PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone.

Hedland
14th January 2013, 04:58 AM
Hello all.

I guess I'll get right down to business.

My missus and I have recently been bitten by the 4WD bug and we've decided that a change of lifestyle is needed. I've listed my car for sale and I'm looking to purchase a 4WD capable of touring this beautiful country of ours.

We're planning to travel with our two small-medium sized dogs and we're hoping to be able to go almost anywhere while remaining reasonably self-sufficient.

I've been doing quite a lot of research on the topic (easier said than done considering the amount of personal opinion and brand loyalty thrown into most reviews) and at this stage I am considering purchasing a GU8 3.0 ST Patrol.

I understand that the vehicle will require quite a few additions and modifications to achieve what we're after and I'd love to be able to say that cost isn't an factor, but it is.

I also understand that we could go for a much older model and succeed but as I'm not a mechanic, I feel as though a 'newish' vehicle may be a better option. Not to mention creature comforts like air-conditioning and cruise control would be sorely missed.

I'm here hoping to draw on your members valuable knowledge and personal experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mal

timbar
14th January 2013, 05:06 AM
G'day MaL - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of useful information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Timbar

growler2058
14th January 2013, 05:10 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Slap N Tap ;)

93patrol
14th January 2013, 05:40 AM
g'day Hedland great forum here mate anything you need to ask i am sure someone will have the answer to. enjoy you stay

Maxhead
14th January 2013, 06:07 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate. In stock form the Patrol would have to be one of the most capable vehicles around so you can keep your mods for later stage when you can afford them...GU8 is a great vehicle.

Bloodyaussie
14th January 2013, 06:48 AM
Welcome aboard mate.................... People have traveled this country in a sigma with no mods so a stock GU8 will get you most places with not much bother.. look for the mods that suit what is needed for this trip not what looks cool bolted to it.. carrying extra spares is a biggy!!

Bigrig
14th January 2013, 07:33 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

MEGOMONSTER
14th January 2013, 07:48 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

threedogs
14th January 2013, 08:05 AM
G'day and welcome, have a look at ex telstra 4.2t/d utes. make great touring set up, heaps of info and tis here,
jump in and enjoy

AB
14th January 2013, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2013, 08:36 AM
G'day Mal,

Mate a GU8 with a 2" lift and a set of 285/75R16 tyres and 16x8 rims, a Snorkel, a Steel bull bar and winch and you will see every corner of this land without too much trouble. a Front Airlocker if you have the funds and a DPchip and your bullet proof.

Have a great time and enjoy the forum.

Cheers MR

Dhuck
14th January 2013, 08:45 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

wildgu6
14th January 2013, 09:54 AM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Enjoy, cheers Pete

TAPPN OUT

lorrieandjas
14th January 2013, 09:56 AM
G'day Mal,

Mate a GU8 with a 2" lift and a set of 285/75R16 tyres and 16x8 rims, a Snorkel, a Steel bull bar and winch and you will see every corner of this land without too much trouble. a Front Airlocker if you have the funds and a DPchip and your bullet proof.

Have a great time and enjoy the forum.

Cheers MR

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. As MR has said above you don't need to do too much. If you are just looking at simple touring (nothing too hairy in terms of off-road) then the stock patrol is a pretty capable beastie. I personally would go for a bullbar, winch, snorkel, 2" lift and new steel rims and tyres - 285/75/R16 is a popular choice. In terms of money a new set of rims all around and spare will cost you about $2200.00 (rough money) - snorkel about $750 for genuine (perhaps less), winch varies on brand but a Warn XD9000 fitted about $1000 and a steel bar about $1500 (anyone feel free to chip in if I've mis-stated the numbers?).

Also the GU 8 is a great vehicle - you could chip it, and add gauges but not something I've done yet.

Jas