PDA

View Full Version : Confused

team grandpa
15th January 2013, 09:45 AM
i have had my mav for 6 years i used penrite 20/60 with fleet gaurd oil filters, i stopped using penrite 2 yrs ago as it became to expensive.(but never had a problem )
started using delo 400 2 years ago .....no problems ....still using the fleetgaurd filters, then on the w/end 12.1 we went away with our club to yarraman for camping and driving in a 40deg day drove from lowood to yarraman then some off rd for a couple of hrs then back to camp.
left the truck sitting over nite on a fairly flat surface went to check oil in the morn as i do every day
and dipstick was showing down to half bought a 1 litre bottle of dello only put in 500ml ,went driving off rd again sunday (40 deg) for around 5 hrs then drove back to lowood parked truck in garage and left sit till monday morning checked the oil and it now showed full .... could any one explain what happened to the 500 ml of oil as to why it dropped that fast it has never happened before in the 6 yrs i have owned it and done 100.000klms or with any truck i have ever owned WTF
thanks team grandpa :1087:

Bigcol
15th January 2013, 10:36 AM
do you do your services every 5000Kms or so?
was it harder than normal driving? ie: lots of low range for long time etc?
you said it was over 40*, maybe the oil was just doing its job of lubrication and cooling the engine block

I know I use a smidgen of oil if I am prolonged low range on hot days.

maybe.......??????

MQ MAD
15th January 2013, 03:17 PM
That weekend was really hot as hell, i live near yarraman and it was a darn stinker out here
Id say,if its checked regularly, that the hot temp, the low range, excess heat driving matched to the air temp being high mite have something to do with it
We havent had it so hot out here for a very long time, so something strange to happen in strange weather maybe theres the problem
Do an oil change,make sure its all full, and keep an eye on it, id say just one of those freaky things, like the extreme heat wave

team grandpa
15th January 2013, 03:37 PM
thanks for the reply and yes i do my oil change every 5000k and it is getting close to due so i am changing it next week .

Sir Roofy
15th January 2013, 04:07 PM
Do you have a catch can connected,extra hot day extra hot motor will go into can
or will be burnt of through turbo or anti polution system

90mav
17th January 2013, 05:45 PM
Could be that the oil is getting so hot (air temp of 40+ cant help) that its simply vapourising. Oil is after all a less refined form of petrol and will vapourise if hot enough.

BigRAWesty
17th January 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking maybe a vapour lock in the dip stick.
Takes a bit of heat to vaporize oil.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)