PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Q for the smarter than me

gaddy
14th January 2013, 09:57 PM
Hi all I have a GU3 4.2 td the alternator has died , I rang a couple of places today and was told they cannot be reconditioned ? is this true , the numbers are LR1100-705E , I then got a replacement peak branded one ALT2699G It came with a different front pully , gave them a call and the said to change the pully over , my origional pully does not fit ,the shaft lengths are different so am taking it back to them tomorrow , I would prefer to get the origional rebuilt if possible can this be done.

Cheers
Gaddy

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2013, 10:07 PM
How much did they sting you for the new one?

Give Parol-a-part in Lilydale a call tomorrow mate for a price. They will do a 70amp (standard) a 90amp and probably a120amp ( not sure about the GU)? Does your have the Vac pump on the back or is the vac pump remotely mounted?

gaddy
14th January 2013, 10:30 PM
$390 plus gst I had one price of $700 but will see what happens tomorrow as it is susposed to be a replacement for the origional ,also went to buy new belts as well to find out that the while the alt belt is one size for the GU3 there are 2 different sizes listed for the air and power steer for the same model , pays to take the old ones with you if buying new belts , I wonder how many people have brought a set to carry as spares that wont fit when the time comes

Gaddy

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2013, 10:42 PM
Good idea to replace your belts and put the old belts and hoses into your rear quarter panels. They will be there until you need them where ever you may be ;)

Give Patrolapart a call mate and you should get a good price. Note also the potential for an output upgrade.

Cheers MR

philfree
14th January 2013, 10:44 PM
Hi i think it should be no vac pump and 100 amp standard (assuming its the same as my 2000 4.2) ive found that they are quite a good alternator built well i only just repaired mine after 325000kays and all i did is bearings and brushes all the patrol hitachi alternators ive seen all of them bar one was brushes and the other did the diodes they shoulld be able to replace the brushes and bearings.

gaddy
14th January 2013, 10:44 PM
thanks I will give them a call tomorrow

gaddy
14th January 2013, 10:46 PM
yep no vac and 100 amp

Gaddy

philfree
14th January 2013, 10:52 PM
I could probably repair yours if you wanted me to but you would have to send it to me if you wanted a spare of have to much trouble with getting a new one thanks

Yendor
14th January 2013, 10:53 PM
If you have your old alternator off the vehicle, pull it apart and check the brushes.

If one of the brushes isn't making contact with the slip ring it will be tarnished/burnt.

Normally it's not viable to repair them if it's move then brushes.

gaddy
14th January 2013, 11:09 PM
the alternator is off the car I will be taking it with me tomorrow when I take the other back , I figured it might be the brushes , just replacing so as the unit is all new and less likley to fail in the future thanks for the feed back it is much appreciated

Gaddy

Yendor
14th January 2013, 11:14 PM
Another place to try for a new unit is Ashdown Ingram, they are over at Archifield.

gaddy
14th January 2013, 11:20 PM
the one I got came auto electrics australia also at archerfield , ashdown was to be next on the list while i was there tomorrow if the other mob cant help

First Nissan
15th January 2013, 12:07 AM
You can usually tell if it is just the brushes as your alternator light will flicker for a few weeks before giving up the ghost completely.

gaddy
15th January 2013, 12:07 PM
Took the alternator back today explained and showed the fitting issues between the two , they agreed with me and were very sorry for the inconvience , and will be getting the issues sorted as they agreed it was not a straight swap and the shaft was a different length , so a big thanks to them for their customer service
I then said i was going aroud to Ashdowns , turns out they supply ashdowns with the same alternator , and recomended a guy closer to home that does rebuild them , droped it off today should get it back wednesday arvo all like new ,
thanks for the advice once again

Gaddy

gaddy
15th January 2013, 03:27 PM
Just on the off chance I rang nissan this morning and got a price off them , I new it would be expensive but was not quite ready for the response $ 1575 plus gst , then he asked if i would like it fitted , out of courisity the wife said and how much would that be , the response was another couple hundred , needless to say his offer was declined ,not that it was ever going to happen , but I often wonder what it would cost to build a car out of genuine spare parts , I reckon i could have that new waterfront house and 50ft bertram and still have change , long live the after market suppliers

Gaddy

Yendor
16th January 2013, 02:23 PM
Took the alternator back today explained and showed the fitting issues between the two , they agreed with me and were very sorry for the inconvience , and will be getting the issues sorted as they agreed it was not a straight swap and the shaft was a different length , so a big thanks to them for their customer service
I then said i was going aroud to Ashdowns , turns out they supply ashdowns with the same alternator , and recomended a guy closer to home that does rebuild them , droped it off today should get it back wednesday arvo all like new ,
thanks for the advice once again

Gaddy

That's interesting, I thought Ashdowns would of tried to sell you an OEX brand alternator.

Hopefully you get it all sorted today.

Cheers Rodney

gaddy
16th January 2013, 02:46 PM
Yendor thats what I was told anyway ? maybe true maybe not ,

Cheers
Gaddy

Yendor
16th January 2013, 02:49 PM
Yendor thats what I was told anyway ? maybe true maybe not ,

Cheers
Gaddy
Maybe OEX don't make a replacement unit for the 4.2TD?

gaddy
16th January 2013, 09:10 PM
all back together now have electricty and new belts to boot , thanks for the advice and offers of help

Gaddy

gaddy
20th January 2013, 01:04 PM
well went to start the car today no go reset the management system to link the batteries and away she goes , put the multi meter on 12.6 at the battery , then put it on the alternator 12.6 , gave the car a rev 12.6 switched on the head lights droped down to the low 11s and never came back , both batteries were good on the hydrometer , belts all tight so looks like back to the sparky that rebuilt it last week , starting to think that maybe something is upsetting the alternator ,

Yendor
20th January 2013, 02:17 PM
Does the battery/alternator warning light in the dash come on when the ignition is turned on? and then go out when the engine is started?

There should also be battery voltage in one of the wires in the plug at the alternator.

What did they repair/replace in the alternator?

gaddy
20th January 2013, 03:19 PM
Yendor
the light comes on when the igniton is on and goes off once started , when it origionlly died the SRS , Hand brake , and battery light all came on and stayed on , as for rebuild, new regulator , brushes, rebuilt rectifer new bearings and a bench test , it was working fine when I put it in , I will leave it in the car this time and get it all checked , as the previous owner had a few things fitted by the auto outlets profesional fitting service ??, lights and power outlets etc , and all that runs off the main battery , I put a cig plug off the second battery to the fridge (fused) , I disconnected the battery isolater today , ( also installed by the above profesional service ) made no difference , I only understand the basics of the electrics side ,

Cheers
Steve

Yendor
20th January 2013, 03:30 PM
Hey Steve,

That's a good idea, give them the whole vehicle then they can test it.

If the battery sense circuit is ok at the alternator, then the problem will be within the alternator.

Either way it's still a big PITA for you.

Hopefully they will get it sorted for you tomorrow.

Cheers Rodney

gaddy
20th January 2013, 03:41 PM
I hope so to mate , its just been one of those simple fixes that has its own murphys law attached , my dad ran work shopes most his life and like he said there is always that one simple job , that just wont go to plan ,

Steve

gaddy
23rd January 2013, 09:14 PM
well all fixed again , a rotor had failed in the alt , as I left them the car I got all the wireing checked as well for the accessories and battery system and all good , and at no cost to me , thanks to the boys at Redlands Auto Electrics for there help and service

Gaddy