PDA

View Full Version : Clutch booster Rebuild

KL570
18th December 2012, 12:33 PM
alright guys here's the rebuild I did on my clutch booster. cost me less than 100 and works as good as new!

step 1:

remove everything off front of booster and undo everything inside the firewall that is connected to the booster. should be 4 nuts holding it in place.

here's what you get:

1 stuffed booster

step 2: put booster into vice and clamp it with the 4 studs Inside and the main shaft pointing DOWN. don't squeeze the crap out of it, just enough to hold it in place and not move.

here's the fun part...

step 3: get a piece of square bar about 400-500mm long. drill 2 holes in it to slip over 2 diagonal opposing studs, make sure you've removed the little rubber seal and washer with a screwdriver and remove the shaft that goes into the master cylinder.

now use it as a massive breaker bar ad PUSH!!! will take a bit of muscle!! you need to rotate the top half until the little gaps line up and you can seperate the 2. THE 2 HALVES ARE SPRING LOADED. TAKE CARE SEPERATING!

here's what you get

pretty much, from here just replace all the corresponding parts.

make sure everything is clean before you out it back together, and paint the outside if you wish!

here's some more pics if they help!

and finished!!

any questions feel free to ask! I'll try an remember what I did haha

cheers,
Kade

KL570
18th December 2012, 12:38 PM
oh and this is the rebuild kit I used:

http://www.atocauto.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=30684_01J25

2 day delivery time!

cheers,
Kade

MudRunnerTD
18th December 2012, 12:41 PM
Outstanding work there bloke. I probably would have just chased a second hand one but your the man!! Nice one!

Would the Brake Booster be the same task? must be very similar?

KL570
18th December 2012, 12:44 PM
cheers mate!

yeah I got quoted 250, reasonable, but I was a poor student at the time Nd I freakin love doing stuff myself. learn more about stuff and how to properly diagnose problems this way :)

brake booster is exactly the same! just a bigger diaphragm really!

MudRunnerTD
18th December 2012, 12:45 PM
oh and this is the rebuild kit I used:

http://www.atocauto.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=30684_01J25

2 day delivery time!

cheers,
Kade

Great Store too mate! Nice find!

KL570
18th December 2012, 12:48 PM
thanks mate! was actually recommended by someone on this forum ages ago!

spektrum
18th December 2012, 12:52 PM
Good job.

My clutch booster has completely stopped working now. The brake booster is intermittent too, although could just be a lack of vacuum from the clutch booster leaks.

wildgu6
18th December 2012, 12:53 PM
Great write up Kade and pics to match.
Very understandable for a DIY.
Great work mate, cheers

TAP TAP TAP MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND A SAFE NEW YEAR TO COME

KL570
18th December 2012, 02:13 PM
Good job.

My clutch booster has completely stopped working now. The brake booster is intermittent too, although could just be a lack of vacuum from the clutch booster leaks.

if they're both not working and you're not losing fluid I'd be checking your vacuum pressure man. probs a leak somewhere!

KL570
18th December 2012, 02:14 PM
Great write up Kade and pics to match.
Very understandable for a DIY.
Great work mate, cheers

TAP TAP TAP MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND A SAFE NEW YEAR TO COME

cheers bud :)

Bloodyaussie
2nd July 2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks to this it helped with some questions I had but could not find on the web..

My clutch is the best it has ever felt and its like driving a brand new Nissan Micra the clutch pedal is that light.... and to top it off the whole rebuild went very smoothly.

Love it when a plan comes together !!!!!!!!!!

jimspenz
1st August 2014, 03:44 PM
1. It's easier than a dash-in heater core pull (what I was doing when I pulled the clutch pedal out), I didn't have too much trouble.
2. Yes, you have to pull the clutch pedal assembly, this takes a bit of force to get past a bit of loom under the instrument cluster (I pried the loom out of the way with a large screwdriver). If you have collected a good variety of sockets, extension bars, uni's and spanners it's just a matter of pulling everything out (under-dash trim and climate control ducting are the main things). I think I could pull it out just by undoing the two nuts beside the master cylinder in the engine bay and then the one bolt hiding up above the loom at the end of the bracket closest to the steering wheel, if you can't jiggle it out in one piece you can undo the four nuts holding the booster on the bracket and try to take them out separately.
3. Based on the photo from the product I linked on ATOC I would say yes, didn't pay much attention to it myself and don't have FAST.
4. I'm not sure, there probably is but finding genuine Z parts in Australia is difficult/costly while Patrols are everywhere. It may be worth while for you to ask around your local Z parts dealers to see if they have them.

Theblackbeast
17th August 2016, 07:20 PM
My brake booster was appearing not to work, through isolating the lines I found out that it was the clutch booster had a leak, blank that off and the brakes are sweet.

Kon
13th November 2019, 08:21 PM
Is this thread still alive?

Any chance of a more detailed instruction set on how to rebuild the clutch booster?

I don’t know where all the sponges etc go...
Mine were absolutely destroyed by the brake fluid that was leaking into the booster

Ndevu
10th December 2019, 03:51 AM
Will be nice to not have a sore leg in traffic again, thanks!