PDA

View Full Version : LSD Slipping?

Wizard52
15th January 2013, 02:51 PM
Hi all- need some advice please.

My GUIVTDi coil cab ute has recently developed a strange slip/bump when accelerating in a straight line after doing a U turn on bitumen. Nothing severe or major but different. At first thought it might be clutch but feels further back.

About to change all oils at 160k

Any ideas?

cheers

threedogs
15th January 2013, 02:56 PM
May need your rear diff oil changed if you think that far back, I'm not convinced

Sir Roofy
15th January 2013, 03:00 PM
hi all- need some advice please.

My guivtdi coil cab ute has recently developed a strange slip/bump when accelerating in a straight line after doing a u turn on bitumen. Nothing severe or major but different. At first thought it might be clutch but feels further back.

About to change all oils at 160k

any ideas?

Cheers

change diff oil and flush out first check uni joints

nissannewby
16th January 2013, 12:31 AM
A member on here had a similar issue (hekarewe). We pulled the diff out of his car and inspected and couldnt fault it. We also put new oil in it when we refitted it and I dont think he has had an issue since, maybe send him a pm and see how he went with it.

Bloodyaussie
16th January 2013, 07:02 AM
Yeah start with the basics first then work your way up.... diff oil, ten minute job and then thats one possibility out the way!!

mudski
16th January 2013, 08:03 PM
change diff oil and flush out first check uni joints

Chit! I need to do my uni's before next weekend.

Ben-e-boy
16th January 2013, 08:22 PM
A member on here had a similar issue (hekarewe). We pulled the diff out of his car and inspected and couldnt fault it. We also put new oil in it when we refitted it and I dont think he has had an issue since, maybe send him a pm and see how he went with it.

As far as I know the issue has gone. I was there when he did a test drive and the noise was gone straight away.

Wizard52
19th January 2013, 08:51 AM
Further to original post. A good mate of mine (ex boy racer come mechanic) suggested the LSD just needs a good work out by doing 6 or so right hand turns at full lock and the same to the left. This will remove any crap stuck to the friction plates. I'll try this and then change oil after a few days to see if it works. Unfortunately truck does not get used enough so will have to make more time to do so.

Will advise when done

cheers

Bulbous
19th January 2013, 10:10 AM
Further to original post. A good mate of mine (ex boy racer come mechanic) suggested the LSD just needs a good work out by doing 6 or so right hand turns at full lock and the same to the left. This will remove any crap stuck to the friction plates. I'll try this and then change oil after a few days to see if it works. Unfortunately truck does not get used enough so will have to make more time to do so.

Will advise when done

cheers

So to paraphrase - get out and do a few donuts :D

Wizard52
24th January 2013, 01:53 PM
Update again

Did the donuts and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Will still change oil this weekend to fully synthetic Castrol Safxa (I think spelling is right) as advised by service mgr from where I bought vehicle when new.
He said they use it on all diffs that have any issues.