PDA

View Full Version : Wiring problem - melted fuse. Can I re-do wiring loom?

GU_Nemesis
29th December 2012, 10:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Just finished installing a new UHF radio and a stereo head unit in my 93 GQ TD42. After doing all the wiring etc, everything worked fine however after screwing all the dash surround back in place I could smell something burning from in behind. I immediately disconnected the battery terminal and it stopped but when I took the dash out again I noticed that a heap of wires had melted the plastic off them and were down to bare metal wire! I spent ages re-covering and re-insulating everything as best I could, but on further investigation I also noticed that the fuse in the fuse box for the cigarette lighter plug had completely melted as well! It appears that there was a problem from the previous owner who had wired up the cigarette plug but hadn't insulated the wires. I didn't notice the slightly stripped and worn wire until it obviously shorted out on the metal inside my dash and proceeded to burn everything else with it. So I am now without 12v power from that plug and can't run my GPS etc at the moment.

I am still wanting to do up this truck and was wondering if it is possible to get the whole thing (loom etc) re wired properly. Is this a massive job that would cost heaps for someone to do? I want to eventually do a dual battery system etc and want the wiring in good condition as I am a bit concerned with how the previous owner has wired some things up. And the last thing I want is for my much loved truck to go up in flames! I was lucky to catch this problem at the time otherwise my whole truck could have gone up in smoke.

Can anyone give me any feedback on this? I have big plans for this truck but want everything done properly. Anyone know what would be involved and how much I'd be looking at?

Cheers,

Scotty

Yendor
29th December 2012, 10:56 PM
Has the wire harness burnt from the cigarette lighter plug all the way back to the fuse box or did the end just catch on fire and burn the other wires?

Is it the original cigarette lighter and original wires or has an aftermarket one been fitted and wiring run back to the fuse box?

Are you able to post up any photos of the damage.

If the original harness has melted all the way back to the fuse box, you will at least need to cut open the harness and replace this wire and inspect others for damage and repair them if necessary.

Depending on how bad the fuse box is I would just replace the cigarette lighter fuse with a suitable inline fuse holder.

It's not normally required for the whole loom to be rewired but that's up to you.

WYLD333
30th December 2012, 09:36 AM
Id b going dwn the path of putting a new loom in if u can mate, uve had a heap of heat in that loom by the sounds of it so who knows how good all the rest of the wiring will be. Id b only doing this 2 limit future breakdowns, if ur not too fussed about this then just cut n shut the loom n repair where required.