PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Leak!

WilliamPatrol
20th January 2013, 01:20 AM
Just recently I took my 3.0L cab into a mechanic, who said he spotted a turbo leak.

What the most common cause of this, just the gasket? And if so how big of job is it to redo the gasket?

If anyone has had anything and know of testing ways to see wheres its from let me know.

Alitis007
20th January 2013, 07:57 AM
Are you talking oil leak or exhaust leaks ie cracked dump pipe or blown gasket?

AB
20th January 2013, 08:01 AM
I would degrease the turbo, exhaust manifold and dump pipe and go for a drive for 10 minutes and start the detective work mate. Hopefully it is a simple fix?

threedogs
20th January 2013, 10:11 AM
My leak ended up being a cracked exhaust just behind the turbo, check with a torch as may be visable, mine was

WYLD333
20th January 2013, 08:09 PM
Prob just a bit of blow by m8, give it a good clean out n c what u can spot

boots
20th January 2013, 08:15 PM
Also if you dont have a catch can fitted yet then it may be crankcase blowby in the intake side .

happygu
20th January 2013, 08:38 PM
WilliamPatrol,

I would give it a clean down as suggested to see what is going on - there probably isn't anything wrong with the Turbo, but there have been a few reports of warped exhaust manifolds so check for leaks there as well.

If it isn't making any screeching and squealing noises when cold - I would say not to worry too much.

WilliamPatrol
21st January 2013, 06:59 PM
WilliamPatrol,

I would give it a clean downas suggested to see what is going on - there probably isn't anything wrong with the Turbo, but there have been a few reports of warped exhaust manifolds so check for leaks there as well.

If it isn't making any screeching and squealing noises when cold - I would say not to worry too much.

There is a squeak when it starts, like a fan belt screech! But once warmed up its fine.

Also whats the best product to clean with? Carvy cleaner, degreaser or CRC?

Ill check dump pipe etc. Hopefully its not the turbo. And I'll get onto buying a Provent.

WilliamPatrol
21st January 2013, 07:00 PM
What is meant by crankcase blow by?

boots
21st January 2013, 08:14 PM
Blow by is present in all piston engines to varying degree's. It's caused by combustion gasses leaking past the piston rings into the crank case, as an engine wears the amount of blow by will increase. With all that hot oil being thrown around inside an engine while it's running there is also an amount of oil mist inside the engine cavities.
The blow by gases need to be vented to stop pressure build up in the crank case (Positive Crankcase Ventilation), any pressure build up would push oil past seals and gaskets. But to just put a vent in the rocker cover would allow oil mist to escape with the gases, creating a unwelcome emission to the atmosphere. This is where recirculating PCV systems come in. By running a hose from the top of the rocker cover back to the air inlet, the oil mist and blow by can be drawn back into the engine to be burnt.
The downside to drawing oil mist back into the engine, is that it coats everything in the air inlet with oil. This oil coating is not normally an issue, but it reduces the effiency of intercoolers, and can leak out if it finds a spot that's not properly sealed. That's why people like myself have started fitting PCV filters to filter out the oil while still allowing the blow by gasses to be drawn back into the engine.
For owners of vehicles with Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensors, if the oil mist is not filtered out, it can after engine shut down, travel back up the air inlet and coat the MAF sensor. This can cause the sensor to incorrectly read the air flow and send false signals to the engine computer. A MAJOR cause of ZD30 engine failure.
This was worded by Tony aka YNOT , thanks Tony .

WilliamPatrol
21st January 2013, 08:54 PM
Well described Boots (Tony), I appreciate it. I will order my Provent tonight then to help filter that blowby!

Cheers again.

Anyone know whats best to use on cleaning near the Turbo?

happygu
21st January 2013, 09:01 PM
There is a squeak when it starts, like a fan belt screech! But once warmed up its fine.

Also whats the best product to clean with? Carvy cleaner, degreaser or CRC?

Ill check dump pipe etc. Hopefully its not the turbo. And I'll get onto buying a Provent.

The squeal when cold will usually be one of the following - the main serpentine belt, idler pulley, cracked EGR Valve, or it could be from a warped exhaust manifold.

Hopefully not the last one for you, as this is the most expensive out of them......

WilliamPatrol
21st January 2013, 10:13 PM
I think it may well be the idler pulley, because doesnt that have an automatic belt tensioner? once its slogged you need to install a new one.

Alitis007
22nd January 2013, 10:31 AM
Well described Boots (Tony), I appreciate it. I will order my Provent tonight then to help filter that blowby!

Cheers again.

Anyone know whats best to use on cleaning near the Turbo?

Degreaser and water BUT MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS COLD SO YOU DON'T CRACK OR WARP ANYTHING! DON'T USE ANYTHING FLAMMABLE ON EXHAUST COMPONENTS COZ YOU MIGHT START A FIRE!