back!

FanTapstic!

pacs
6th March 2013, 12:59 PM
That is always the worst not knowing what corrected the fault :/
Going to fit my pertronix kit tonight now that I have seen this tip cheers

taslucas
6th March 2013, 01:19 PM
Good stuff pacs, you'll see a big difference in economy

FanTapstic!

wannabeturboed
1st May 2014, 09:45 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the mod to the shaft needed for pertronix ignition 2 before and after the grind I haven't pulled my distributer apart yet cause the car is my daily work horse and I can't afford to stuff up so if someone is able to post a pic it would be great thanks

GQ TANK
3rd May 2014, 09:34 PM
I ground my dizzy today. I pulled the dizzy apart, and found I could pull the shaft off. I just span the shaft and ground it done using my bench grinder. (took about 30 seconds)

The bit you need to ground is the stopped for the rotar button. I had to take a mm of the supplied spacer as I could not do up the screw that retains the rotar button.

I went out to the melb supplier of the pertonix,as m,t ls version had a suspect fault - they refunded the money and I brought the magnetic sensor and a flame thower. THEY ARE GREAT TO DEAL WITH

wannabeturboed
25th July 2014, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know what the two blue wires are that are attached to the coil through one ring terminal

GQ TANK
26th July 2014, 04:10 PM
What terminal are they going to.

88 tb4.2 wags
23rd June 2018, 05:53 PM
Heyy man im having problems with mine it wont start did yours do this?