PDA

View Full Version : radiator problem

kegan
20th December 2012, 07:06 PM
carrying out valve clearances on my GU 4.5 97model auto leaning over the top of the radiator and snapped a fitting to the top of the radiator and to the right of the radiator cap - clean off allowing coolant to pass through, not sure what this fitting actually does, there is no hose attached - I have inserted a self tapper screw which has stopped the coolant, ran the engine with no leaks, would appreciate any knowlege as to what the purpose of the fitting is.
Cheers

93patrol
20th December 2012, 07:16 PM
might be your overflow nozzle that normally goes to your overflow bottle cant be sure with out pics. Is there a small 8mm or so hose that comes out from under your radiator to a clearish plastic bottle? there should be one there some people used to take them off in the old days because it perished and never replace it

happygu
20th December 2012, 10:00 PM
You are not the first to have done this.......

I have read of at least a couple of others that have done the same thing ( with the same fix )

Mic

Bigrig
20th December 2012, 10:11 PM
Of its the one on the radiator filler neck, then it should have a 8mm pipe running to the overflow bottle ... photo would be good to assist mate.

threedogs
21st December 2012, 05:55 AM
Just use a brass 1/4 bsp to 8mm hose fitting, some tape and RTV and all fixed, cant find pic,
but will take another for here. not 100% on that size.