PDA

View Full Version : gq ideas or modifications

Glen 93 patrol
19th January 2013, 12:09 PM
G'day.

Im looking for ideas or mods to do on the truck. Most people i talk to say i have everything but i always feel i could add a little something extra to it.

Any advances on:
bullbar, winch, spotties, 2 way, 5 inch lift, 35's, rear view camera, over head console, fridge console, rear draws with pull out camp kitchen, fridge and slide, rear power outlets, barn door table and lights and a roof tent. think thats about all.

Still to come are diff locks, an inverter and a long range fuel tank.

Cheers Glen.

threedogs
19th January 2013, 12:21 PM
Proper rock sliders not just pipe steps, Strong rear lighting for night drives, Lights underneath with internal camera, get all that done and I'll give you the other 12,212,000 things on the list. oh yeah a camera looking at your winch spool to see its not bunching up on one side.UHF radio, even a camera looking at front wheels{ somehow}

Clunk
19th January 2013, 03:23 PM
You forgot awnings........

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

BigRAWesty
19th January 2013, 03:25 PM
Rear work light... :D

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Clunk
19th January 2013, 03:33 PM
Rear work light... :D

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Nah he got lights lol

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

threedogs
19th January 2013, 03:38 PM
Yeah an awning and don't go cheap by a brand name not chinese rubbish. it'll only end in tears. Always peg down as wind will pick it up.
On board water, maybe a tank underneath or a bladder style in the 1/4 panel, gotta have a cargo barrier with shelves, I've got more but Ebaying ATM

evillius
19th January 2013, 10:59 PM
How about some of these (I know some of these are pretty expensive)

- Rear bar with jerry can holder and swing away spare wheel carrier for those 35s
- Rock lighting
- Flexi Flares
- Mog Axles
- Better sound system
- PadHldr bracket fitted to the dash to hold a Tablet loaded with HEMA maps for easier navigation and music selection (preferably android, but dirty ipad a possibilty:animierte-smilies-f).
- Maxtrax fitted to mounts on the roofrack or spare wheel.

That took me longer to write than usual... Maybe too many Vitamin B's. :1062:

brw1994
19th January 2013, 11:08 PM
Underbody proctection, aftermarket fold up windows with struts for the rear 1/4, gas strut your barn doors, central locking, fold down barn door table, scrub bars, rear quarter chop, rear bar to suit chop?

evillius
20th January 2013, 08:09 AM
How about a Turbo or a V8 conversion? That'd give you plenty to do for a while...

Glen 93 patrol
20th January 2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas,

The turbo or v8 wouldn't be an option for me (P plate laws!!!) plus goes well enough as is.
Am looking at the under body water tank at the moment.
Awnings would be great however may not work with the old school shipp shape i have.
Not a fan of doing a rear 1/4 chop.
Jerry can holders was floating round in my mind somewhere a while back.
Fold up rear windows could be a possibility and would be an interesting item.
Better sound system for sure. factory speakers were shot so i got some sony speakers. i think i would have been better off with the factory ones.

Glen.

Morton
20th January 2013, 02:28 PM
speakers are only as good as the head set

Winnie
20th January 2013, 02:31 PM
Amp the speakers mate will make a world of difference

BigRAWesty
20th January 2013, 05:59 PM
Amp the speakers mate will make a world of difference

Also packing the rear doors with quilt filling will increase the tone range. More bass for when your fat arming..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Glen 93 patrol
20th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Head is a sh!tty kenwood thingo i had lying round, I put it in so i had something. But i will deffinatly have to go through the system and upgrade everything.
Whilst i got the speakers out ill fill the doors too and amp them.

Glen 93 patrol
20th January 2013, 07:08 PM
Has anyone mounted one of these into their gq?

Clunk
20th January 2013, 08:02 PM

You'll probably find that if you use the existing din slots, that display will not be able to come out as the levers will be in the way....... will be OK if your planning on mounting it in a dash pod

To tap, or not to tap: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them?

BigRAWesty
20th January 2013, 08:08 PM
Hay mate. Sony, pioneer etc all have double din touch screen setups these days for sub $1000... Cheap as..
And fit straight in. Slip the uhf under the steering column.
Nice unit, Bluetooth, phone integration.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
20th January 2013, 08:28 PM
My double din unit has everything even TV. $350 delivered to my door 4gb SD card for songs, DVDs GPS software same as VMS, 3 years now no complaints has everything except Cruise but have that seperate,
Was going to suggest a rear 1/4 panel chop,
There is thread on fitting D/D unit to GQ search is your friend

BigRAWesty
20th January 2013, 10:03 PM
My double din unit has everything even TV. $350 delivered to my door 4gb SD card for songs, DVDs GPS software same as VMS, 3 years now no complaints has everything except Cruise but have that seperate,
Was going to suggest a rear 1/4 panel chop,
There is thread on fitting D/D unit to GQ search is your friend

Nice, clean and simple.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

LukeV
21st January 2013, 10:42 PM
Headlight upgrade, dual batteries, good set of rock sliders, seat upgrades (i read somewhere the other day that VX seats bolt straight in)

BigRAWesty
22nd January 2013, 04:08 AM
This is going to be an insane truck...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Glen 93 patrol
22nd January 2013, 11:38 AM
Head lights already done aswell as seats.

dual battery system is on its way. (dont know how the battery will fit in the engine bay as i have a hot water exchange system in there for a shower, i'll figure it out when the system gets here.)

My running board brackets underneath have rust in a few spots so i was thinking maybe replace the whole thing with those water tank side steps. pretty pricey though.

ashleylipus
22nd January 2013, 12:18 PM
Hi mount winch with some mods? Air freespool and bigger motor etc

Glen 93 patrol
22nd January 2013, 05:02 PM
already got the winch tucked in behind the winch bar.

DX grunt
22nd January 2013, 05:19 PM
Rated front and rear recovery points for use by GU's and Tojos to recover your GQ. lol.

Seriously.....rated f/r recovery points
snatch strap
emergency tow rope
damper for the snatchy
good quality gloves
fire extinguisher
winch extension strap
shovel
good quality first aid kit with lotsa stuff in it
Sunscreen and insect repellent
Cable ties of all sizes
Gaffa/electrical tape
Spare fuses - enough to accommodate any 'breakdown'
air compressor
spare batteries
multimeter (they're about $20+)
Spare globes, brakes, indicators, headlights

There's a really good list floating around. I just need the author's permission to use it. Stay tuned.

rossco

Glen 93 patrol
22nd January 2013, 07:51 PM
Well i went to the back of the truck this arvo and the factory strut for the larger barn door bent at right angles.
Sh!t i thought for a moment, then i set about doing the gas strut mod on the door.

Holly hell i should have done it months ago. All that fighting with it before and it stays open by itself now. What a difference!!!

Well thats one let mod I have to do now.

Glen.

krbrooking
22nd January 2013, 08:32 PM
How about some engine management like oil pressure, egt/boost if diesel, water temp, diff,gearbox temps and so on. After all it is the heart of your rig.

Glen 93 patrol
22nd January 2013, 09:13 PM
Have some guages, water temp, oil temp and pressure aswell as a vacuum guage to tell how far down my right foot is. (4.2 petrol)

Drewboyaus
22nd January 2013, 09:13 PM
What about an air tank and lines to run tools?

Tap this.........

Glen 93 patrol
22nd January 2013, 09:47 PM
What about an air tank and lines to run tools?

Tap this.........

quite possibly.
just looking at re routing the air induction system somehow and have a 'rammed air' effect.

peric77
31st January 2013, 05:13 PM
just read your thread. everything you have said sounds just like the things i want to do. just time and money is holding me back :)

BigRAWesty
31st January 2013, 05:53 PM
just read your thread. everything you have said sounds just like the things i want to do. just time and money is holding me back :)

I think everyone is in that boat..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
31st January 2013, 06:00 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day, it's an on going proccess, and a matter of up dating
as better technology evolves, eg Led and HID.
when first released a set of HID driving lights were $2500

Ben89
31st January 2013, 06:02 PM

My mate had an old jeep that he thrashed the t#ts off, and he got given a shit one of those, So he decided "hey, lets make a cutout in the dashboard." Worst mod he ever did lol

Bloodyaussie
31st January 2013, 06:05 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day, it's an on going proccess, and a matter of up dating
as better technology evolves, eg Led and HID.
when first released a set of HID driving lights were $2500

Yeah and I raced out and bought a set..... eerrr bullshit I did!!!!!!!!!!

Chip away mate and get ideas off others out there!!

Glen 93 patrol
1st February 2013, 07:37 PM

It does take a fair amount of time and effort, however money is the biggest killer for most, so i try and do everyhing myself.