PDA

View Full Version : Pre lube

mudnut
18th January 2013, 05:39 PM
Gidday, just want to get anybody's input concerning pre lube systems. My trol sits for up to a week at a time. And sometimes when it starts, I can here a metallic 'Tack tack" sound which dissappears after a few seconds. It makes me cringe. I've found that if I shut the engine off as soon as I hear the sound, it has disappeared by the time I restart because of oil pressure. once up and running, the engine is smooth and quiet. I have searched the web a couple of times and have only come up with american kits. During my time in the railways, many, many moons ago, we used to prelube locomotive diesels after a two to three day shut down.

threedogs
18th January 2013, 05:48 PM
Ron Moon uses Redline oils and changes oil every 100,000 k yes 100,000Ks with filter changes and top ups every 10,000k. after 100,000Ks oil was changed and analised.
No metal in oil,and oil was still good to go. First oil change cost about $450, but to protect engine this well I think it works out the same, maybe a tad more expensive.
Nulon have a product that coats internal engine components. I'd be searching for a better oil IMO

mudnut
18th January 2013, 05:59 PM
Good advice three dogs, but wouldn't it be cool to have a prelube system?

mudnut
18th January 2013, 06:24 PM
The yank kits look simple and are around 250 us dollars. Don't know what delivery would be. If you get another vehicle, you could transplant it.

threedogs
18th January 2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah and something to keep the coolant warm, when are we going to stop, I thought I was hi tech with auto water battery kit.

are you able to put link or whatever they call it here

mudnut
18th January 2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah and something to keep the coolant warm, when are we going to stop, I thought I was hi tech with auto water battery kit.

are you able to put link or whatever they call it here

http://www.engineprelube.com/

(My kids taught me how to copy links) ;-)

ChrisN
19th January 2013, 04:36 PM
Would it be silly to suggest a switch to leave the fuel solenoid closed, then crank the starter until the oil pressure light goes out?

mudnut
19th January 2013, 07:13 PM
Would it be silly to suggest a switch to leave the fuel solenoid closed, then crank the starter until the oil pressure light goes out?

You would have to suppress the spark and that would be disasterous for a carby engine. The fuel still gets sucked into the engine. It could backfire when the spark is restored.

mudski
19th January 2013, 08:51 PM
Just use a good oil and don't worry so much. Unless the oil pump is foobar everything is fine. I know not many here like Castrol, but since using Magnatec in the wifes car I hear none of those noises upon start up. Did before. Tried it in my trol, no noises. Trying the Caltex Delo 400 now, no noises but seeing how much different the engine breath through the provent...

mudnut
20th January 2013, 12:11 PM
Mudski, you are the first to tell me that you use magnatech. Since you say it works as it is advertised to, I will try and obtain some and change out the stuff I have, before the cooler weather, as it is 20w/50.
But still, it would be cool to have prelube.

mudski
21st January 2013, 11:52 AM
I don't know why people bag it. I have used it and I think it did its job, and well. I'm just trying Dello 400 now to see if there is any difference in how much the engine breathes through the Provent.

nissannewby
21st January 2013, 09:21 PM
Use different filters. Oil has nothing to do with it. Some filters don't have a anti drain back valve in them so your engine has to fill them first before the rest gets oil. The difference between some filters can be 2-3sec.

mudnut
22nd January 2013, 10:38 AM
Use different filters. Oil has nothing to do with it. Some filters don't have a anti drain back valve in them so your engine has to fill them first before the rest gets oil. The difference between some filters can be 2-3sec.

So, I'm guessing that a Repco filter doesn't have a anti-drain? Which brands do?

nissannewby
22nd January 2013, 03:43 PM
Most specs for oil filters can be found on the net. Repco should be able to supply you info as well. I use donaldson they didnt have the valves to start with and now they have been updated and have the valves and time for the oil pressure light to go out is halved.