PDA

View Full Version : Patrol front right end going "DOOONG" over small bumps....vague I know right?

ozzymalone
14th January 2013, 05:13 PM
Hi all....Just got back from my Chrissy hiatus and went for a pot around in the troll' and realized the front right end is emitting a hollow/metallic like "dong" sound whenever going over bumps (during rebound i believe)....even speed humps in car parks at slow speeds. Thinking its just the rubber bumbers over the coil....does this sound right or am i looking in the wrong place.....opinions welcomed.

And I know my description is a tad vague.....but you saw who started this thread right!?! You should surely expect nothing less. :icon_bonk:

threedogs
14th January 2013, 05:20 PM
Stuffed shocks???? Push down on each corner ,should go down and up once only anymore just riding on coils/leaves

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2013, 05:22 PM
I reckon a Front Panard Bush, a Tie Rod end or a front Radius arm bush for sure.

ozzymalone
14th January 2013, 05:24 PM
Hey threedogs....hope you're well on the mend mate its been a while. SO if i get the missus to push down the front end firmly there should only be one clear down and up stroke? , and no further bouncing at all? .....Ta

Benno7
14th January 2013, 05:34 PM
I had a similar thing happening with my GQ It drove me nuts. It ended up being the front sway bar link one side was stuffed. so I removed the sway bar problem solved.

mudski
14th January 2013, 05:39 PM
Check where the radius arms mount, Westys had a similar issue and the bolts were flogged out and the arm was "floating". He did a write on this somewhere here. I have the same issue but its really quiet and haven't bothered to look for it yet.
But check the shocker bushes too, the rear of mine did a loud noise like this and I discovered the bushes were almost non existent. Replaced them and is all good at the rear now.

I had a similar thing happening with my GQ It drove me nuts. It ended up being the front sway bar link one side was stuffed. so I removed the sway bar problem solved.

Actually try this. Remove the sway bar. Come to think of it, mine has not done it since I have removed my sway bar when I did the clutch...I must get around to putting that back in one day.

ozzymalone
14th January 2013, 05:40 PM
Hey Benno how did you figure it was the link? was it visibly stuffed/cracked, etc. Pretty sure you can go without the front swaybar in gu's without negative consequences but would love to hear some feedback.

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2013, 05:48 PM
I dont have a Front Sway bar on the GUIV and have not had one fitted for at least 4 years. It is my daily and my Tourer and i simply can not think of a reason for refitting it., I have a 3" lift and Drop boxes though and it is well planted.

mudski
14th January 2013, 05:50 PM
The only one reason I can think of is insurance. I cannot afford to run the risk of being denied a claim if I was to ever have a stack and they inspected the car and found no sway bar. Otherwise I would leave it off...

ozzymalone
14th January 2013, 06:00 PM
Have just done the front and rear radius arm bushes so hopefully thats not the verdict sso will inspect all mentioned areas this arvo hopefully......thanks all. Appreciate it!

threedogs
14th January 2013, 06:06 PM
Everytime mine is up on the hoist we go over all the bushes etc with a large screwdriver, to check for any movement. its not often but just have access to hoist

Benno7
14th January 2013, 06:18 PM
Hey Benno how did you figure it was the link? was it visibly stuffed/cracked, etc. Pretty sure you can go without the front swaybar in gu's without negative consequences but would love to hear some feedback.

I was checking every thing to try and find the noise and just looking at the sway bar one of the ends looked like it was sitting funny so i removed it and found it was very badly worn.

happygu
14th January 2013, 07:08 PM
OzzyMalone,

I know the noise you are talking about, as I have had it in my previous vehicle.

Normally it is the passenger front side that does it, not the drivers side front, and I have always thought it to be the spring binding in the tower.

I have put a 5mm Polyethelene pad, on the bottom, and checked and taped the top rubber so it sits in the right position, and I haven't had the noise since.

Mic

megatexture
14th January 2013, 08:09 PM
I'm with happy on this one mine is doing the same and has for a long time now I've just left it as it doesn't bother me as long as I know what it is lol

BearGUST
14th January 2013, 08:28 PM
I had a similar issue which was the same thing as Westys. I ended up parking the car on an angle and getting my old man to rock the car, I could feel the clunk through the radius arm. Tightened the sh1t out of it, all good since.

BigRAWesty
14th January 2013, 09:55 PM
Go over every nut and bolt on the front axle. As mentioned mine flogged out, wasn't that bad so I changed out the loose bolt and all is good now.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

oncedisturbed
15th January 2013, 06:21 AM
let us know how you go as I have the same thing in the driver's side. have no friggen idea what I am looking for but will be pushing, pulling, poking and prodding whatever i can find under there and I know it won't be the missus o_O