PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Kenya - Africa

Chui
23rd November 2010, 08:55 PM
Greetings.
I am from Kenya (East Africa) - For those of you who have no idea - We produce some of the greatest long distance runners ever, we have the annual wildebeest migration (one of the 7 wonders of the world) and we are known for our wildlife, beaches, tea, coffee, cut flowers and athletes (and more recently the exploits of our 7's rugby team - dont think we beaten Australia yet lol).
Anyways after having used a Toyota landcruiser for almost 8 years the time to change has now come, coupled with the fact that I had no alternative other than to sell the old cruiser. I have always been a fan of Nissan ever since the days of the East African Safari rally when my dad used to race them datsun 240z'. Currently im seriously thinking about a Patrol.
(P.S i work within the Tourism sector as a consultant / advisor. I also run a conservation organization www.sportingconservation.org hence most of my time is out in the bundus (our local slang for your 'outback').)

You see here in Kenya (being a former british colony) the most acceptable and frequently used vehicle is the Landrover - and this place is full of them. I drove one for two years (company car) when working in the bush and never really did enjoy it.
With several UN agencies set up in Kenya there has been in recent years a huge influx of Toyota Landcruisers (we have a plant here that assembles the kdk's). Coupled with our booming tourism sector the HZJ series is king. Unfortunately the cruisers are damn expensive and getting a used one makes no economic sense as the prices are too high.
So the economy is left with the locally assembled Pajero's, Patrols, Russian UAZ's, chinese fotons and the like and then the 1000's of japanese imports from prados to IO's to Ssany Yung to Mahindra jeeps.
Thats just some history.
Now I have my eye on a particular Nissan Patrol - Its a Y60 - 1994 model - 4.2Diesel engine - Safari Wagon I presume - its 5 door but with the 'highish' roof. Not the standard patrol roof.
Thing is I have no idea or inkling about Patrol's hence the reason for joining this forum. I do hope that you will be able to assist me where needed.
Cheers

AB
23rd November 2010, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Chui, great introduction mate, well done!

With fear of being abused by other members here the land rovers are a good reliable car but what your looking at now I promise will not dissapoint you!

Feel free to ask any questions, join in the conversations and please, we would love to see any pictures you have of your area in the 4x4 photos section. We like photos here so even just your landscape photos would be great to see!

Enjoy!

Woof
23rd November 2010, 09:08 PM
Welcome Chui, go the 4.2 diesel mate, I had one of the Safari hi top roof models and loved it but due to being an import parts were hard to find and bloody expensive, so check out the availability of spares first.
Enjoy the forum and ask as many questions you like, there are a lot of very knowledgeable members here.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd November 2010, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Chui,

Very nice bunch of guys / girlsw on here always willing to help out where they can.

Great introduction mate, getting a Patrol definitely won't disappoint you

Enjoy the forum

Cheers

Todd

patch697
23rd November 2010, 09:21 PM
Welcome on board & I hope you enjoy the forum.

Glad to see your jumping ship too, Patrols are one reliable & very capable 4x4. We use them as Toyota Landcruiser recovery vehicles here in Australia......lolol

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 09:52 PM
welcome aboard hope you enjoy

DX grunt
23rd November 2010, 10:08 PM
Great conversion. Lots to talk and read about.

Take care out there.'

Ross
DX grunt

Chui
23rd November 2010, 10:58 PM
cheers people - very welcoming..
will get the photos and research into action and then we can move forward from there...

the ferret
23rd November 2010, 11:34 PM
By golly we could use some of your great runners, to catch the spotlight bandits!!

Finly Owner
23rd November 2010, 11:40 PM
hi and welcome to nissans nut house

Maxhead
24th November 2010, 08:50 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum