PDA

View Full Version : Overheating while the aircon is on????

matty_3977
18th January 2013, 10:16 AM
Guys I got a problem...

On a hot day I like to be comfy I'm not the sort of bloke that likes my boys swimming in soup, so I like to turn on the air-con, I only have 1 small drama.

Every time I turn it on my bloody troll over heats, I replaced the water pump about 2 months ago so it cant be that, and refilled the radiator with good coolant so I'm a bit perplexed as to what it could be.

Can anybody help this Melbourne heat is killing me!!!

lorrieandjas
18th January 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi matty - not sure what you drive but if you have a variable fan that comes on controlled by a thermostat that could be the issue? When you turn the car on does the radiator fan run all the time? If not does it cycle on when it heats up? Also - I believe it should also come on when the air-con is turned on. If not that perhaps your radiator needs a flush as well?

There's a number of things it could be - does it only overheat when the air-con is on - or does it run pretty hot normally?

Jas

altech
18th January 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi Matty , does your electic fan kick in when you turn on the AC regards Alex

matty_3977
18th January 2013, 10:40 AM
Sorry i should have been clearer. I drive a 1994 tb42 GQ there is only a single fan that runs all the time it usually runs about half way temp wise and and only ventures above that on really hot days( 35 degrees+) but not by much.
I never let it get too hot but the temp does climb only while the air-con is running and as soon as i turn it off it cools down again after about 10 minutes of driving.

Its really weird

altech
18th January 2013, 11:01 AM
does your car have a electric fan for AC condessor and if so does it turn on when you put on the AC regards Alex

matty_3977
18th January 2013, 11:10 AM
I couldn't tell ya to be honest Alex sorry

mudski
18th January 2013, 11:18 AM
I couldn't tell ya to be honest Alex sorry

That's something you need to tell us though mate.

lorrieandjas
18th January 2013, 11:23 AM
Hey mate - do you have one or two fans near the radiator? That will tell you.

Jas

matty_3977
18th January 2013, 11:59 AM
I know it is something you guys need to know but although i know a little bit about engines I'm not that knowledgeable if it helps my only has 1 fan up at the radiator. I'm sorry I cant be of more help and I am thankful for the help I have got off all of you. But if you wanna push the subject tell me what it looks like and where it is and I can tell you if it is there or not.
That's something you need to tell us though mate.

MC97GQ
18th January 2013, 12:07 PM
Matty,

Look between the grill and the front of the radiator panel, there should be what looks like a small radiator and it could/should have a small thermo fan on it.

Mark

mudski
18th January 2013, 05:57 PM
I know it is something you guys need to know but although i know a little bit about engines I'm not that knowledgeable if it helps my only has 1 fan up at the radiator. I'm sorry I cant be of more help and I am thankful for the help I have got off all of you. But if you wanna push the subject tell me what it looks like and where it is and I can tell you if it is there or not.
No probs bud. We are here to help where we can. As Mark said. Look from the front of the car through the grill. There will be what looks like as small radiator in front of the actual engine's radiator. See if there is a fan mounted on that.

BigRAWesty
19th January 2013, 07:28 AM
Matty,

Look between the grill and the front of the radiator panel, there should be what looks like a small radiator and it could/should have a small thermo fan on it.

Mark

It may not. I have td42 and only the one fan on the clutch hub.

Imo it sounds you can is running high during normal operation.
It's possibly time for a complete flush out of the block and radiator, new hoses and coolent.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

happygu
19th January 2013, 08:34 AM
I would get the radiator flushed, as it seems like it could be partially blocked, and has lost some of it's efficiency.

First, some basics though......

Can you see through the radiator from the front grill? As your car has been on the road for nearly 20 years, it may be blocked up with mud or debris.

matty_3977
1st February 2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah i do have that little fan on the front of the radiator and when I put the air con on the fan doesn't move at all i had it on for a good 15 mins and not a movement

the evil twin
1st February 2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah i do have that little fan on the front of the radiator and when I put the air con on the fan doesn't move at all i had it on for a good 15 mins and not a movement

There's your problem, Cobber.

That elec fan should run whenever the A/C is on

matty_3977
1st February 2013, 03:22 PM
hmmmm...... better get that looked at i reckon lol

Morton
1st February 2013, 10:09 PM
tis a good start, whilst there lookn to see if the front of the radiator isnt blocked with flys, bees, insect etc, this inhibits the air flow

olliethepom
3rd May 2013, 11:23 AM
Guys a quick question for my understanding. Why would the fan for the a/c condenser not working cause the temp gauge to rise? Does that little fan cool the radiator as well as the big fan at the back of the radiator?