PDA

View Full Version : After market stereo/navigation

Moatmonster
19th January 2013, 01:50 PM
Good morning all,

I just recently won this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360553708659?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_14087wt_1397 and fitted it yesterday, problem is i have now lost my reverse camera from the factory fitted nav system(actually no power at all to the factory nav).
I gather that the factory nav is powered by the original radio but im buggered if i can trace the wiring.

Has anybody else installed one of these units and encountered the same problem and hopefully has a fix for a poor dumb arse like myself?

Thanks in advance.
Moat

wildgu6
19th January 2013, 02:10 PM
Lucky bugga with the win mate, but when it comes to wires I'm as dumb as an Ox. maybe give yendor a PM, he's the man with electrics.
So tell me how you win shiz on fleabay

TAPPN OUT

threedogs
19th January 2013, 02:39 PM
Yendor is the man you seek, was on earlier
great shop that one too

Moatmonster
19th January 2013, 02:58 PM
Lucky bugga with the win mate, but when it comes to wires I'm as dumb as an Ox. maybe give yendor a PM, he's the man with electrics.
So tell me how you win shiz on fleabay

TAPPN OUT

Yeah,stoked with the price,couldn't believe i won it for that amount.They normally sell for $320 Buy it now .Nissan wanted a ridiculous amount for
the latest Sensis maps for the navigation which i quietly told them to bat up their arse.
As for the unit,so far im pretty impressed.A few things could be better but all in all,real happy.

I just need to get the camera working again on the nissan nav (because the misses loves it.....don't ask)
and the volume controls on the steering wheel,which would be good but not a big issue.
Failing not getting the camera to work,i'll contact the mob i got it from and get an after market camera.

Yendor
19th January 2013, 03:27 PM
Hi Moat,

Sorry off the top of my head I don't know and I have had too many brews at the moment to look into this sort of thing for you.

If no one else answers, I will have a look into it tomorrow for you.

Does the navigation system still work? is it only the reverse camera and radio buttons on steering wheel that don't work?

Cheers Rodney

Moatmonster
19th January 2013, 05:51 PM
Hi Moat,

Sorry off the top of my head I don't know and I have had too many brews at the moment to look into this sort of thing for you.

If no one else answers, I will have a look into it tomorrow for you.

Does the navigation system still work? is it only the reverse camera and radio buttons on steering wheel that don't work?

Cheers Rodney

G'day mate,

No rush, im pretty well in the same boat but im in the pool.
Regarding the nissan navigation and camera, i have no power at all to the unit,everything on the Eonon unit works except the volume controls for the steering wheel.

Like i said,no biggie, but if you have an idea on how to fire up the other unit,it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

the evil twin
19th January 2013, 06:01 PM
I am assuming you have the VDO Dayton Sat Nav? The SatNav and factory double din Head unit are completely seperate in function.
However, if you have no power at all to the original Sat Nav I reckon you have dropped it's power feed which could be looped from the original head unit or dislodged a connector "squeezing" the new Head Unit in.
How did you install the Eonon Unit, did you purchase aeropro cable adapters or cut and splice wiring?
If you do have the VDO Dayton is there still power to the electronics and GPS under the drivers seat?
Are your dash lights still working?

Yendor
19th January 2013, 07:48 PM
I am assuming you have the VDO Dayton Sat Nav? The SatNav and factory double din Head unit are completely seperate in function.
However, if you have no power at all to the original Sat Nav I reckon you have dropped it's power feed which could be looped from the original head unit or dislodged a connector "squeezing" the new Head Unit in.
How did you install the Eonon Unit, did you purchase aeropro cable adapters or cut and splice wiring?
If you do have the VDO Dayton is there still power to the electronics and GPS under the drivers seat?

I hope your right.

When I read the first post I was expecting the Nav system to be switch on from the audio system via can-bus.

Moatmonster
19th January 2013, 09:09 PM

G'day Evil,

From what i can tell, yes it's a VDO Dayton, when i removed the factory double din i think from memory i removed 3 plugs but only utilised 2 of those plugs with the Eonon unit. I used aeropro adaptors for installing
so the original nissan plugs are still there.
It appears there is no power to the nav unit under the seat,i will check with a test light tomorrow morning, dash lights are all working.
Im going to remove the eonon tomorrow and have another look around and see if i have missed something.

Thank you all for taking an interest.

the evil twin
19th January 2013, 09:15 PM
I hope your right.

When I read the first post I was expecting the Nav system to be switch on from the audio system via can-bus.

Hiya Yendor,

Could be if it is the Eclipse Sat Nav ( I dunno anything about them as yet). :icon_bonk:

I also don't know when Nissan swapped to them from the Dayton but the older VDO's are dumb as dog doo doo hence my opening disclaimer. I swapped a Chinavasion straight into my '07 and the Eonon are very similar head units.

the evil twin
19th January 2013, 09:24 PM
G'day Evil,

From what i can tell, yes it's a VDO Dayton, when i removed the factory double din i think from memory i removed 3 plugs but only utilised 2 of those plugs with the Eonon unit. I used aeropro adaptors for installing
so the original nissan plugs are still there.
It appears there is no power to the nav unit under the seat,i will check with a test light tomorrow morning, dash lights are all working.
Im going to remove the eonon tomorrow and have another look around and see if i have missed something.

Thank you all for taking an interest.

Cool... I asked about dash lights as a lot of times people get the Head Unit earth and illumination wires confused and blow the dash light fuse.

I am not 100% on where Nissan fitters grab the power for the Sat Nav as my issues were all done under warranty but as it is ACC power then a bit of sleuthing should sort it out. I would be very suprised if they didn't use the head unit power.

Seeing as how the Head unit is working tho it means the fuse must be OK so maybe that "third" plug is the problem

As I mentioned prev to Yendor the Head Unit should be a straight swap (mine was but mine is an 07 ST) but sometimes there are issues getting the logic from the steering wheel controls set up

Moatmonster
19th January 2013, 10:46 PM
Hiya Yendor,

the older VDO's are dumb as dog doo doo .

Lol,doesn't stop Nissan from charging bullshit prices for them.

the evil twin
20th January 2013, 12:48 AM
Lol,doesn't stop Nissan from charging bullshit prices for them.

It's not so much Nissan... It is VDO.

I think the Daytons retailed for $2800 and were a top end Sat Nav for their time. Whille that is still a rip, you have to remember they are a full Sat Nav not just a GPS and have accelerometers/turn sensors/speed averaging etc.

Telstra don't miss out either charging $200 for map updates and you can't use (hack) anyone else

Oh, by the by, I can confirm that my Dayton runs off a feed from the Radio fuse as I went out and pulled the sucker out of curiousity. Where it actually splices in to the wiring I am not sure.

Yendor
20th January 2013, 10:17 AM
I would start by checking the fuses.

Fuse 10 and 28 in the fuse box inside the vehicle and fuse 56 under the bonnet. These fuses do run other electrical items so I don't really think these will be blown.

Have a look around the radio incase you have left any other connectors disconnected or accidentally dislodged a connector.

There is also a control unit for the Nav system mounted below the radio, so have a look at the connectors below the radio as well as above.

The wiring diagram I have doesn't show exactly where the the Nav systems picks up the power from, just that it runs through fuses 10 and 28.

It does show that the ignition feed wire changes colour between the fuse and the Nav system but it doesn't show a connector.

What colour wires are in the original plug for the radio that you have left disconnected?

Moatmonster
20th January 2013, 01:43 PM
Righto,pulled it out,all fuses good. Photos of what i have got
This is the plug not used.

Moatmonster
20th January 2013, 01:48 PM
These are the 2 plugs used with the aeropro connections

Moatmonster
20th January 2013, 01:50 PM
And this is the back of the Factory Nav unit

Yendor
20th January 2013, 01:55 PM
The light green, purple and the black wire will be for the steering wheel stereo control. They shouldn't stop the Nav system from working.

What happens if you plug the original radio back in?

Yendor
20th January 2013, 02:02 PM
At the display unit the Blue wire with the Orange trace should have power when the accessories and ignition are on.

The Red wire with a Green trace should have constant battery.

Only use a voltmeter to test.

Moatmonster
20th January 2013, 02:41 PM
Success, what a dumb arse. I tracked the wiring back from the factory nav back towards the stereo and found a male and female plugs with the same colour wiring as the aeropros.
Piggy backed them in and what do you know, power to the sat nav and camera.

Thank you to Yendor and Evil for all your help, i would have been still looking if it not for your input.

Yendor
20th January 2013, 02:51 PM
Good job for working out what the problem was.

It' so easy to miss things like that.

Cheers Rodney.

Moatmonster
20th January 2013, 02:58 PM
Cheers mate, thanks again.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2

the evil twin
20th January 2013, 05:51 PM
Success, what a dumb arse. I tracked the wiring back from the factory nav back towards the stereo and found a male and female plugs with the same colour wiring as the aeropros.
Piggy backed them in and what do you know, power to the sat nav and camera.

Thank you to Yendor and Evil for all your help, i would have been still looking if it not for your input.

No probs cobber...

I actually find the reverse cam really handy as the rear vis in my wagon is very limited and the basic trip computer function is OK but hardly used.
The Nav side of things is much less so as I refuse to pay the humungous update fees that Whereis want and the last maps i got for free were 2010... in Perth that may as well be 1910 the place is changing that fast.

I am seriously thinking of putting a 7 inch integrated GPS touchscreen in place of the Dayton display.

Moatmonster
20th January 2013, 08:53 PM
I am seriously thinking of putting a 7 inch integrated GPS touchscreen in place of the Dayton display.

Lol, i was thinking about putting something in there too after all this. Wont happen now for awhile,the war office has just found my "Black Ops slushfund(patrol) and
is not very happy with the amount spent.Females just don't understand!

florussem
24th February 2013, 02:08 PM
A bit after the fact, but I am going to install an after market GPS, DVD - do everything Double din unit as well as a dedicated rear vision monitor in a 2005 TI patrol. I would like to disable and remove the current nav unit as par of the process. Does anyone understand the complex relationship of these 2 units. BTW I wondered what that was under the drivers seat..... And what are the complexities of getting the Steering wheel controls to work? Many thanks for any help.

mudski
26th February 2013, 08:23 PM
Thats the exact same unit as I have. The clock on mine is never right. No matter how many time I change it. Five minutes later it's back to its usual tricks. Other than that it seems to work o.k.