PDA

View Full Version : Warning light on Gravel

the godfather
24th December 2012, 08:35 PM
Hi All and merry Christmas.
Just a quick one. My warning light has started coming on when ever I go on gravel.
Any ideas as to what that is?
I assume a lose wire?

Winnie
24th December 2012, 08:36 PM
Which warning light?

Yendor
24th December 2012, 09:00 PM
I reckon it's the door open warning light.

WYLD333
24th December 2012, 09:24 PM
I reckon it's the door open warning light.

X2 mine has done this before

the evil twin
24th December 2012, 09:36 PM
X 3 ... purely as a guess because it's such a common problem.

Usually one of the barn door switches but in mine it was the left rear pax door. A small piece of fridge magnet about 10 cent piece size cut out and placed on the door where the switch actuator touches fixes pax doors.

Barn door switches can be very fiddly and a PIA to get right tho.

AB
25th December 2012, 07:24 AM
x 4 as well....The work car GU flickers on/off on dirt roads.

the godfather
25th December 2012, 08:46 PM
Sorry. I was tired. The engine warning light.

the evil twin
25th December 2012, 11:18 PM
Sorry. I was tired. The engine warning light.

Wow... haven't heard of that before... what engine?... ZD, Td, Petty?

My understanding is that, if genuine, the light should latch on until the fault codes is cleared or ignition cycled (depending on circumstances). If it flickers and only on gravel I'd be suspicious of a dodgy wire but others on here may know more...

Maxhead
26th December 2012, 07:46 AM
It sounds like a loose wire/connector. Does it happen on tar road when you hit a bump or a hole???

growler2058
26th December 2012, 07:58 AM
Sounds like its time to upgrade to a GQ ;)

Merry Tapped Out Xmas

Yendor
26th December 2012, 08:36 AM
If it's a diesel I would start by draining/replacing the fuel filter.

If there is no water, disconnect the sensor from the bottom of the fuel filter and go for a test drive.

If the light doesn't come back on with the sensor disconnected you might have a faulty sensor.

Morton
26th December 2012, 08:45 AM
loose wire/fuse, had the exact same issue some years back, not sure what the guy did to fix it but it was a little annoying at the time, I think it was something to the internal fuses, maybe a dodgy fuse, dont quote me though, I am terrible with electrics & my eyes glaze over when anyone talks about electrics but I do remember it was a simple fix

the godfather
26th December 2012, 08:27 PM
It happens only when on the gravel. The motor is a ZD30. Once I get on the tar and turn the car off then on again it goes away. It isn't effecting the running as far as I can feel or tell. y main worry is I use my car off road and remote more than most people would. I rely on my gauges for when there is an issue. If it is on for no reason then I have no warnings for actual and real problems.

I will drain the fuel filter in case there is some water in it. Maybe the vibration on a gravel road is mixing the water in the filter and causing the issue. Who knows. I will also check the wires to the sensor.

the godfather
25th January 2013, 06:36 PM
Well, I have changed the fuel filter and it appears that the issue has gone away. In saying that I haven't hit any rough roads yet. I will hit the gravel this weekend an see how it goes.

threedogs
25th January 2013, 07:18 PM
Wow 4 weeks in between answers not in a great rush to sort it out I take it. lol
Good to hear hopefully the problem is solved

the godfather
26th January 2013, 03:47 PM
Wow 4 weeks in between answers not in a great rush to sort it out I take it. lol
Good to hear hopefully the problem is solved

No, it wasn't a big issue. And I am West Australian. WAIT AWHILE

Yendor
26th January 2013, 03:51 PM
Was there any water in the old filter?

Hopefully this has sorted your problem.

the godfather
29th January 2013, 11:15 PM
The wasn't any water in the filter, but a fair bit of black gummy crap. Appears no warning light yet. Time will tell.