PDA

View Full Version : Speedo, temp gauge and ignition lights not working

LukeV
21st January 2013, 03:38 PM
Hi all, just chasing a bit of help.

I've noticed the other day that the speedo has stopped working. On closer inspection I also found that the temp gauge had also stopped working. On top of this when I turn ignition on I no longer get any warning lights on the dash. This is all very strange as it was all working fine, now it's not.

I've checked all the fuses with test light, all are good. I've swapped the relays around (ones next to fuses) and they all appear to be good. Also checked fuses under the bonnet, again appear good. At a bit of a loss right now, and it's starting to do my head in.

As a side note, the little blue a/c button light no longer lights up either. I've scoured the net for the last couple of days but haven't had any luck finding problem. I've found variations of similar problems but nothing the same or any fixes.

Any help or advice would be great, as I'd rather not take it to auto elec if its just a simple fix.

Thanks, Luke.

LukeV
21st January 2013, 03:39 PM
Sorry, meant to add that it's a 1990 GQ, with a 308 conversion, used to run a diesel TD42,if that helps.

threedogs
21st January 2013, 03:45 PM
Maybe an earth ,but Yendor is your man,

LukeV
21st January 2013, 03:57 PM
Without sounding simple, is there specific earths for speedo/instrument cluster? Lots of wires and earths from what I can see. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Yendor
21st January 2013, 05:38 PM
Hi Luke,

Does the fuse for the warning lamps and gauges have power when the ignition is turned on?, fuse box inside the vehicle.

When you turn your headlights on does the instrument cluster still light up?

Cheers Rodney

LukeV
21st January 2013, 05:47 PM
Hi Luke,

Does the fuse for the warning lamps and gauges have power when the ignition is turned on?, fuse box inside the vehicle.

When you turn your headlights on does the instrument cluster still light up?

Cheers Rodney

Yeah all of the fuses have power to them. I had to replace the ENG CONTROL one the other day as even though it looked good, test light showed otherwise - plus engine wouldn't fire at the time. Replaced it, engine fired, power at fuse when checked with test light, but still no speedo or ignition/warning lights

Yes, when I turn lights on, the cluster lights up as normal. Checked that last night.

Yendor
21st January 2013, 06:00 PM
Check the fuse holder for the warning lamps and gauges fuse, they are prone to breaking and then they don't grip the fuse tightly.

Check the wiring at the back of the fuse box for melted wires or any damage.

If you have power in and out of the warning lamps and gauges fuse then your problem is somewhere in the wiring between the fuse box and cluster.

Does the vehicle have an old shut down timer still fitted or an alarm system?

LukeV
21st January 2013, 06:11 PM
Check the fuse holder for the warning lamps and gauges fuse, they are prone to breaking and then they don't grip the fuse tightly.

Check the wiring at the back of the fuse box for melted wires or any damage.

If you have power in and out of the warning lamps and gauges fuse then your problem is somewhere in the wiring between the fuse box and cluster.

Does the vehicle have an old shut down timer still fitted or an alarm system?

Thanks mate. I'll check these things out. As far as I know there's no alarm or timer on it.

LukeV
22nd January 2013, 12:14 PM
Well I'm not sure what i have done, but the problem seems to have been fixed. Perhaps t was a bad connection somewhere, and between pulling fuses, relays and earths in and out the problem seems to have sorted itself. Doesn't help me isolate the problem but at least its gone. CHEERS FOR THE HELP ALONG THE WAY.

LUKE