PDA

View Full Version : 92 gq patrol petrol issues

Kermy79
18th December 2012, 12:48 PM
hey all i have a 92 gq patrol it was on gas and petrol but is now only on petrol it has the long range belly tank in it and im pretty sure the fuel pump has stopped working but i cannot locate where it is or any fuse to check any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers

Kermy79
18th December 2012, 01:04 PM
just a update got the fuel pump working but the car still wont run i have fuel and spark

threedogs
18th December 2012, 01:06 PM
Sounds weird if you have fuel and spark, ???

Kermy79
18th December 2012, 01:35 PM
yes it is i was goin up hill at time of break started losing power then had none and was idling at round 200 now it wont start

Kermy79
18th December 2012, 02:09 PM
anyone got any ideas? its got me stumped :-(

KL570
18th December 2012, 02:37 PM
did it make a sound? something breaking?

KL570
18th December 2012, 02:39 PM
where did you check fuel n spark?

test each lead individually at the spark contact point in the head?

is the carby actually squirting fuel? anything inside it broken?

Kermy79
18th December 2012, 02:47 PM
its a efi checked fuel at fuel rail and pulled spark plugs out can smell fuel in all chambers have tested all leads with spark plugs plugged in there all good checked rotor and dizzy cap there all good
im running out of ideas.
didnt hear anything break

Bob
18th December 2012, 02:52 PM
Check all of your Wiring Loom that it has not worn through and is shorting out on Body as your EFI might not be firing

threedogs
18th December 2012, 03:30 PM
Checked all vacuum hoses are on and not split or brittle

KL570
18th December 2012, 07:27 PM
sure it's not a Toyota engine? :D

Morton
18th December 2012, 09:14 PM
still sounds like its electrical,could be ur dizzy playig up, put another dizzy in, set it up correctly & try again

Morton
18th December 2012, 09:16 PM
where r u from, someone might live near you

Robo
19th December 2012, 04:22 AM
If its gen fuel tank isn't the pump in the tank.
Going up hill, and lose power could mean blocked up fuel filter.

what your describing could be a number of things.

Kermy79
19th December 2012, 10:27 AM
Hey all i live near maitland. the fuel pumps not pumping now. Its beyond me fixing it ive tryed all i know. if someone wanta to come out and see if they can fix willing to pay them

Rip'n'Shred
19th December 2012, 12:52 PM
I would imagine the pump is inside the tank. Sounds very suspect. I'm not sure about on a GQ but there may be an access panel in cargo area to gain access to fuel pump.

Even if you checked fuel at rail, the fuel pump may not be providing enough pressure to the injectors. EFI runs at high pressure.

It's not uncommon for lpg cars to rarely use petrol so therefore the pump doesn't last long when they are eventually switched back to petrol. May also have contaminated fuel in tank.

Try to remove pump and look inside tank. Have a little smell too. Compare the smell to fresh fuel. Goes stale pretty quick. Watch for rust and water and remember fuel explodes, be careful.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Kermy79
19th December 2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks i Assumed it was in tank but im pretty sure ita not there iare no power wires to tank its a belly tank

dom14
21st January 2013, 06:10 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbee. How do I post a new question/thread?
Thanks

MQ MAD
22nd January 2013, 10:43 AM
In the rear cargo area ,under the carpet or mats is a round plate screwed to the floor, undo that and theres acess to the fuel tank pump,well in standard tanks anyway,but check it out
When the pump gets power it should work,if it doesnt get a new pump ......
You can check the pump, turn the ignition on and youll hear it work,if you cant hear it ,its not getting power or stuffed
You can pull the fuel line of at the rear side of the filter, turn ignition on and check for fuel comin out , no fuel, pump issue
IF you have fuel there, reconnect then remove line forward of filter and go again, if you had fuel pre filter and not post filter, the filter is blocked
IF you have power to the pump, your getting fuel past the filter, then theres something else to check
The checks above wont take 15-20 mins to check
Thats the fuel side ,have you taken a plug out and checked theres spark at the plugs ???
Fuel in , spark happenin ,power where it needs to be it should run

Morton
22nd January 2013, 03:34 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbee. How do I post a new question/thread?
Thanks

Dom14, go back to where all the threads are & near the top right coener ir says "post a new thread", click on that

GreenGQ
22nd January 2013, 04:38 PM
Have you checked the MAF?

Joshshorty
26th January 2013, 09:08 AM
Check the crank angle sensor if it has one?

dom14
26th January 2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks. Yes, I worked it out
Cheers

Dom14, go back to where all the threads are & near the top right coener ir says "post a new thread", click on that

GreenGQ
26th January 2013, 03:04 PM
Wanna post what the problem was, it might help someone else in the future