PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge sticky needle

Lonicus
13th January 2013, 07:05 PM
Hi guys,

Just a quicky. The Autometer boost gauge I installed the other day seems to have a sticky needle. It was working fine yesterday, smooth rise and fall and read the same as the Scangauge at all pressures. Today though the needle seems to have trouble adjusting to small movements in pressure, eg. Scangauge reads 16.x boost gauge reads just under 15. If I tap the gauge though it jumps to the correct position. When pressure drops the needle seems to stick for a fraction of a second and then drop rapidly. When I turn the engine off the needle drops to about 2psi rather than zero, only when I tap the gauge does it drop to zero.

To me it seems like the gauge might be faulty given that a quick tap gets the needle to the correct spot but I'm open to other thoughts if anyone has experienced this.

Cheers

the evil twin
13th January 2013, 07:13 PM
Sure sounds like a faulty gauge to me. Seems as if it has picked up some friction somehow or other.

At least it's a warranty job

krbrooking
13th January 2013, 07:23 PM
x3 with both of you.

threedogs
13th January 2013, 07:28 PM
Go show them where you brought it from, I did with my Speco, Good as rep was there.
No questions asked changed it over free of charge

Lonicus
13th January 2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I got it from Sam, in the vendors section, and he's already offered to swap for a new one. I just wanted to confirm my thoughts before I sent it back.

Dales300exc
13th January 2013, 07:31 PM
Autometer make a good gauge so you shouldn't have a problem getting a new one. Specially for the price they are!

TurboOne
15th January 2013, 12:54 AM
So was it just sticking?

Lonicus
15th January 2013, 06:39 AM
Seems so, but I want to see how it goes on more than a 10 minute run to town and back before I send it back.

I get my car back today, so will go for a drive and check it out.