PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Front Wheel

rodgordodger
19th December 2012, 09:44 AM
Hi all,
My 1995 4.2efi patrol has developed a squeaking noise from the front r/h wheel.upon taking tyre off ground there is no excessive movement up or down as has been recommonded to check.the shaft have engaging 4wd has some play so wondering if this could be it as yesterday after checking and putting everything back together that it seemed that shaft had moved into wheel hub a tried to engage 4wd as well as started to pull to the right.at this point there was a clunk and no longer pulling to right but wheel still squeaking.someone suggested brakes which i will pull apart and look at but a visual inspection when wheel was off looked ok.Anybody out there that has had a similar problem or is able to point me in the right direction would be greatly helpful.

boots
19th December 2012, 09:54 AM
Yes remove brake caliper and ensure that it moves freely on the slide pins ,may need to be pulled apart and greased . also inspect pads while your there - they may have glazed which will cause a squeel . replace or scuff back with sandpaper . Your rotors may need some attention also if this is the case . goodluck .

MudRunnerTD
19th December 2012, 11:08 AM
Squeak????

More info please?

Is this a noise you hear when driving? fast or slow? Turning or straight? Only on Take off? It could be soo many things... Is is a constant Squeak Squeak Squeak as you drive of just a single squeak at the start???

Sooooo many things? Its a Squeak ;)

rodgordodger
19th December 2012, 11:38 AM
cheers boots i will give that a go.
Madrunner is more as speed builds up and when you turn a l/h corner it will disappear.have checked for plat for wheel bearings but all seem ok.this problem has only just reared its ugly head after having the clutch done but am most certain is to do with bearings or brakes but any advice on problem would be great.

threedogs
19th December 2012, 11:46 AM
X 2 with Boots on this one put a calipher kit through it making sure pistons move in and out freely
Fresh pads and give the discs a quick grind as well

rodgordodger
24th December 2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks to all for their advice and expertise was both a bearing and caliper kit required but job nearly complete