PDA

View Full Version : Donnallys creek fire.

chester
20th January 2013, 09:24 AM
The fire has burnt all the way from codes flat to mcevoys and was heading for Mt useful and the springs.
So far i have found out that the Toonbom pub and 4 surrounding buildings were lost,the Toonbom cemerty was also burnt.
The following are unconfirmed but i was told this by a fella who has worked closely with the DSE in the area and they are keeping him updated with phone calls.

Jorganson's hut,Goonans hut,Loyds hut and the newly rebult store point hut have all been burnt.All the work my dad and i have done at the Edwards reef cemerty has been lost,with the help of the DSE and another fella we had new signs put up and a new fence and gate all has been lost.

Im not 100% sure how it started but unconfirmed reports are there were some campers who let their campfire go,also heard that it started on private land when the owner was burning off.
Time will tell how it started i guess.

Im heading up next saturday with my Dad to check things out if we can get in ill take some pics and let you all know how we went.

Winnie
20th January 2013, 09:28 AM
Hey Chester, are you talking about Rudi? I met him last time I was out there and he has been emailing me, he said the Toombon pub is okay though?? That was Thursday he said that though.
This is an absolute tragedy and I really hope it's not as bad as we think?

AB
20th January 2013, 09:28 AM
Bugger mate, I'm sorry to hear that!!!!

chester
20th January 2013, 10:11 AM
Hey Chester, are you talking about Rudi? I met him last time I was out there and he has been emailing me, he said the Toombon pub is okay though?? That was Thursday he said that though.
This is an absolute tragedy and I really hope it's not as bad as we think?Yes i have been talking to Rudi.Here's the thing reports said the pub had been saved which it had,My dad rang the owner on friday night,He said he got a call thursday night from the DSE saying the pub was fine but the buildings around it were gone,he then got a call on friday saying sorry but the pub has been lost during the night.

MC97GQ
20th January 2013, 10:18 AM
That's not good news Chester, It is always sad when people put a lot of time and effort in to preservation and it gets destroyed like this.

Drewboyaus
20th January 2013, 11:48 AM
That is very disappointing. Perhaps we could get some of the folks from around here down for a weekend to help reinstate some of the work your dad has done.....
Once things settle down obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
20th January 2013, 01:21 PM
I know the 4x4 club I'm involved with help out with fencing and general cleaning up of properties and
I'm sure once things quiet down abit heaps will be putting up their hand to help out. Its the aussie thing to do

Sir Roofy
20th January 2013, 01:52 PM
How about it guys nissan patrol .com.au get together and help out chester and his dad
i was up there just before the fires and the cement around there new signs was still green
so we should get behind people like chester his dad and rudi

Winnie
20th January 2013, 02:05 PM
I'd be keen as hell for that. Two of my mates would no doubt come to help too

Drewboyaus
20th January 2013, 02:06 PM
I'd lend a hand.....

Winnie
20th January 2013, 02:14 PM
How about it guys nissan patrol .com.au get together and help out chester and his dad
i was up there just before the fires and the cement around there new signs was still green
so we should get behind people like chester his dad and rudi

Rudi was putting them in last time I went up there which wasn't long ago. He showed me and my mates how to get to the store point cemetery. They were great and such a shame to have lost them. I also saw the Edwards reef cemetery that Chester and his dad look after. Had a nice new gate and fence with a big sign which would have been lost too.

chester
24th January 2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the offer guys,Can't get up there this weekend as the area is still shut.But have been conned into spotting for a mate who has his dozer up this weekend.There goes my long weekend lol bloody night shift too,bit of luck it might take us that way.

threedogs
24th January 2013, 07:48 PM
Ditto on the helping hand I'm sure Simon would give some recognition and maybe 4wd Victoria.
As 4x4 ers we need only the good things written about us. I'm sure most clubs already have clean up
plans, and areas in place . Count me in can't do much but I can do something

Total FIRE BAN on for VIC tomorrow. Seems a lot more fires started by idiots closer to home
Could smell smoke in the morning,but just local grass fire, Wind change tomorrow from the north