PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power up hill and whilst towing Patrol ZD30 2001

crossleon
4th January 2013, 10:55 AM
Hi
Had a new GARRETT turbo installed and then a new MAF sensor installed a month ago..now there is no power up hill at 2000 rps
been ;to the the local mechanic and said it could be the fuel pump any sugestions
thanks
already spent heaps wondering if any one had similar trouble with their patrols

boots
4th January 2013, 04:20 PM
Check your earth connections on the engine intake manifold under the intercooler . MAFs can be tempremental things so dont discount it still being the problem . Goodluck with it . My old mans fuel pump went on his ZD30 . 300thou on the clock and the cost was a tadd over 4G . Lets hope yours doesnt need doing yet . Have you replaced your fuel filter recently ?

patroljock52
5th January 2013, 07:35 AM
I have exactly this problem with my 2001 Y61 ZD 30 - have tried lots of of advice on why/where/etc - 14 months down the line I am still no further forward - today swapped the intercooler from my other Patrol as my mate thought it was leaking therefore reducing boost - alas no further forward - have removed the EGR valve and cleaned/remounted etc now twice with I think some improvement - at 2800 revs this truck will pull any thing any where uphill - sadly if you fail in the gear shift slick all is lost and the poor mothers behind me must think I am peddling the truck uphill - today I've ordered two gasket sets to do some experimental work - re. remove EGR and remount with blanking plate - if this works I fear I need a new EGR valve - AHH £480 sterling - will keep this thread updated by result
*** Have renewed all vacuum hoses/pipelines - still the same problem.
As a last resort I cleaned out the MAF sensor with the correct spray etc - still the same problem
I then took a chance and ordered a new MAF sensor core from a guy on Ebay - £40 sterling worth a gamble
BINGO !!!!! THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED - YAHOO BEASTING UP AND DOWN ANY HILLS WITH A FULL LOAD ON THE TRAILER
This info was a chance find on your forum from the GURU - thanks guys

crossleon
5th January 2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the advice patroljock52 and Boots Got the patrol seen at an authorised Service center Stevejarvin nissan in Sydney they put it on the SCAN and nothing came up.
The boys at Steve Jarvin nissan though it migh be a weak primary fuel pump so they have replaced the primary pump for $245 Aussie dollars.

just back from a long drive and drove up and down a few big hills ... the patrol good for the first few k's then the same problem was struggling to do 55 up slopes on 3000rpm
got worst when I switched the AC on .... struggled even more... wait gets better stopped at a set of lights with the AC on the patrol would not move forward till 1500rpms then began to roll forwards and finally began to do 20 30 then 40k's when I switched the AC off... any more sugesstions as

Ben-e-boy
5th January 2013, 03:05 PM
Ithink you should get the compression checked.

WYLD333
5th January 2013, 03:27 PM
Whats your car boosting at m8

Yendor
5th January 2013, 03:37 PM
How's your cooling system, what is the coolant system temperature when this problem occurs?

Have you checked the exhaust system for blockages?

Sir Roofy
5th January 2013, 04:46 PM
Dirty fuel lines,algie in the tanks

crossleon
6th January 2013, 01:15 PM
hi in regards to the exhaust system it was checked to be good exceptt for a leak in the exhaust manifold from the turbo,,, that makes a loud screeching sound when cold and then stops as there is a small leak that fills up when the metal expands..
would this effect the performance...excuse my ignorance

BillsGU
6th January 2013, 02:39 PM
The only thing common with all your symptoms (IMHO) is vacuum. Check all your hoses carefully. They sometimes split and crack - especially where they mount to fittings.

Yendor
6th January 2013, 03:02 PM
hi in regards to the exhaust system it was checked to be good exceptt for a leak in the exhaust manifold from the turbo,,, that makes a loud screeching sound when cold and then stops as there is a small leak that fills up when the metal expands..
would this effect the performance...excuse my ignorance

I wouldn't think this would be the cause of your problem.

I would be looking for a possible blockage in the exhaust that is restricting the flow of exhaust gases under load.

It's not your clutch or auto slipping is it?

macca86
6th January 2013, 04:34 PM
Bad fuel split lines turbo hoses poor earths

Sir Roofy
6th January 2013, 05:01 PM
i wouldn't think this would be the cause of your problem.

I would be looking for a possible blockage in the exhaust that is restricting the flow of exhaust gases under load.

It's not your clutch or auto slipping is it?

might be a colasped cat converter
tap it with a hammer if so will hear rattle

crossleon
14th January 2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.. just got the leak in the exhuast manifold sorted out there were two busted bolts,,, however now with the exhaust system ok my patrol seems to have the same problem up hill still reving 3000rpm whilst doing 55ks before activatingn the engine warning light...need help

crossleon
14th January 2013, 02:16 PM
FYI I have a new turbo, a new MAF sensor a new primary fuel pump and about to change the injectors... last attempt before a heart breaking sale....

Sir Roofy
14th January 2013, 07:06 PM
Must be boost then

macca86
14th January 2013, 07:56 PM
Well id agree the boost isn't right. Do you have a boost and pyro guage that would tell you if its boost related or maff related.

TurboOne
14th January 2013, 11:59 PM
If the scan is not reading any codes, then sounds like it could be mechanical. Just the other day, we had two cars come into work with split hoses, the customers were thinking it was stuffed turbos. One was a factory hose, the other we got away with using silicon hoses.

As others have said, check the boost with a guage etc. The other thing to do, is take it to a mechanical workshop that has had experience with these cars, who might be able to run though a few quick checks and hopefully help sort out your problem.

belken
18th January 2013, 04:05 PM
Mine did the same and ended up needing the 4 injectors replaced

WYLD333
18th January 2013, 09:29 PM
For the sake of a coupple if hundred bucks m8 stick the gauges on n c whats going on then theres no more guess wrk.

Brisat
19th January 2013, 10:16 PM
Fuel starvation as it appears to be ok until you ask it to work. Classic starvation symptoms. Get the fuel system checked by an injector service place