PDA

View Full Version : Engine Number

Rosscoe
27th December 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi sorry if this has been asked before but have searched and couldnt find anything, how do you determine the build date of a Patrol 4.2 engine in a GQ, my son has one (non Turbo Black Top) but he is not sure if it is the original engine for that car or whether it is a GQ, GU 4.2, thank you for reading and sorry if this has been answered before, not as computer savvy as I would like to be.

Rosscoe

Bigrig
27th December 2012, 03:39 PM
Either a build tag on the front upper cross mount under the bonnet (the one the radiator connects to), or on the compliance plate ... not sure if that applies to the engine specifically but if original, the date would be close ... wouldn't it?? Or am I about to learn something new??

I'm excited!! lol

Anyone assist with this??

Rosscoe
27th December 2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks bigrig, it is an 89 GQ, it has had a Turbo on it, not now though, and he is just curious more than anything to know if the engine is original for this car. The engine number starts with Td42 which is a good thing lol.
It ends in a33 he thinks as the "a" is scratched and is a little difficult to read. I have the full number if it helps?

nissannewby
27th December 2012, 03:50 PM
The compliance plate will have the engine it was originally equipped with. That's not to say that it hasn't had an engine change. Where abouts are you located?

Rosscoe
27th December 2012, 05:10 PM
Hi, nissannewby, I am in QLD and my son is in NSW, yeah mate that was what he wanted to find out, whether it has been replaced, it is a Td 4.2 black top in a 1989 GQ he has been told that the black Tops werent released in the GQ's til the 90's, but we are just not sure. Thank you for replying.

nissannewby
27th December 2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah I think it was post 91 the black tops started to show up. Is it possible its had a rebuild and someone has painted it black? Maybe trying scuffing it back. Does it have a vac pump on the alternator?

Rosscoe
28th December 2012, 01:51 PM
Hi nissannewby, just checked with my son and he has told me that it does in fact have vac pump on the aternator, that makes it a silver top doesnt it??????????

Thanks heaps for your replies mate, always get good response from this site....

nissannewby
28th December 2012, 02:33 PM
It's an earlier black top at least. The later ones had a vac pump driven off the engine. It all starts to get a bit unclear from here. Maybe you could try Nissan with the vin and see if they can tell you what the engine number was in it originally. Sometimes your engine number will be on the rego as well maybe check and see I they match.

Rosscoe
28th December 2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks mate will pass this on to my son, seems very confusing to me lol

johno90
2nd January 2013, 07:06 PM
if there isnt td42######t then its not factory turbo, and if it is a black top then it wasnt the original motor out of your gq. sounds like you have a 92-95 motor.