PDA

View Full Version : GU blowing BLACK SMOKE

grubkenbel
7th January 2013, 07:45 AM
Hi, Well before I go out and pay $600 on a new MAF sensor I would like to know everyones opinion on why my GU is still blowing black smoke.

Heres the run down so far:

Had all 4 injectors replaced in August 2012 as well as the Turbo.

Car started playing up by losing power. So cleaned the MAF Sensor. Which helped a bit with the power loss but now seems to have gone back to shitty power.

GU blows black smoke 3/4 of the time when normal driving on gear changes. and when overtaking vehicles or generally just putting foot on accelerator.

My question is could it be the MAF sensor or pistons and how could I tell if it is the pistons?

I have a scan tool and the only codes it brings up from time to time is the blocked EGR.
no other codes come up.

Please help I dont want to waste $600 if that wont fix the issue.

The Car is a 2007 GU 3.0ltr turbo diesel. Its done 155,600 kms
Has a roof basket, 3 inch lift, 305x75 r 16 Mickey thompson ttc's.
Bullbar driving lights, so am assuming its not too much about the weight of the truck causing the smoke or am I wrong?

BigRAWesty
7th January 2013, 08:36 AM
First up compression test.
Then clean the maf sensor and while your at it Block the egr and save future issues.
Id also do fuel filter as you may have picked up a bad batch of fuel threw the shortagr

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Sir Roofy
7th January 2013, 11:02 AM
Have you cecked the intercooler for leaks,pinched hoses or crackes
try reseating i/c hoses,clean or replace air filter,try a new fuel filter or drain

WYLD333
7th January 2013, 08:21 PM
Cheak the maf 4 voltage or if you know anyone with a patrol swap their maf in n c if that helps, other than that id look 4 leaks around intercooler

kevin07
8th January 2013, 09:35 AM
a stuffed egr valve will do exactly that

belken
8th January 2013, 03:26 PM
my egr is blocked

my third 256
9th January 2013, 07:11 AM
is it crd or direct injection

threedogs
9th January 2013, 10:42 AM
It's an 07 so take its a Cr could be a split ic hose causing over fueling. This is why I always stress to fit a pillar pod with
EGT and boost gauges. You get so much more . Ifo that way instead of guessing
I'd remove and check, clean IC then replace and tighten hoses clean maf. Turn key and pray

my third 256
10th January 2013, 03:41 AM
It's an 07 so take its a Cr could be a split ic hose causing over fueling. This is why I always stress to fit a pillar pod with
EGT and boost gauges. You get so much more . Ifo that way instead of guessing
I'd remove and check, clean IC then replace and tighten hoses clean maf. Turn key and pray
early 07 are di late 07 are crd

Rustyboner81
10th January 2013, 05:23 AM
Nissannewby had a thread about blowing smoke. I dont know how to join the two threads. But it had this link below

http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

Mike Myers
27th November 2013, 08:56 PM
I had the same problem with 2006 with same mileage. It turned out to be a broken hose clamp on the inlet after the turbo. 20c later it was perfect again.