PDA

View Full Version : New draglink is rubbing, No clue why

Ben89
21st January 2013, 07:50 PM
G'day, So I finally got around to putting my new gear on my patrol (gq 1990)
I installed a GU steering box, a heavy duty draglink with GU tie rod on one end (for the GU steering box) and GQ tierod end on the other, With a new RTC steering dampner.

When I turn the steering full lock to the right, It rubs up against the panhard rod (which I beleive what it is) and I have no clue why it would be doing this. I thought about spinning the bolt around but it will still rub, Thanks for any help you guys can give me or any suggestions

MudRunnerTD
21st January 2013, 08:01 PM
Bugger. Ok you need another GQ Tie rod end mate. The opposite to what you have now and fit it to that end. It will put the tightening bolt to in font of the drag link instead of behind. Consider what would happen if you swapped it end for end. ;). Because you have a GU tie rod end you can't flip it so you must but the other end and fit it to the left side.

Good luck mate

Ben89
21st January 2013, 08:12 PM
The side that is rubbing is the GQ tierod end, Left hand side of the car as if you were sitting in it, And If I changed the tierod would the angle of the taper be different and not suit it?

MudRunnerTD
21st January 2013, 08:19 PM
The side that is rubbing is the GQ tierod end, Left hand side of the car as if you were sitting in it, And If I changed the tierod would the angle of the taper be different and not suit it?

No so you need to buy a Right hand side Tie Rod End for a GQ and fit it to the left side mate

Ben89
21st January 2013, 08:28 PM
Ahhh! Now I get ya, Sorry to pick your brain once more (Ill still give them a call tomorrow) On superiors H/D drag link both threads are oposite, Do you think they will sell a right side H/D tierod end for the thread at the left hand side? if that makes any sense, Thanks so much mate

MudRunnerTD
21st January 2013, 08:34 PM
Hmmmm? Tricky? Maybe? Ask them mate.

Alternatively you might have to buy a new Left Gu and new Right GQ tie rod end. Fit and flip mate?

MudRunnerTD
21st January 2013, 08:35 PM
I'd be asking them though for sure! They really should have known that mate ??

Morton
21st January 2013, 09:19 PM
print the pics off & take it down to them, it will be easier to explain to them, just looks like they threw the wrong tierod on the end

Ben89
21st January 2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah Ill be giving them a call tomorrow, Sadly I live in victoria, But I'll be emailing them tonight about it aswell

Ben89
22nd January 2013, 06:13 PM
Got it sorted, Turns out that the drag link was the wrong way around, Not my piss up. I rang Superior engineering before I installed it to ask which tie rod was which, and they told me the wrong ones, But the guy I spoke to last on the phone (rhys) put me in the right direction so now both bolts are facing towards the front of the patrol, Woohoo! one little project down and a few more to go

growler2058
22nd January 2013, 06:20 PM
Good to hear it was an easy fix mate

Morton
22nd January 2013, 10:10 PM
always good when an easy fix, I have learnt 2 new things this week that has helped out immensly, both electrical which I am sh^te at

lorrieandjas
22nd January 2013, 11:56 PM
Nice to see you got it sorted mate.

Jas

BigRAWesty
23rd January 2013, 12:49 AM
So what's different from Q to U rod ends? Sounds like they fit each other?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Ben89
23rd January 2013, 06:22 AM
Well they get to the point where they do fit like each other nearly but the tapers are different. There's very minute difference but they can come off when driving