PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Y61 Safari (GU Patrol) 4.2td towing capacity?

wechosethegoodlife
3rd January 2013, 08:59 AM
Hi All,

I am now preparing the Safari for the new (old) caravan but the van is heading towards 3.5t with the corresponding drawbar weight. Now here in NZ we do not see many of the Hayman Reece style towbars for these generation Patrol & the most common brand that I have seen is Bestbars. The plate on the bar says 2300kg braked for the 4.2d & a crazy 80kg drawbar weight though it does say a load leveller can be used to offset that.

I have spoken to Bestbars to see if the weight limits still apply (incase something has changed since the bar was fitted) & no it is still the same & they say they manufacture oem bars here & the limitations are specified by Nissan but could not confirm in this case as the vehicle is too old.

I have spoken to other towbar manufacturers & it appears they have higher weights for towing (3500kg) but still the 80kg drawbar weight. I would prefer not to be shelling out money for a new bar unless the bar I have is not strong enough.

I would like to know what does Nissan specify for towing capacity for a 1998 lwb auto 4.2td Y61 Patrol/Safari - anyone know? I thought that I had found a reference to it here somewhere that it is 3500kg. I do not have an owners manual nor is there a placard on the vehicle that I can see.

An electronic copy of the owners manual would be great - does anyone know where one is?

Also load levellers (aka weight distribution hitches) are not too common in NZ. I would like to freight a Hayman Reece WDH from Oz but the freight price would probably kill it & then I would also need to change the towbar to a HR style one.

Thanks,
Shane

wechosethegoodlife
3rd January 2013, 09:16 AM
Just found a copy of the owners manual & was surprised that I could download before I have reached my 25 posts - oh well that is good for me:)

According to the manual the towing capacity for Australia will be 3500kg - so that is what some others have also said.

I will go back to the towbar manufacture with that information and see what they say.