PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak :(

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 10:10 AM
Ok so i got back from site. Fiddle with some connections and fixed a fuel leak in the engine bay and got the mighty petrol running.
As usual the cheers didnt last long. I saw clunk last night and drove home pretty happy.
Thought it was running a little rich caz when i planted my foot i had a hesitation.
Do i pulled over behind a servo to see if i could lean it out a little.
But what i found instead is the fuel p!ssing out from the fuel lined directly above my rear drivers side coil.

So here i am in the carpark thinking do i try and fix it, or leave it for another month.

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 10:19 AM
I'll tell you right now im not doin it today hsha looks like all new fuel lines needed. Gotta take out fuel tank and coil drop the axel trace back the line etc. BORING!!

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 10:23 AM
Nah don't do that mate. My GUIV had a leak in exactly that same spot on top of the rear drivers spring tower. I just cut the line with a hack saw on each side of the spring tower, ripped out the length of brass to see the leak and then fitted rubber fuel line instead and fitted over the brass line at each end where i cut and clamped it on. Fixed and Cheap.

threedogs
19th January 2013, 10:46 AM
Good way to fix MD but his is a '92 maybe most of fuel line perished from age or enviroment {salt water}
going on 21 yrs old now. doesn't sound old when you say it like that eh

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 11:15 AM
Good way to fix MD but his is a '92 maybe most of fuel line perished from age or enviroment {salt water}
going on 21 yrs old now. doesn't sound old when you say it like that eh

When I finally located the suspected fuel leak on top of the spring tower I was knackered! I could not see it, it took 5 months and nearly a fuel pump rebuild to find it. When it did show its face I was at a loss of what to do!

Well, I walked out the back yard and looked at my GQ that has a Body Lift and I could see clearly that the fuel lines are full length and no Joins in the brass on top there. So out with the hack saw blade, cut the line at both ends, had to rip it out which was a bit of stuffing around and there it was! A stone or something had got up there and rubbed through the brass line.

I had rubber fuel line and it was the right internal size so I cut a length and tucked it up over the spring tower and Bobs ya auntie.

There'd be no reason that he couldn't just replace the hits that are questionable it they are rusted. The fuel will bleed out though if the line is compromised so will be obvious. But you can't see up on top of that tower without a body lift.

For me, the one way vent valve on the long range tank was in backwards and was creating a vacuum so my leak was "air inward" and causing the back of my fuel pump to loose prime and was a bugger to start. When I reversed the valve (took 4 months of stuffing around and isolating that to figure it out though) the leak went external and show itself.

Cut it off and replace it, carry some spare rubber fuel line and drive on I reckon.

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 11:25 AM
Good call guys. I already been and got some hose

threedogs
19th January 2013, 12:07 PM
Is this a GQ thing or Patrol in general, remember I've come from the dark side

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 12:25 PM
Id say at least a GQ thing...wish i had a body lift.. wish me luck tjeres next to no room at all

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 01:07 PM
yep no room at all. I was sitting there after trying to see with an inspection mirror and thought damn i need to see what this looks like on top! i have a mate doing a cut down at the moment, i was going to drivbe to his place to ahve a look but went out the back and whala! the GQ with the body lift and all is clear.

There is a couple of fuel lines in top and the brake lines. The fuel lines are a larger diameter. None of them have joins there. Cut it out mate.once you have seen it there really is Nothing to see.

Cut away bud

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 01:08 PM
Is this a GQ thing or Patrol in general, remember I've come from the dark side

Not really sure 3dogs?? i have never seen it before it happened to me? my GQ and GUIV are both TD42s so i figured they were the same and i was right. Lucky

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 02:47 PM
Would be so much easier to use a dremel cutting wheel but im too scared.
Dont even know if im cutting the right one yet.
Heres fingers crossed

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking about cutting the floor out in the back and down a new floor with access panel in.

BigRAWesty
19th January 2013, 03:21 PM
A petrol q thing.. diesel is oil so it won't rust from the inside.
Same with the exhausts..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 03:39 PM
I remember now. When i was doing the clutch i pull out a fat bit of branch that was wedged up in there.
I done the leaky fuel line but wont go. I think must have crushed the other line too.
Caz the fuel pump works but caz the return lines pressurised the pump shuts off. .

Thats it for sure. No doubt in my mind

threedogs
19th January 2013, 03:46 PM
See drink does improve your memory, then again who remembers every stick/tree thats jumped out and hit them

Rustyboner81
19th January 2013, 04:16 PM
See drink does improve your memory, then again who remembers every stick/tree thats jumped out and hit them

It all makes sense now. I was doing the wall climb at the pinjarra gravel pit months ago. But went up the side bit where it was a bit woody. Plenty if wheel spin. It wouldnt go after i rolled back down the hill.