PDA

View Full Version : Right hand tail light not working

Kano
28th December 2012, 03:45 PM
Hi, I was hoping I could get some help with a tail light problem. I have a GU 1999 2.8 Litre Nissan patrol. The left tail light works fine but the right tail light wont come on. Ive switched the bulbs and the right works on the left side so i've ruled it out being the bulb.
All the wiring around the light looks fine to me.

Is there anywhere else that I should be looking to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SupRob
28th December 2012, 03:48 PM
On my 2001 GU, it has tail lights, however no bulbs or wiring lol, Nissan got abit cheap. Lefthand side reverse light only, then the bottom bar lights.

threedogs
28th December 2012, 03:49 PM
May have removed the lead off globe try new globe or emery globe socket

Kano
28th December 2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks threedogs I might replace the socket and see how that goes

WYLD333
28th December 2012, 04:45 PM
Id say you have a loose earth wire on the back of your socket, cheak all wiring running to the rear of the lights. If the earth has come loose stick it threw the socket and then put a bit of solder in it

Kano
28th December 2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your reply WYLD333, I just checked the earth wire on the back and its all connected and the main two wires into the socket are fine to. Think thats as far as my mechanic skills go haha.

Benno7
28th December 2012, 06:28 PM
I had a similar problem with my GQ it ended up being the dam scotch locks for the trailer plug.
Just worth checking first.

Kano
28th December 2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks Benno7 Ill go and take a look

WYLD333
28th December 2012, 08:03 PM
It might be time to get the multimeter out to see whats going on then easy to eliminate from there

Yendor
29th December 2012, 04:35 PM
With a test light check you have power (park lights on) in the Blue with a Black trace wire at the connector at the back of the RHR tail light.

If you have a genuine trailer plug fitted there will also be an extension harness plugged into this connector, so you will need to check for power going into the plug and power coming out.

If there is no power at this connector, the next plug is under the LHF seat.

Kano
29th December 2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks Yendor, I just checked power at the connector (park lights on) and I had no reading. Ill check the plug under the LHF seat. Thanks for your advice

Yendor
29th December 2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks Yendor, I just checked power at the connector (park lights on) and I had no reading. Ill check the plug under the LHF seat. Thanks for your advice

This connector is found directly below the LHF seat under the vehicle mounted to the chassis rail.

It is under a black plastic cover and is mounted on the outside rail.

If you get under the vehicle you will see the two wires harness running behind the black plastic cover.

From memory there a 3 connectors there. I will try and find a photo for you.

There should also be two Blue with a Black trace wires (one for the RHS tail and one for the LHS tail light) you will need to make sure you have power in both.

Yendor
29th December 2012, 08:16 PM
OK....my little black book tells me that connector C1 should be a black connector with 8 pins

If you look at the bottom of the wiring diagram, second connector along you will see the 8 pin connector

Pin 1 RHS tail light
Pin 5 LHS tail light

These pins should have the Blue with Black trace wires, the main one you are interested in is pin 1.

Does this have power going in and out of the connector?

Kano
3rd January 2013, 12:47 PM
Sorry Yendor had to go to Kalgoorlie for work. Back trying to fix the patrol today. Thank you very much for sending the diagram and explaining about the wires.

jhon
3rd January 2013, 04:55 PM
There are some issue from ignition switch and some time this is not working in winter season.You want to used the lead off globe try new globe or emery globe socket and get good result.I hope you will not any problem from tail light......

happygu
3rd January 2013, 06:34 PM
Best thing is to check it with a test lamp or multimeter, otherwise you will be just guessing.....

Rustyboner81
5th January 2013, 05:11 PM
can you wiggle the globe in the socket? if you can squeeze it a little so it hugs the globe tighter as its the socket itself that supplies the ground for the globe....i just did tjus with an indicator on my Q

and yes test lamps are golden here

Kano
6th January 2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. The tail light is now fixed. The blue/black wire was broken as it went into the trailer connection socket.

threedogs
6th January 2013, 09:05 PM
If you whack the lens and the lights come on replace the globes.. as over time corrigations wears the lead off the back off the globe. Just replace.Also check for scotch locs.

Yendor
6th January 2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. The tail light is now fixed. The blue/black wire was broken as it went into the trailer connection socket.

Good job on finding and fixing the problem.

Rustyboner81
6th January 2013, 09:29 PM
sweet
lucky its not like my truck where the red wires connected to the blue wire, the blue wires connected to the yellow wire lol

Yendor
6th January 2013, 09:32 PM
sweet
lucky its not like my truck where the red wires connected to the blue wire, the blue wires connected to the yellow wire lol

Could be worse, they could all be white wires.

WYLD333
6th January 2013, 11:18 PM
Well done m8 u got there, thanx for posting up what the issue was always good to get that sort of feedback

WYLD333
6th January 2013, 11:19 PM
sweet

Hahaha lmao