PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Clunk ???

Leanne
8th January 2013, 10:28 AM
Hi. I have a GU that has developed a horrid, heavy clunk when I stop at anything less than a really gentle rolling stop. Anyone got any ideas on what might be causing it as it sounds serious, but I'm not sure where to start looking?

Sir Roofy
8th January 2013, 11:02 AM
Jump over to introductions tell us abit aboutyour self
someone will be along to answer you

BigRAWesty
8th January 2013, 01:18 PM
That'll do for an intro..
Jump under the front axel and look at the radius arm bolts which attach arm to diff, mine were loose and needed replacing.
If the flogging hasn't worn away to much metal then a simple bolt changeout will do.
If its to flogged you'll need to weld on some washers.

Here is my thread for you to read
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=291748

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Leanne
8th January 2013, 08:20 PM
No, don't think that's it Westy. This seems "heavier" and mechanical, like maybe gearbox, or drive or something. Like something heavy dropping into/out of place as I come to a stop? Doesn't reproduce while stationary.

growler2058
8th January 2013, 08:21 PM
Maybe time to check gearbox mounts, however when the radius arm bushes shag out it can give a big clunk

BigRAWesty
8th January 2013, 08:47 PM
Worth a check.. but maybe also check engine and gearbox mounts

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

GUtsy ute
8th January 2013, 09:01 PM
I think he's a great member of the Forum!
Not nasty at all.LOL.

Seriously though, where are you in OZ?

Having someone else look at it is worthwhile, maybe some members nearby could have a squiz for you.

lorrieandjas
8th January 2013, 09:50 PM
Not nasty at all.LOL.

Ok - took me a minute! :)

Jas

Clunk
8th January 2013, 10:38 PM
Not nasty at all.LOL.

Seriously though, where are you in OZ?

Having someone else look at it is worthwhile, maybe some members nearby could have a squiz for you.

I'm keeping out of this one coz my post will only be deleted lol.:......... Ooops too late

Sorry for th hijack........ As you were

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

happygu
8th January 2013, 10:57 PM
Check your uni joints on the tailshaft and also check the Slip Joint on the front of the Tailshaft for wear or lack of grease.

It could be in the diff itself, the suspension, the gearbox or transfer, broken engine mount.

Does it do it in Reverse as well as forwards?

Leanne
9th January 2013, 02:00 AM
Good point Happygtu. Hadn't thought of trying to replicate it in reverse. What would be the possible significance of that?

Leanne
9th January 2013, 02:02 AM
Sincere apologies to Mr Clunk. Didn't mean to imply you were nasty :-P

Leanne
15th January 2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Replaced worn Panhard bushes with nolathane and pumped a heap of grease into every nipple I could find on the drive shaft and uni joints.
No clunk when I stop and also the front end wobble that had really become unbearable has disappeared.

DX grunt
15th January 2013, 01:31 PM
Nasty Clunk ???

Certainly grabbed my attention. Sorry I can't help. lol

Edit: Glad you fixed your problem, you hope. 'No clunk' - sounds better that Nasty Clunk. lol

threedogs
15th January 2013, 02:53 PM
Needs to go up on a hoist and all joints, etc checked with big screwdrver or similar, Even check your wheel nuts ,check the lot, lets us know the out come please

BigRAWesty
15th January 2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Replaced worn Panhard bushes with nolathane and pumped a heap of grease into every nipple I could find on the drive shaft and uni joints.
No clunk when I stop and also the front end wobble that had really become unbearable has disappeared.

X2 with TD. Sounds like drag rod and steering rod ends are shot. The grease will move out and wobbles will return.
Atleast you found your issues

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

choppie
16th January 2013, 10:47 AM
Horray for for Leanne, no more Nasty Clunk???????? Sorry couldn't help myself, LMAO