PDA

View Full Version : Hub & axle grease?

Morton
14th January 2013, 02:47 PM
Hi all,

after scrolling many many posts I am still none the wiser, to many different points of view, question is, wheel bearing is hi temp grease, CV is Moly grease, kingpin or hub bearings are what grease?, I think it should be hi temp grease, other says moly grease, others again think a 3rd grease, which one is it? according to the manual if you dont mind because I dont know, I have used boat grease previously in an emergency just to get me home, I need the correct answer & not opinions as I am throwing it back together this afternoon after work to get it ready to sell, I dont want to do the wrong thing by any new owner, please help as I just cant seem to cop a straight answer,

Jim

Ben-e-boy
14th January 2013, 03:48 PM
I use the moly grease for the hubs aswell or any high pressure high temp will do

Morton
14th January 2013, 07:39 PM
tried to put it back together this afternoon but found 2 more seals chewed out, also found out that boat grease is crap for bearings in a 4wd, doesnt last long but it was for an emernency just to get me home at the time, try again tomorrow

Morton
16th January 2013, 09:04 PM
put the hub bearing in packed with Hi temp grease, replaced the axle bearings & 4 seals again, got everything back together, put the aftermarket GU bearing retainers in, all moving & spinning sweetly now, throw the tyre on tomorrow, nip everything up 'to be sure to be sure' & take it for a test run, then swap sides for a full repack with new retainers, full detail over the weekend & should be on here up for sale early next week, 1992 TB42 Maverick, 6" lift, 35's, dual battery, sliders, crawlers & lockrite (Toy)