PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Extended Warranty

ova50
22nd January 2013, 09:49 AM
I have not had my GU for very long, and is still under new vehicle warranty.
Over the last two months I have had a couple of things go wrong that required work.
When in Qld the fuel rail srung a leak & was replaced, while at the dealer I asked them if they could fit up a new fan belt as the one on it was sometimes squealing. Turned out the tensioner was seized and was also replaced. Yesterday it was back at another dealer (in Sydney), it had lost power and was blowing excessive black smoke when the vehicle had warmed up. Apparently the egr and egr pipe was replaced.

While at the dealer I was asked if I wanted to take out Nissan Extended Warranty on the Patrol. (It has about 90000 ks on it). As the wife & I are currently travelling this great country (all though we are back in Syd at the moment) I am seriously considering this warranty option. The cost for it is just over $1400, and will cover me for another 12 months or up to 150000ks (which ever comes first)

As I said, I havent had my Patrol for very long and really have no idea of the vehicles reliablity at this stage, and think it may be a wise choice to take up the offer.

My question is: What experience have any of you had with this extended warranty??
Thanks

lorrieandjas
22nd January 2013, 09:55 AM
Hi mate - they are good - BUT. There are two Nissan plans - basic and premium. Make sure if you do get extended warranty you go for the premium package - they should give you a brochure with the inclusions/exclusions for you to compare. For example - under the basic plan only basic steering/suspension components are covered - under the premium all components are covered including bushes, etc.

Jas

Squalo
22nd January 2013, 10:22 AM
I'd get it for sure if you will have the vehicle for the duration.

Although the CRD is a great motor, it's not immune to problems. Here's a few things that might pop up:

- cracked intercooler
- oil weep around timing gear case
- oil weep at a bung in the engine block
- oil weep at rear of motor
- cracked exhaust manifold, or broken stud(s) holding it on
- bubbled dashpad (looks like little volcanoes all over it)

I have experienced quite a few of the above; all covered by warranty with no question. Mine is a 2008 with 87,000km on it so I am covered to April 2014 or 150,000km.

Nissan has also replaced both swivelhub seals under warranty so they (my dealer at least) doesn't seem to have too much of a problem with the fact that I use it hard offroad. In fact a few of the guys in the dealership have commented positively on how it is set-up, and obviously driven, for serious offroad work.

the evil twin
22nd January 2013, 10:37 AM
What Squalo said X 2. It's a no brainer IMHO... (the 150,000 K's are correct but are you sure the 12 months is right, should be 2 years or so I thought unless it's changed)

Anyhooooow... My extended warranty has paid for itself about 3 times over.

Nissbits on here was selling the premium extened warranty a bit cheaper than that or you could try to negotiate with the Dealer

ova50
23rd January 2013, 09:47 AM
Looking at the brochure I was supplied there is no mention of "Basic" or "Premium".
The two shown are:
Extradrive, which will covers the vehicle for either 1,2 or 3 years and up to 150000ks (which ever comes first)
Extratime. This only covers to 100000ks over 1,2 or 3 years.
Both of these have the same cover listed in the brochure.
An extra year up to 150000 is $1430. 2 years to 150000 is $1840 and 3 years to 150000 is $2240.
Thanks

the evil twin
23rd January 2013, 10:49 AM
Strewth... mine was waaay cheaper than that for an extended full factory warranty out another 3 years or 150,000.

As I said prev... PM Nissbits and see what he can sell you one for and confirm if indeed there has been that big a price rise

Squalo
23rd January 2013, 01:02 PM
Mine was extra 3yrs and 150k, for $1330 or so. This is nearly two years ago.

Perhaps what you have been offered is a dealership extended warranty? Don't even think about taking it if that's the case. Factory extended warranty only!!!

+1 on talking to Nissbits, Gary is excellent to deal with. I'd have bought through him if I knew at the time he offered it.

Squalo
23rd January 2013, 01:22 PM
Had a look at the Nissan website and ExtraDrive and ExtraTime seem to be the genuine article. Looks like Nissan seriously bumped their prices over the last couple of years.

jack
23rd January 2013, 01:56 PM
I've been following this with interest, my local dealer has their own extended warranty but you MUST get your vehicle serviced by them. That's not possible if you're traveling. Previously I have had new cars serviced by my local mechanic, you can get your service done at a non Nissan dealer workshop (provided they are certified/endorsed - VACC in Victoria). Any warranty items have to go back to Nissan, my local mechanic charges about 40% of the Nissan capped price servicing and uses only genuine Nissan parts.

Looked through the leaflet on the extended warranty to see if it had to be serviced by an Authorised Nissan Dealer and found this:

It is recommended that maintenance services and warranty
rectification be performed at an Authorised Nissan Dealer
since that Authorised Nissan Dealer has a direct interest in
your continued satisfaction.

From the looks of that I can go to my local mechanic, I'll wait till after my Cape trip and make some enquiries.

ova50
23rd January 2013, 09:21 PM
Yes it is a Nissan factory warranty, and had a good read through the brochure. Recommended only that it be serviced through Nissan.
At the rear of the brochure it has quite a few servicing slips where it can be stamped by a business that has done the service.
From what I have read it continues to cover the same as the original warranty.

3kids
23rd March 2013, 07:31 PM
Can anyone simply explain the difference between the factory and dealer warranty??
I am shocked that they are possibly so different and that one is considered to be rubbish.
Thanks

Squalo
27th March 2013, 01:45 AM
Can anyone simply explain the difference between the factory and dealer warranty??
I am shocked that they are possibly so different and that one is considered to be rubbish.
Thanks

Well I think the first thing to clarify is that we are talking about extended warranty, not the warranty that is part and parcel of a new vehicle purchase - which is three years with a new Patrol.

And on that - even though new vehicle warranty comes as part of the purchase price, regardless of what price you negotiate with the dealer for the cost of the vehicle, they might try to sell the extended warranty during the negotiations on purchase price, but do so in a way that makes you think you are getting a better overall deal at the time. For example, they'll give you two options - 'standard' and 'premium' extended warranty - but they'll make it sound like 'standard' is pretty much what you already have and 'premium' is what you really need. Even though both don't kick in for three years, when the factory warranty expires. That's what sales people are taught to do...

The dealer warranty coverage is very limited compared to the factory warranty - they usually limit it to specific components (eg. only parts of the drivetrain that are part of the lubrication systems - so short motor and head, gearbox, and diffs - the radiator is excluded, the brakes are excluded, the ECU is excluded etc.). They may also have a cap on how much they will cover even if it is approved as a warranty fix, and an excess charge may also apply.

They may also include clauses stating that you need to have the vehicle serviced at x dealership(s) and within no more than 10% of the recommended intervals - miss those and they will try to weasel out of any claims. And the problem here is that they just might get away with that - take it to the ACCC and the response will likely be 'you got your factory three year warranty, and that's what we are here to ensure happens; beyond that, sorry but you should have read the extended warranty fine-print...'

Manufacturers warranties are backed by fairly iron-clad arrangements with third-party insurers, and also by the manufacturers own service level guarantees with their suppliers (this is how Nissan is offsetting the cost of all the GU IV dash replacements - their dash supplier/s is/are wearing the cost because that's what the contract they signed with Nissan said would happen in the event of product failure).

Dealer warranties are also backed by third-party insurers, but the dealers don't (can't) pay the same premiums as the manufacturer, and as a consequence the insurance coverage can't possibly be as comprehensive as that offered by the manufacturers insurer.

Hope that helps answer a few questions :) and welcome to the forum.