PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery system for 2.8, Advice needed

fracster
23rd December 2012, 04:40 AM
I`m putting a dual battery system in my 2.8 to power my fridge and other bits when i`m out and about doing my photo stuff. After a bit of searching, both of the above companies supply complete kits.

I like the idea of the panel that RV do, but other than that, which is the better company to deal with?

Both Aussie companies, so thought I would ask on here.

Jock
23rd December 2012, 04:53 AM
RV Tec are a Brisbane based Co. ARB have stores Austalia wide and export WW. If either have what you want, go for it.

I use ARB because there is a store near where I live and they have a good reputation.

Merry Xmas and best wishes for 2013

Jock

fracster
23rd December 2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks fella,we have an ARB stockist over here, but no battery kit on thier website, just dropped them an email.

The RV one is quite hefty on the shipping cost, but it is coming a far way so I can understand that.

Are these made in Aus or just shipped from Aus after being made in China?

threedogs
23rd December 2012, 08:06 AM
Search out the Redarc dual battery system, Aussie made ,maybe only half the price too.
Great product IMO

mudski
23rd December 2012, 08:32 AM
Search out the Redarc dual battery system, Aussie made ,maybe only half the price too.
Great product IMO

I agree with TD. I have a Redarc system in my GU and it seems to work really well.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd December 2012, 12:30 PM
I too went with an ARB for my dual battery system.

Morton
23rd December 2012, 08:24 PM
<<<< ARB aswell, any failure & I can get it fixed almost anywhere including ARB shops, I am not electrically minded at all

fracster
23rd December 2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the help again guys, will check them all out and decide after the holidays.

fracster
2nd January 2013, 12:13 AM
Quick update.

Spent hours looking on the web and measuring spaces in the engine bay. Now unless my GR is different to your GUs under the bonnet, there is no way a second battery will fit in there without moving heaps and I mean heaps of stuff about. I read the thread on here about it, but things don`t stack up.

I`ll post some pics when i`m doing it. Post them up in members rides or somewhere.

So, having had a good think about when and how i`m going to use the second battery,I decided to go down the removeable one in the boot. Got the wiring and relays sorted, I have sourced a carry out battery box in the UK.

Can`t fit it yet until I make and fit my drawer system.

To all you guys who have posted pics of your mods and diy stuff, thanks, you have given me loads of ideas and been a great help.

fracster
6th January 2013, 03:46 AM
All this lot needs moving around and relocating to get the new tray and battery in the passenger side of the engine bay.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Fracster/Nissan%20patrol/DualBatteries_4126_zpseb715c83.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Fracster/Nissan%20patrol/DualBatteries_4127_zps8b1f8f22.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Fracster/Nissan%20patrol/DualBatteries_4128_zps24964e4b.jpg

So the battery is going in the boot inside one of these,i`ll secure it to the drawer system once I have made them.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Fracster/Nissan%20patrol/DualBatteries_4129_zps8b1bcab0.jpg

MudRunnerTD
6th January 2013, 10:37 AM
Hi mate,

I have changed your title to see if we can get you some more advice.

Are there any 2.8 owners out there with a pic of under their bonnet with a Dual Battery system setup???

Please post a pic for reference for this International Member.

Cheers MR

MudRunnerTD
6th January 2013, 10:41 AM
I reckon you'd only have to move the Vacuum Canister at worst??? if that is the case then that is very very simple and i would not hesitate to mount that elsewhere and run new hose to it. Hose is easy to get and easy to run.

Lets see if we can get you some pics of others with a 2.8

I have moved your thread to the Electrical section to for some of those guys to set you straight. Yendor would be a good start here or Fletch.

Cheers MR

Yendor
6th January 2013, 12:29 PM
The second battery on the 2.8 normally mounts between the original battery and the firewall.

Going by the photo yours has no room there due to the ABS unit.

MudRunnerTD
6th January 2013, 12:35 PM
So he is on the right track mounting it in the back Rodney?

Cheers Darren

Yendor
6th January 2013, 01:03 PM
It doesn't look like there is any room to fit a decent sized battery under the bonnet.

I personally don't like fitting batteries inside vehicles but sometimes you have no choice.

I just had a look at the Piranha website and even theirs won't fit a vehicle with ABS.

fracster
6th January 2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks Darren and Yendor,I really cannot see a battery of any decent size fitting in there without moving loads of stuff about.

Plus if I put it in the boot and use Anderson connecters I can move it about between vehicles if needs be.

Sir Roofy
6th January 2013, 05:56 PM
thanks darren and yendor,i really cannot see a battery of any decent size fitting in there without moving loads of stuff about.

Plus if i put it in the boot and use anderson connecters i can move it about between vehicles if needs be.

here ya go mate no need to put it in the boot
in the search area top r/h corner type in timbo
then go to page six and look for installing dual batery in 2.8
lots of pics and instructions on how to do it
best of luck with it

fracster
7th January 2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks for that Roofy,I had bookmarked that thread and looked long and hard at it.

Mine is different, I assume that Timbos is a non ABS or your Aussie ones are different to ours, cos I have heaps more pipes and stuff in that corner of the engine bay.

trekster
7th January 2013, 06:52 AM
Just out of interest can you post a complete engine bay pic? My GU had a dual battery setup in it but was taken out before the sale to me, But I have a shite load of from on the left side to fit a tray.

Sir Roofy
7th January 2013, 07:09 AM
just out of interest can you post a complete engine bay pic? My gu had a dual battery setup in it but was taken out before the sale to me, but i have a shite load of from on the left side to fit a tray.

hi trekster not sure if your question was for me
but if you look up timbo,s thread theres pics on there

cheers

MudRunnerTD
7th January 2013, 09:45 AM
hi trekster not sure if your question was for me
but if you look up timbo,s thread theres pics on there

cheers

Hey Roofy can you post a link to Timbos Build here mate please mate i cant seem to find it.

Cheers MR

Sir Roofy
7th January 2013, 10:37 AM
Its up and is a sticky

Guide-Installing-a-Dual-Battery-system-(2.8td)-Lots-of-pics! (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3638-Guide-Installing-a-Dual-Battery-system-(2.8td)-Lots-of-pics!)

fracster
7th January 2013, 12:27 PM
Will do Trekster, assuming you mean mine.

trekster
7th January 2013, 09:44 PM
Will do Trekster, assuming you mean mine.

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing an o/s models bay! Might be some clever things that we don't have!

fracster
8th January 2013, 03:09 AM
It`ll be weekend fella, it is dark when I finish work and dark when I get out of bed over here in the lovely sunny UK.