PDA

View Full Version : Different Ratios in F/R diffs ??

Trolatron
5th January 2013, 10:08 PM
I had another rear diff put in by a local mechanic and somethings not right... when its in L4 and I reverse with a bit of right hand down I get a loud bang from the back end and the passinger rear wheel jumps and skipps a bit ( this is on dirt ) .When I take off from an intersection while turning L/R (on road in 2WD) sometimes it feels a little grabby at the back wheels like the inside tyre is forced to turn faster than it needs to to make the turn, I can feel it grab on the road surface and hear the tyre tread slipping a bit.

If axle whs broken it would be undrivable wouldnt it ??

What would happen if he put wrong diff ratio in the rear ??

Any ideas ??

MudRunnerTD
5th January 2013, 10:14 PM
When in 2wd there would be zero effect. In 4wd it would be catestrophic and immediate.

Was the diff a new one or second hand? Do you have a history on it? Did it come with a warranty? Sounds like its knackered mate. It either has a mini spool in it, a locked diff lock, it's been welded or its been chewed. I don't think it's a ratio issue.

Good luck

Winnie
5th January 2013, 10:20 PM
Yeah sounds like a mini spool to me, I had one in my last EA

Jacket_1985
5th January 2013, 10:26 PM
patrol i assume? somebody welded it? i didnt think you could buy as minispool h233.

if its a locker it shouldn't work without air/electricity etc. but thats what you describe. like its rear locked.

Trolatron
5th January 2013, 11:02 PM
Yeh its wierd, for the most part it drives around town fine appart from tight turns from a stand still. The diff is suposedly a low km 2nd hand one.
I now have no comfidene in the mechanic especially after he told me how at first he got sent the wrong diff to put in, he said "it only had 9 bolt holes instead of 11 and it was a 31 spline not 33 spline" and I asked him if that was a front diff?? he threw his arms up and said "DUNO" like he has no idea of what he needed and didnt want to discuss it.
Ill be taking it back next week but would like to have a few ideas what it could be.
Tomorrow I will see if I can video it and post it up.

Trolatron
7th January 2013, 01:20 AM
Here is a video of the clunking noise from the diff area.
The first part shows the tyre skipping like its transmission wind up and it can be felt threw the stearing.
If you ignore the breaking sound you can hear a click/bang noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL78Ff4DIOw&feature=youtu.be

Alitis007
7th January 2013, 01:35 AM
Is it a LSD or single spinner?? If its a LSD it sounds like the clutches are worn inside and it has jammed internally some how when its supposed to slip, but if its a single spinner the pin that holds the spider gears could have slipped out and is hitting the housing. If i where doing the job you wouldn't have been given the car back if i heard those noises!!

90mav
11th January 2013, 08:46 AM
I wonder if the diff sat for a while out of a car, the clutches have kind if seized up? The truck I just bought was/is a bit like this and has sat around for a while. It has improved but is still very tight. Could be a bonus off road...
A diff repair guy told me years ago that GQ lsd will get better with wear. Something to do with the angle of the teeth on the side gears pushing the clutches together tighter as they wear out. I had asked him about shimming the diff up and he told me this and said it was a waste of time with a GQ. My first GQ had over 300000km and still had a nice tight LSD.

MudRunnerTD
11th January 2013, 08:52 AM
Surely the Mechanic cant be saying that that is an acceptable change over diff????? Show him the vid and ask him for another diff.

Trolatron
11th January 2013, 09:43 AM
I showed him the video and he it is going back in today for him to take a look at whats wrong.

Thanks for your replys guys, I will let you know the outcome.

Morton
11th January 2013, 07:58 PM
yer that definately didnt sound right, I was going to suggest a decent LSD oil change but that has nothing to do with the noise I hear here

Trolatron
11th January 2013, 11:03 PM
yer that definately didnt sound right, I was going to suggest a decent LSD oil change but that has nothing to do with the noise I hear here

Yes your right mate. I took it back in and they put a light/camera into the diff and the sun gears and everything were all ok so they changed the oil to another type and also put in a bottle of LSD oil addative of some sort and now it all good. I havent had the chance to test it out under harsh conditions yet but I re-done what was done in the video and it seems all good. It turns a tight circle much better to, the wheel skipps a tiny bit but that may be just a good lsd working.

BigRAWesty
11th January 2013, 11:35 PM
Well bugga me.. it sounded a lot worse than that.. good to hear its sorted though. Hopefully...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca
12th January 2013, 07:29 AM
Have trouble getting my head around the fix, oils aint oils Sol !!!

Glad to hear all is well and you are happy now.

Bloodyaussie
12th January 2013, 07:45 AM
Wow you would expect the worst wouldn't you from that noise??

Funny how bad things turn out not to be and the little things bight you in the bum and turn into big things..

Morton
12th January 2013, 08:10 AM
well you could blow me over with that one, seemingly oils arent oils at all as said by MACCA, certainly learnt something here, maybe it was a case of sitting around for a long time & the diff oil went to sh#t or maybe just the wrong diff oil, anyway, glad it was an easy fix for you, I like to hear about easy fix's, cya on the tracks