PDA

View Full Version : after market temp guage y61 4.2td

teza04
22nd December 2012, 12:33 PM
anyone know what temp y60 4.2td running water temp should roughly be.
just fitted an after market saas water temp guage and the sender i received with it would not fit
so connected to the original sensor and went for a drive guage went up to 102 degrees
when i reconnected old guage sat on about 1/2 way as per normal
any ideas

nissannewby
22nd December 2012, 01:26 PM
100 is getting warm. generally 70-90 is about normal. The thermostats are normally around the 76 mark.

ChrisN
25th December 2012, 09:44 PM
Depends where you measure it. I have a supplementary VDO gauge with the sensor in a fitting in the top radiator hose.
Easy running in cool weather = 70 degrees.
Uphill on the highway with trailer = 90.
Low range 4wd climbs with with a tailwind can see it climb to 120 or higher.

The sensor should be matched to the particular gauge, shouldn't it? Perhaps the SAAS gauge isn't giving a true reading for the original sensor.

teza04
29th December 2012, 10:29 AM
Hi guys, the sensor I got with the guage doesn't fit and trying to get an adaptor to make it fit is difficult as our local auto pro doesn't have a listing for it, I connected the saas guage to the old sender unit which was in there originally and it's giving me readings over 100degrees yet when I connect the original in dash guage sits on half way as per normal. The reason I was trying an after market guage is when towing our van or driving into a hot northerly the original guage climbs quickly but if you easy off the accelerator it drops just as quick. Reading other forum comments I take it the y60 / gu patrol in dash guage is not very accurate.

Xfactor
30th December 2012, 07:04 PM
I use an engine watchdog from fleebay $149, 3 wires and can set the alarm for the high temp warning buzzer - very happy with it

cvando
29th September 2013, 09:19 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but iv recently replaced my temp sender as well because the old one was faulty and I have an aftermarket guage that came with a sender but the thread was wrong. So iv put a replacement standard one in and I get a temp reading of mid 90s. I have a triple core radiator and a genuine thermostat. Is this just a calibration issue? Should I get an adaptor to suit the sender I got with the guage?

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2013, 09:42 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but iv recently replaced my temp sender as well because the old one was faulty and I have an aftermarket guage that came with a sender but the thread was wrong. So iv put a replacement standard one in and I get a temp reading of mid 90s. I have a triple core radiator and a genuine thermostat. Is this just a calibration issue? Should I get an adaptor to suit the sender I got with the guage?

Yes you should use the sender that suits your gauge.

cvando
29th September 2013, 10:08 PM
Adaptor shopping this week it is then thanks mud runner

macca
1st October 2013, 03:47 PM
This is what I did, bought an adaptor from SpeedFlow, you would need to know the threads.
As they are in Taree I took the bits in and they matched them for me.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34462&d=1379662967

4Bee
11th July 2016, 09:24 AM
This is what I did, bought an adaptor from SpeedFlow, you would need to know the threads.
As they are in Taree I took the bits in and they matched them for me.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34462&d=1379662967

Hi Macca . . . waaaaayyyyy old thread, but if you can cast your mind back, was the Speedflow adaptor you bought a 12mm 1.25 pitch to go into that hole on the thermostat housing? or did you have to drill and tap it?
Thanks mate
Simon

NissanGQ4.2
11th July 2016, 07:06 PM
Thread bump 4 4bee as his post went into moderation

macca

macca
11th July 2016, 09:57 PM
Hi Macca . . . waaaaayyyyy old thread, but if you can cast your mind back, was the Speedflow adaptor you bought a 12mm 1.25 pitch to go into that hole on the thermostat housing? or did you have to drill and tap it?
Thanks mate
Simon

Sorry mate just got the notification to let me know there had been a quoted reply.

As for your question I have no idea, unfortunately the part that came out is buried in the Trol ready for an extended trip. Carry it as a repair if the sender fails / leaks.

Think Cuppa did something like this so he might be able to help.

Cuppa
12th July 2016, 08:13 AM
Hi, yes I copied Macca with the Speedflow adaptor. It screwed straight in with no need for any drilling & tapping. Easy & convenient. It was 12.mm x 1.5 pitch. See pic below for part no. In normal use my coolant temp reads 80 degrees, rising to 90 degrees in hotter weather & under load.

4Bee
12th August 2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks Macca & Cuppa,
I did eventually get one of those same adaptors, but had to run a tap through the hole to get it to screw in . . .
All good though, its working like a champion now ;)
I see my previous post went into moderation? what's that all about?
thanks again
Simon

Rip'n'Shred
3rd September 2016, 08:32 AM
Hi, yes I copied Macca with the Speedflow adaptor. It screwed straight in with no need for any drilling & tapping. Easy & convenient. It was 12.mm x 1.5 pitch. See pic below for part no. In normal use my coolant temp reads 80 degrees, rising to 90 degrees in hotter weather & under load.

Cuppa, is that adaptor with the redarc 1/8" temperature sender? Fit ok? Does the probe stick out of adaptor far enough to reach coolant?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cuppa
3rd September 2016, 02:06 PM
Cuppa, is that adaptor with the redarc 1/8" temperature sender? Fit ok? Does the probe stick out of adaptor far enough to reach coolant?

Hi Rip, Yes it's with the redarc sender. Fitted & works perfectly.