PDA

View Full Version : Throttle position sensor trouble

Bloodyaussie
7th January 2013, 04:59 PM
Heading back from Lilydale this morning and just short of getting back home the car suddenly lost power on gas so I switched to petrol and she just cut out so I quickly switched back to gas and she picked up again but was still down on power.

I limped home and rang both mechanics I use and still shut for holidays so another call to a mate to see if he knew anyone else, he sent me to a place round the corner and the young bloke did driveway service for me and after a quick drive and me telling him I had a donor car he told me to go and swap the throttle position sensor and maybe the air meter near the airbox.

Upon taking off the part from the donor car I then started on my rig and as soon as I went to undo the plugs discovered that of the 3 wires only one was connected and one was only hanging on by a hair and the third was not connected at all..

As soon as I swapped sensor and soldered the wires she ran perfect.

This may explain some trouble I was having some time ago in which I swapped fuel pump bought a converter and re-earth so many cables and in the end the problem just suddenly was gone but with no real answer as to why this happened??

Now I wonder as the wires were still hidden by electrical tape was there still a connection but only barely and is why the problem seems to come and go until now!!!!??????

I hope this is sorted as I dont want to go on this trip worried that it would just start all over with this problem???

Winnie
7th January 2013, 05:08 PM
Do t worry mate there will be plenty of blokes there to stand and drink beer while watching you fix it at Aberfeldy. Lmao sounds like you've fixed he problem though?

Bloodyaussie
7th January 2013, 07:53 PM
I bloody hope so as it is frustrating and a worry considering the places we go!!!

boots
7th January 2013, 09:13 PM
Good news by the sounds of it BA. reckon youve found and fixed your problem . Welldone . I will think positive for you .. if that helps .One of those time will tell issues .

happygu
7th January 2013, 09:44 PM
I think you've been lucky...that should be the end of your problems.....

Well done on finding it

Conradk
8th January 2013, 01:07 AM
Your wiring story is so familiar. My rig, after 14 years and 200K is mechanically as good as new. Motor 100's, drive train sound as a bell and body solid. Dodgy wiring (both because of fiddling and age) is the weak spot!