PDA

View Full Version : GU 2.8 Gauge setup

Rosscoe
7th January 2013, 08:09 PM
Hi, am just about ready to connect the aftermaket gauges I have for my 2.8GU, installing an, Oil Temp, Volt, Boost and EGT (all seperate gauges) into a home made top of dash pod, need some info please, I dont want to lose the factory warning light for my Oil, so where can i fit the sender for my electric Oil Temp Gauge, also is it better to fit the EGT pre or post turbo and does the dump pipe on these have provision for the sender or do I need to have one drilled and tapped for the sender. Gauges have already been fitted to my pod and the wires have been routed via top of dash down side of the dash between the door and dash and into engine bay, just waiting for the expert info I need to confidently and competently do the final hook up.

Thanks guys always get and read great info from here.

WYLD333
7th January 2013, 08:35 PM
I have my egt probe just after my turbo before the bend on the dump, had to drill mine n weld a nut on then screw in the probe. May b able to drill n tap but i welded a nut on 4 a bit of xtra thread

Ian2011
15th January 2013, 08:29 PM
Not sure because my 2.8 is back in the shop so cannot have a look, (long story involves a timing belt and a fan belt and the dream of a 6.5 ltr chevy transplant) but isn't the stock sender electric, if the resistances on both senders are similar, wouldn't you just be able to connect to it. Alternatively find a good engine diagram and see if there is any other plugs around oil galleries that may allow for fitament of a new sender. I 'm pretty sure you can also get filter housings that have the facility to add senders.

Rosscoe
15th January 2013, 09:29 PM
Thank you for the reply, not sure about the oil sender, not sure though if it will cause error code also if they are both connected, the oil filter adaptor maybe the way to go, I will post up the question in general section and see if anyone else has gone the aftermarket gauge and also kept the original.

mudski
17th January 2013, 11:57 AM
The OEM oil pressure sender is just for a light, it won't work on a gauge. You need a VDO type oil pressure sender for a gauge (which has to match your gauge too) and remove the OEM sender, put in a brass t-peice into the block and then screw both senders into that t-peice. Then you can have both gauge and light working.
The EGT sender goes just after the turbo, before the bend, as close to the turbo as possible. Some just drill and tap the pipe but I welded a bung in mine from VDO. So atelast I know it wont come loose at any time.

Edit : a sender like this...
http://www.howardinstruments.com.au/product_details.php?productid=470&mdid=2cd2a6d3ef9ae9f8c33e99ee9df04b58
The sender needs to match the gauge otherwise you will get a false reading. what gauge do you have?