PDA

View Full Version : Australia is burning!!!

taslucas
8th January 2013, 09:48 PM
While theres still fires out of control here, I've just watched the news and it looks like things are getting really bad in NSW and VIC. There's property lost in the NT and things aren't looking good for other states. Stay safe everyone, I wish you well.
They have predicted 52 degrees in north east SA. WTF!!!! 52!!!! Sh!t is getting real. Growlers, you like it hot.... But that's getting ridiculous!!
People from montumana near my place have been evacuated to a showground in my town. Thankfully that fire has been downgraded for the night but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I will be calling in to the showgrounds tomorrow to see what I can do to help.
Stay safe, make a plan and hold on!

Tap, crackle, pop

lorrieandjas
8th January 2013, 09:51 PM
x2 mate. Hope you're all good down there. And everyone else on the forum too!

Jas

AB
8th January 2013, 09:55 PM
I was just about to post this exact thing after watching the news tonight!

Amazing what is happening in all states of Australia, stay safe everyone and don't be a hero!

Its been so dry down here too, I ran out of water a couple of days ago and would of been screwed if a fire started in my area. Time for more water storage and time to get serious about bush fire protection!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
8th January 2013, 09:55 PM
Certainly is and there predicting more of this weather of the next week or 2.

We have been lucky hear today no fires near us, but the night is young and its still 30deg at the moment.

Been keeping a watchful eye on the RFS Site as I have friends down south in Nowra and there is a very big fire not to far away @ Deans Gap, was heading away from them but looking at the last reports looks like its heaping up to them :(

Yeh stay safe anyone that is near the bush

krbrooking
8th January 2013, 10:09 PM
Hope everyone stays safe like heaps have said before don't hang around, the father inlaw just went and bought a fire pump and hose and everything. Just in case something flares up close to them but after black sat they will definitely be getting out early.

Bigrig
9th January 2013, 06:39 AM
Yep, stay safe people and get out early if you have to go - out eldest two are down south on holiday an were trapped in Sussex Inlet yesterday, they're all good, but a mighty big scare ...

Winnie
9th January 2013, 06:44 AM
It's been raining here all last night and this morning, I hope more affected areas are getting it too

Maxhead
9th January 2013, 06:50 AM
It certainly has been some weather event! We've been watching a couple uncontrolled fires close to us yesterday and they now seem to be contained. Looks like QLD's turn today so good luck all up there and stay safe

Ben-e-boy
9th January 2013, 06:56 AM
Yep, stay safe people and get out early if you have to go - out eldest two are down south on holiday an were trapped in Sussex Inlet yesterday, they're all good, but a mighty big scare ...

I know alot of people from that area, alot of my friends including my youngest sister are fighting those fires.

fracster
9th January 2013, 06:59 AM
Tell you something guys, it has rained here for nigh on six weeks,during that time I have been quite envious of your weather. But looking at it now, I guess you would swap for a while.

Take care fellas.

macca86
9th January 2013, 07:04 AM
Its started here in Queensland too I heard choppers and smelt fire in Oxley Brisbane. What is sad is so many people being charged with starting these fires. The should either be thrown in the fire or forced around the clock to put it out then chucked in the stock and paraded down the street where people suffered the most. Stay safe guys and for god sake smokers put your butts out not flick out the window

Sir Roofy
9th January 2013, 07:10 AM
Its all been said stay safe everyone

Maxhead
9th January 2013, 07:12 AM
Too many of these young f-wits with nothing to do but deliberately light fires...lock them up for good I reckon. And those brainless smokers who chuck their butts out the car window with total fire ban and warnings on every media channel and they still think think its their gods f-ing right to do what ever they want...shoot them on the spot I reckon!

taslucas
9th January 2013, 07:17 AM
One of the bad ones in southern tas was started by an unattended camp fire! The rest of them were mostly started by lightning. Luckily no f wits lighting them.

Tap, crackle, pop

Cuppa
9th January 2013, 09:04 AM
We are remaining vigilant up here in the Strzleckis, but have a bit of relief today in the form of a little fine rain this morning & much lower temps forecast (just 21 deg.C). Temps back up tomorrow.
Although there is far less to burn than there was on Black Saturday, it is amazing how much the undergrowth/scrub has grown back, & there is still long grass everywhere. (Clear around the house & yard). Our main concern is a plantation of bluegums now 6 years old & getting taller by the day, less than 200 metres from our house. Bloody Southern Cross plantations .... shame their trees didn't burn on Black saturday when they were smaller..... they had already burned their investors before they went belly up. Still having trouble finding out who owns the trees now. (Gunns took them over & then went belly up themselves!)

With climate change we are going to see more & more of this increasingly hot weather & fires. My thoughts are with those wherever fire is occurring or has occurred. Stay safe folks.

Cuppa

threedogs
9th January 2013, 10:23 AM
Some clowns started some fires At Briimbank park, must
Be kids with no brains. As if people don't have enough to worry about
Safe. I heard enough horrific stories from black Saturday
That still give me nightmares. stay safe look after your neighbour's also
Ring friends to see if they b need food or a shoulder to cry on or just a hug

MQ MAD
9th January 2013, 04:05 PM
Extreme heat,extreme wind ,and absolute tool bags make for serious danger
But,and ill throw this in , many years ago it was OK to backburn forests ect to keep the under growth under control,now we arent allowed to and all that fuel lying on the ground has a very nasty effect

jack
9th January 2013, 04:24 PM
Carngham fire was started by a diesel ute that had been left standing in the paddock for about half an hour (not bagging Toyota in this case). I know the area well as I used to live there, very sad for the people who lost homes and livestock.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1224912/stationary-ute-ignited-chepstowe-fire-neighbour/?cs=62

mudnut
9th January 2013, 04:57 PM
I've been trying to rake the gum leaves from around the house and sheds, but the wind just keeps piling them back up. When the rain stopped, I got on the ride on mower and made more fire breaks in the paddocks while it was safe to do so. The cfa website has said that the fire at Drik Drik, about 50 something ks to the west, is burning to the containment lines. They've done a fantastic job and my hat goes off to them. We've got the camper trailer ready to go and are dreading the heat predicted for Friday. My heart aches ( if that is the correct term) for the victims of the fires.

taslucas
9th January 2013, 05:21 PM
Keep safe mudnut. I hope all goes well.

Tap, crackle, pop

lorrieandjas
9th January 2013, 05:23 PM
I've been trying to rake the gum leaves from around the house and sheds, but the wind just keeps piling them back up. When the rain stopped, I got on the ride on mower and made more fire breaks in the paddocks while it was safe to do so. The cfa website has said that the fire at Drik Drik, about 50 something ks to the west, is burning to the containment lines. They've done a fantastic job and my hat goes off to them. We've got the camper trailer ready to go and are dreading the heat predicted for Friday. My heart aches ( if that is the correct term) for the victims of the fires.

Hope all stays well there mate.

Jas

MEGOMONSTER
9th January 2013, 07:02 PM
A smoke haze and smell of smoke has come over Noosa. The sky is orange.

lorrieandjas
9th January 2013, 08:55 PM
Hey Mego - apparently there were fires on Bribie today.

Jas

krbrooking
9th January 2013, 08:58 PM
Everyone within the St. Andrews area there is a fire that has just flared up there.

DX grunt
9th January 2013, 09:39 PM
Just heard on ABC news that 134 fires are burning at the moment in NSW, many are still out of control! Unbelievable.

Take care out there.

Rossco

krbrooking
9th January 2013, 09:53 PM
It's such a shame, it's one thing for a natural fire to run wild but for these idiots that keep lighting fires they need to be strung up by their you know what's.

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2013, 10:04 PM
It's such a shame, it's one thing for a natural fire to run wild but for these idiots that keep lighting fires they need to be strung up by their you know what's.

they should be tied to a tree in the path of an oncoming firefront

lorrieandjas
9th January 2013, 10:09 PM

Or better still made to clean up the dead bodies and wildlife. And then knock on the door of the relatives and explain what happened. All while the police look the other way while the relatives have their "discussion".

Jas

MC97GQ
10th January 2013, 08:35 AM
Went out last night for mop up and spotting any potential flare ups, VERY QUIET NIGHT, THANK GOODNESS.

The heat and wind are supposed to pick up again towards the weekend so who knows what will happen then, but with the bit of a break now, the guys are cutting in some big fire breaks at the moment, two D9's were going all last night near us.

One of the fire captains said last night"They are predicting every weather condition imaginable, except the one we want - RAIN"

Anyway guys it's all good here at the moment, I hope it stays that way.

Mark

Winnie
10th January 2013, 08:51 AM

I dont want them to feel physical harm. I want them to feel the hurt of all the victims they have caused. The families of lost ones, people who lost their homes etc...

AB
11th January 2013, 07:16 PM
Wow we just had a bit of a scare. Bushfire on our area, we had 42 trucks and 6 helicopters dropping water. Pretty amazing sight really!!!

I forgot to take photos!!!

AB
11th January 2013, 07:19 PM
Hats off to our Cfa members, bloody professional!!!!

krbrooking
11th January 2013, 07:24 PM
Thats good man, thank god they are onto it. is that the one that is in kangaroo grnd or another one.

Also found out today from the father inlaw the the fire in st andrews the other night was from some idiots the had a bon fire going that got out of control, how stupid can you get???????

Lonicus
11th January 2013, 07:26 PM
They do an amazing job!!

AB
11th January 2013, 07:26 PM
Stupid mate, especially this time of year! Yeah mate the kg one, pretty amazing to watch Elvis and coleen drop their water bombs!!!

krbrooking
11th January 2013, 07:29 PM
Yeh I have seen them picking the water up over in Perth at my sisters house that over looks this pond/damb, it sure is a site to see. Those pilots are amazing.

Sir Roofy
11th January 2013, 07:57 PM
Wow we just had a bit of a scare. Bushfire on our area, we had 42 trucks and 6 helicopters dropping water. Pretty amazing sight really!!!

I forgot to take photos!!!

your forgiven mate that would be an awsome site

megatexture
11th January 2013, 09:26 PM
One of the bad ones in southern tas was started by an unattended camp fire! The rest of them were mostly started by lightning. Luckily no f wits lighting them.

Tap, crackle, pop
My wife's uncle lives at eagle hawk neck and were evacuated from 4 locations but I think they are out of danger now but they have been told they may not have power for a few months....

NissanGQ4.2
11th January 2013, 09:44 PM
I dont want them to feel physical harm. I want them to feel the hurt of all the victims they have caused. The families of lost ones, people who lost their homes etc...

I don't think people that start fires deliberately would feel anything for what they have done, they know before they do it what fires a capable of

MEGOMONSTER
11th January 2013, 10:41 PM
Am I going to be able to get to Narooma with these fires happening south of Sydney. Does anybody know if there are any road closures down that way.

Lonicus
12th January 2013, 05:21 AM
Looks to be OK at the moment Mego but today is going to be a shocker, heat-wise.

Found this live traffic report (http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html) page on the NSW Bushfire site. You should be able to keep an eye on things through that.

Maxhead
12th January 2013, 06:17 AM
As above.

Deans Gap Fire near Sussex Inlet : The Princes Highway remains open, however this is subject to fire conditions. Smoke may impact the Princes Highway so take care if driving in this area. Please check Live Traffic(link above) or call the RMS on 132 701 for the latest information on roads.

There is another fire at Warrigal near Brogo but is south of Narooma and is now under control but if you are travelling south later on the the conditions change keep an eye on this one as well.

MEGOMONSTER
12th January 2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks guys. Great.

threedogs
12th January 2013, 08:39 AM
See they caught some 12yo s that lit a few fires. WTF are they thinking, some historical homesteads have been burnt to the ground how the heck do you replace history. I'm shattered over these tools.

Winnie
12th January 2013, 08:45 AM
I heard 16 yo? Worst part is they will probably get a slap on the wrist because they had a hard upbringing and its not their fault or some BS like that. Put them in juvi for 2 years then straight to jail. Once their term is up put them in the army and send them to Afghanistan.

Cuppa
12th January 2013, 09:16 AM
As some of you know I live in a high fire danger area.
A few years ago, pre 2009, (ie. before most of the bush around us was burned on Black Saturday) a young 'difficult to place' lad in the care of social services, with a known history of arson, was placed in the care of a young bloke (paid carer) in a rented house close to us. The carer often left the boy alone. Guess what happened. We had several small fires close by until the boy was removed after managing to burn several hectares of grass & bush. If the wind had changed we would have been directly impacted. We didn't blame the boy who by all accounts wasn't the full monty, but what the hell were DHS thinking placing a known arsonist in the middle of the bush, in a high fire danger area with an inexperienced carer? Sheesh it really does make you wonder about some of the professional decision making.

mudnut
12th January 2013, 11:12 AM
They were probably only to happy to have someone take the boy, cause its getting harder to find carers.

mudnut
12th January 2013, 11:20 AM
Back on subject; The fire near Drik Drik is controlled according to the cfa website, but its still burning. It has been a massive job for all fire fighters involved. Some campsites in the Lower Glenelg National park have reopened.

NissanGQ4.2
12th January 2013, 04:10 PM
And its not getting any better out there :(

Yarrabin Fire: An Emergency Warning has been issued. 15 properties are at threat in the Kybeyan & Countegany areas.

An Emerg Alert SMS sent to residents in area bounded to the N by Tuross Rd & Jibolaro Rd & to the S by Haines rd.

Maxhead
12th January 2013, 04:56 PM
Went out last night for mop up and spotting any potential flare ups, VERY QUIET NIGHT, THANK GOODNESS.

The heat and wind are supposed to pick up again towards the weekend so who knows what will happen then, but with the bit of a break now, the guys are cutting in some big fire breaks at the moment, two D9's were going all last night near us.

One of the fire captains said last night"They are predicting every weather condition imaginable, except the one we want - RAIN"

Anyway guys it's all good here at the moment, I hope it stays that way.

Mark

Well, it hasn't gone your way mate. GOOD LUCK over there. Back to Emergency Warning Status!!!

kevin07
12th January 2013, 07:10 PM
last tuesday we got caught at wandandian for 20 hours on the side of the road, done an interview for the abc whilst there got my beutiful troll on tv

Bloodyaussie
12th January 2013, 07:54 PM
last tuesday we got caught at wandandian for 20 hours on the side of the road, done an interview for the abc whilst there got my beutiful troll on tv

But did you have the NissanPatrol.com.au stickers on your rig that is the question!!!!

MC97GQ
13th January 2013, 08:17 AM
And its not getting any better out there :(

Yarrabin Fire: An Emergency Warning has been issued. 15 properties are at threat in the Kybeyan & Countegany areas.

An Emerg Alert SMS sent to residents in area bounded to the N by Tuross Rd & Jibolaro Rd & to the S by Haines rd.

The stupid thing about that is there is virtually no mobile service in that area. If you stand on the highest hill on one leg with your tongue poking out you might actually get that text if you are very lucky.

Anyway we have caught a bit of a break, wind wasn't anywhere near as bad as expected yesterday and temperatures have been considerably cooler yesterday afternoon and last night. We were supposed to go out last night, but at this stage they have stood all the Nimmitabel crews down till Monday, so at least we all get a bit of a break(hopefully). They have put some big containment lines in with dozers and by controlled burns so lets hope the worst of it is over. So far only one residence lost, a few sheds and out buildings, some stock losses here(but not as bad as elsewhere) and most importantly NO LIVES. A local Cat1 Fire truck rolled over Friday night(not a Nimmitabel truck and not the crews fault - road collapsed) when we were out, but no one was injured.

We have certainly been very very fortunate here, but we are still not out of the woods, temperatures are supposed to rise again this week and they have said Thursday may end up being a bad day(fingers crossed they are wrong).

So that's an update on how things are in my neck of the woods, I hope it is all as good elsewhere.

Mark

mudnut
17th January 2013, 02:26 PM
Sheesh, Its getting a bit on the scary side. Had a fire south of me, which the cfa reckon is controlled. There's still smoke from Drik Drik and the wind is picking up. Packed and ready to take off yet again.

MC97GQ
17th January 2013, 02:31 PM
Good luck Mudnut,

You stay safe mate and keep well away from them fires.

Take care

Mark

mudnut
17th January 2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks mate, Im just gunna spray to wood work down and keep an eye out. Just heard that there is a fire near mt baw baw. take care anyone nearby.

AB
17th January 2013, 02:38 PM
Good luck mate, fingers crossed for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Maxhead
17th January 2013, 02:56 PM
Sh1t mate, bad news. Please don't be a hero mate, its not worth a life/s.....Good luck

mudnut
17th January 2013, 04:00 PM
No worries, mate,no hero here. I just heard on the radio that even though the smoke from the west makes the fire look very active, it is still burning well within containment lines. I just went for a walk in the paddocks. The smoke from that fire had blown across the sky to the south. That' s the smoke I thought was from the cashmore fire. All good here, but Pakenham is copping it now.

Maxhead
17th January 2013, 06:40 PM
Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the Canberra 2003 fires...I remember that day like it was yesterday.
Knowing it was ganna be 40+ degree day I went over to a mates place for a swim first thing in the morning( over the west side of Canberra),Having a few beers and BBQ as you do we started to hear choppers cruising around sucking water from any dams and any pools around...and sure enough mates place pool got sucked dry in a matter of a minute. My house was pretty safe but at the bottom of a hill which always burned during summer. I decided to go home to prepare for a fire. Driving home out of this full on fire area seeing fire twisters, ambers flying, cars on fire, houses burning, people screaming and it was totally dark. This was just an unbelievable event I will never forget...Scary sh1t!

NissanGQ4.2
17th January 2013, 06:44 PM
What's the update on your area Mark, RFS site says "Being Controlled".......would sound better if it said under control

Winnie
17th January 2013, 08:13 PM
The Aberfeldy fire is now up to 3700 acres. Unbelievable, that is enormous. Cannot imagine.

Winnie
17th January 2013, 08:42 PM
Now they are saying that tomorrow will be worse. Fires predicted to reach Licola

NissanGQ4.2
17th January 2013, 08:49 PM
The Aberfeldy fire is now up to 3700 acres. Unbelievable, that is enormous. Cannot imagine.

Yarrabin Fire - 12,100 hectares

Deans Gap - 9,000 hectares

Yarrabin Fire - 12,100 hectares

Now that's a lot of acres and there all still burning

AB
17th January 2013, 08:49 PM
Bugger all rain tomorrow too. I just ran out of water again today. So dry!!! Haven't had good rain in 6 weeks???

threedogs
18th January 2013, 06:24 AM
Licola road closed, need some rain this could turn really bad.
very tough country that way too, don't know how you'd fight it ELVIS maybe?
fingers crossed no more new ones "start"

Jacket_1985
18th January 2013, 07:12 AM
Licola road closed, need some rain this could turn really bad.
very tough country that way too, don't know how you'd fight it ELVIS maybe?
fingers crossed no more new ones "start"

Yeah, i was up there a few years back after they got burnt. . . . . . plenty of handy water in the mak at least. . . . they always seem to save licola. everything else gets burnt to a crisp.
Arsonists 12yo? 16yo? who cares? . . . . . . nek minnit, "but officer they had antlers"

Winnie
18th January 2013, 07:18 AM
Yeah, i was up there a few years back after they got burnt. . . . . . plenty of handy water in the mak at least. . . . they always seem to save licola. everything else gets burnt to a crisp.
Arsonists 12yo? 16yo? who cares? . . . . . . nek minnit, "but officer they had antlers"

Just like Walhalla, they're not at risk now but they always get saved

Bob
18th January 2013, 09:49 AM
Have a read of this

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=836835&vId=3760674&cId=Top%20Stories

Winnie
18th January 2013, 01:46 PM
Fire has been updated to 44500ha.
I just walked outside at work and it was cold, so the change has come about. Then it started to rain too which is great news

threedogs
18th January 2013, 02:18 PM
Looked black as your way Winnie but only for a little while, but like black saturday these fires create their own rain weird as it sounds

They say Licola will be gone by 4 this afternoon,

lorrieandjas
18th January 2013, 03:36 PM
Bugger - I thought I read that the residents were trapped there with the road in being completely cut off?

Jas

Winnie
18th January 2013, 04:08 PM
I have a friend of a friend with property at Licola. His shack burnt down in the last fires and he has only just finished rebuilding. Must be like déjà vu for the poor bloke

Jacket_1985
18th January 2013, 04:51 PM
I have a friend of a friend with property at Licola. His shack burnt down in the last fires and he has only just finished rebuilding. Must be like déjà vu for the poor bloke

Rob gilder? Anthony higgins? Brian higgins? who we talking about?

threedogs
18th January 2013, 05:26 PM
Must be strong people, reckon it'd be too much for me ATM, but we are Aussies and we help our neighbours, My 4x4 club help with re fencing burn't boundries, and cleaning up after floods.
as you said Winnie de ja vu,but how much can a koala bare

Winnie
18th January 2013, 06:49 PM
Rob gilder? Anthony higgins? Brian higgins? who we talking about?

I only know him as Stumpy

growler2058
18th January 2013, 06:52 PM
Missed where but the news just said someone has been killed in a fire, body found on burnt out property

taslucas
18th January 2013, 07:01 PM
Missed where but the news just said someone has been killed in a fire, body found on burnt out property

That's the news we didnt want to hear. Absolutely horrible.
Stay safe everyone out there.......

FanTapstic!

growler2058
18th January 2013, 07:01 PM
Gippsland area in a burnt out car

krbrooking
18th January 2013, 07:29 PM
Far out I hope everyone is safe out there and and as many ppl as possible survive this ordeal, it is so devastating to hear about the bad news.

Cuppa
18th January 2013, 07:37 PM
I only know him as Stumpy

Small world, I know Stumpy. Property opposite the Confusion Rally site (motorcycles). I went up there to help clean up his place after the first fire. It used to be a wonderful idyllic little spot to sit & yarn out in front of the shack, around the fire pit in the shade of those two young walnut trees.

Winnie
18th January 2013, 07:47 PM
Hey Cuppa, I've never met him he's a good friend of one of the guys I work with. Wouldn't surprise me if you've met him there or something. Never met the bloke and he's invited me to stay at his place.

NissanGQ4.2
18th January 2013, 09:05 PM
Been keeping a close eye on the NSW RFS website, bloody hell the amount of new out of control fires appearing on there map is insane :( :( :(

24594 24595

Alitis007
22nd January 2013, 03:39 PM
Don't know if this a grass fire but something is blazing around epping way, anybody know???24881

Maxhead
22nd January 2013, 03:43 PM
Don't know if this a grass fire but something is blazing around epping way, anybody know???24881

LALOR - BELLARINE DR. its not controled yet and there are 5 units attending

Alitis007
22nd January 2013, 03:45 PM
I saw 1 truck drive past, probably some little turd playing with matches!!

threedogs
22nd January 2013, 03:54 PM
During summer unless its raining it should be a fire ban for 3 months, IMO it seems stupid only half of Vic has a Ban but if I'm in the other half I can weld,grind and BBQ to it's hearts content,
This is EG only, when I go fishing up the Murray over summer I can have a fire, yet the other side of the Murray can't. Just seems stupid. Over summer easy to cook and have camp lighting without the need for a fire , Today would be a good day to be total fire ban, and for farmers FFS burn off in winter. I'm great with Hindsight. Think some may be insurance jobs as well

Alitis007
22nd January 2013, 04:10 PM
I think your right John but the arson squad has to go thru the scene aswell to say weather it was deliberate or not, like the house fire last night in St Albans that killed a 21yo and it was declared to be not suspicious!

Sir Roofy
22nd January 2013, 04:25 PM
Bring back the stocks i say in the middle of town

nine tails would be fitting for these mongrels in the middle of town

Winnie
22nd January 2013, 04:34 PM
You must be getting soft in your old age Roofy! Physical pain is no good... Gotta hurt them in a way they will have to deal with for the rest of their life.

Sir Roofy
22nd January 2013, 04:45 PM
you must be getting soft in your old age roofy! Physical pain is no good... Gotta hurt them in a way they will have to deal with for the rest of their life.

humiliation mate goes a long way you,d never be forgiven or forgoten