PDA

View Full Version : Fast indicaters

four play
17th December 2012, 08:07 PM
Hey guys i just wired up LED new lights to my new tray and the indicaters are running 100 mile an hour all the lights are working so im not sure what the go would be?

someone has said LEDs need a resister or something?

thanks

megatexture
17th December 2012, 08:10 PM
Chuck in one of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/NARVA-LED-Load-Resistor-12V-21W.aspx?pid=287170#Description

Make sure you mount it on metal as they get bloody hot

taslucas
17th December 2012, 08:13 PM
yeah im pretty sure leds need a resistor fitted to get them working. Thats all i know though! Very common to see racer boy cars with fast indicators after they've pimped the lights lol.

No doubt one of the more electric members will be here to help you out soon

altech
17th December 2012, 08:32 PM
Or a indicater relay for leds , plug in and play 3 pin , can't remember what type , but I got it from ebay $12 bucks , did the job

meh
17th December 2012, 08:36 PM
Ive been meaning to do mine aswell and from some research ive found these are a good way to fix it
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130719751230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the evil twin
17th December 2012, 08:54 PM
As mentioned above... Grab an LED spec flasher relay off Ebay (or wherever). I can't see the point of fitting LED's then wasting the time money and energy fitting resistors.

When you source the Relay make sure it is wired for a Nissan. The exact same form factor Relay (3 Pin 12 Volt) can come with the terminals reversed

hekarewe
17th December 2012, 09:01 PM
just through this into the mix i have led's on my camper and from time to time when i hook up my indecators go nuts to so would this be for the same reason and if so where do i mount the resitor????

gu8 patrol
17th December 2012, 09:09 PM
you need to connect a resistor,one goes to indicator power and other end gets earthed on body,fixes all problems $10.00,supercheapautos.

threedogs
17th December 2012, 10:06 PM
You'll need a 12v, 50 ohm resistor will put pic soon

megatexture
17th December 2012, 10:48 PM
just through this into the mix i have led's on my camper and from time to time when i hook up my indecators go nuts to so would this be for the same reason and if so where do i mount the resitor????

I've got led on my trailer but have no issues I just converted all internal and external lights to led's except the front left and right indicators on the car

stock patrol
17th December 2012, 11:09 PM
As mentioned above... Grab an LED spec flasher relay off Ebay (or wherever). I can't see the point of fitting LED's then wasting the time money and energy fitting resistors.

When you source the Relay make sure it is wired for a Nissan. The exact same form factor Relay (3 Pin 12 Volt) can come with the terminals reversed

LED lights require less power to to operate as most will know. The main thing as they draw less current the flasher can doesn't differenciate the difference between led and incandescent bulbs. It can be a total headf---k to get the right unit work. Been there done that with my linehaul truck and still working out the right flasher unit to work with LED lights. ( can be costly) but LED'S last a life time if looked after.

Clunk
17th December 2012, 11:32 PM
I'm sure I've seen LEDs on eBay which require no new flasher can/relays or resistors, wish I could remember what they're called....... Sorry to hard to find at the mo, will have another look when on the lappy.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Aldrich08
22nd December 2012, 03:29 AM
Yes its due to the relay because it helps the bulbs to tun of and on. You have faulty relay and need to replace it. Change it soon because may be the police will stop you and tell you about the indicators blinking speed.

MasterUWA
2nd January 2013, 03:41 AM
The reason it is flashing fast after changing to LED's is because the flashing rate of the old flasher unit changes with the load placed on it. Basically the LED's now fitted are using much less power than the old globes were and so the load on the flashing unit is a lot less and it flashes faster. If for some reason you put 100W globes in your indicator sockets then they would flash really slowly etc.

The easiest fix is to install a resistor across the electrical connections on the back of the LED's, this increases the load (Watts) across the wires and makes the flashing unit believe that the old globes are still installed. The value of the resistor selected will also then change the flashing rate.

Otherwise you can buy specific LED flashing units that are wired to have the flashing rate independent of the load on the unit. This is what was mentioned earlier in this post.
Hope that my explanation is understood.

Cheers,
Matt