PDA

View Full Version : My rear shelf idea....................Hope you like it, neat, easy and tidy.

WogsRus
19th January 2013, 08:29 PM
Ok so the old Pajero of mine had a shelf in the rear to allow for things like stretcher beds, ect ect. On top it is suitable for 4 x 50L containers to be strapped down, as well as allowing some storage for clothes and the like.

Having the shelf allows me to keep things neat and tidy and no stacked all on top of each other.

I still need to mount the air compressor under one side but over all, including aluminium and the like, probably cost me $200 including the trax from ARB.

Only issue was that i managed to nick the rear door trim, putting a small hole. BUGGA, i fixed it with some supper glue and looks good as new.

What you think

BigRAWesty
19th January 2013, 08:56 PM
Very nice work mate. How strong is the centre?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

WogsRus
19th January 2013, 09:12 PM
pretty good, its 18MM HD MDF, but i have an angle I will put across the back to make sure it can well and truly hold the weight.

BigRAWesty
19th January 2013, 09:18 PM
pretty good, its 18MM HD MDF, but i have an angle I will put across the back to make sure it can well and truly hold the weight.

Another option is to run 30-40mm strips threw the middle on its side, screwed to the underside.
A bit cheaper than alloy angle..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
19th January 2013, 09:19 PM
My rear shelf idea is to have one utilising the very rear OMG handles in cargo area, its only about 8" down from the roof, only to hold some pillow/sleeping bags etc,
check how much room you have looking through your rear view mirror. I'll start soon when properly mobile, Shite at moment, Altis007 was around and
pull out the BBC {Bad back Card} after 1/2 hr, even a few JD didn't help,

WogsRus
19th January 2013, 09:24 PM
I got plenty of ally, from all the past projects ect, i will see how it is when i load up next week and go from there

BigRAWesty
My rear shelf idea is to have one utilising the very rear OMG handles in cargo area, its only about 8" down from the roof, only to hold some pillow/sleeping bags etc,
check how much room you have looking through your rear view mirror. I'll start soon when properly mobile, Shite at moment, Altis007 was around and
pull out the BBC {Bad back Card} after 1/2 hr, even a few JD didn't help,

Great idea..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

megatexture
Looks good thanks for sharing and i would do the angle also, one thing you can do also is unbolt the seat belt and remove the guide it runs into the pillar through and push it all inside out of the way

WogsRus
19th January 2013, 09:29 PM
yeah i was thinking of doing that exactly, ran out of time today.

megatexture
19th January 2013, 09:41 PM
Yea if you remove the guide you can force it sideways inside

threedogs
19th January 2013, 09:48 PM
Looking in the back if you mount your fridge to one side, with one central support a horizontal shelf above the fridge maybe another higher up.
That gives you fridge and 2 shelves on one side and a full storage area on the other, M2CW

WogsRus
19th January 2013, 10:13 PM
I don't have the big fridge in the car, the main fridge is in the camper. I have a small 11L compressor waeco whcih sits between the kids when we travel if we do day trips.

The car is a mix of along range tourer and a weekend of roader so this tends to suits me more, but yeah sounds like a good idea.

AJTich
23rd October 2013, 10:49 PM
That is a cool shelf, and uses the old third seat holes. Looks good, and all the way to the edge.. Nice.

A&J 2004 GU3, 3.0, stock, but not for long.

DIL380
31st March 2014, 08:23 PM
Does that bolt straight into the 3rd row seat holes mate? Brilliant!

sil3nt_dr3ams
31st March 2014, 09:32 PM
Nice work get some kind of sealer on the underside of the mdf, once you scuff the nice shiny surface it has from the shop it loves to draw moisture.