PDA

View Full Version : more help needed please MK 2.8 Petrol Advice

audiman
17th December 2012, 09:21 AM
right got 3 quick questions i need some advice with

no 1 my mk 2.8 l28 petrol engine is still running rough did not make it up a normal road on a hill without it stalling

anyway does anyone know what the dizzy should be set to on idle before engine gets to top dead centre ( degree's or dwell angle)

second i am assuming that hte l28 has an inline fuel filter and that the fuel pump is a gravity fed electrical pump where is the fuel filter located

and thirdly the cold / hot air lever on the blowers is not conneted so althought the blower works i get no warm air in the cab which is not good in the current cold british climate is there an easy way to open the vent to let warm air in or how do i get the blower apart

thanks in advance for any adice

cheers

Lee

the ferret
17th December 2012, 11:57 AM
Hi Lee, in my book, Dwell angle at point gap= 0.5mm (0.020 in) 35 to 41 deg.
Points= 0.45 to 0.55 mm (0.018 to 0.022 in)

Robo
17th December 2012, 12:15 PM
A dirty carby will also cause you trouble power wise.
Plug gap-- .8--.9 mm.
Leads-- less than 30 000 ohm resistance.
Points-- .45 -- .55 mm.
Dwell -- 35 -- 41 deg.
Idle-- 650 rpm.
Timing-- 10 deg BTDC

can replace points with pertronic unit.
small electronic devise that does away with the points set and forget.
and simple to convert back if the need arises.

elec pump/s, located behind a cover just forward of rear wheel bolted to the chassie.
the elec fuel pumps should have inline filter beside/before them.
elec fuel pumps also have paper filters inside them to.
carby inlet fitting also has a gauze filter inside it.

sorry to hear that, its 30 + deg cel here these days, lol.
come down under, that'll warm ya up.
cheers

Robo
17th December 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Lee, in my book, Dwell angle at point gap= 0.5mm (0.020 in) 35 to 41 deg.
Points= 0.45 to 0.55 mm (0.018 to 0.022 in)

Sorry Ferret, I started to type info before you, went away, came back and duplicated yours by accident.

audiman
17th December 2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info ferret and robbo
yep it cold here most morning's truck is frozen solid and by the time i have defrosted the screen its frozen again then i can only push cold air onto the screen
umm move to Aus only downside is the truck wouldn't make it that far well not how its runs at present (lol)

a mate of mine who is a mechanic thinks it may be a timing out which does make sense and b fuel starvation which again makes sense on dizzy ony thing i have not replaced is condenser cant afford the electronic dizzy conversion at the moment but saving pennies for it guy who set it up before did it by eye
Its nots missing more hesitatiting and spluttering when under heavy load ok at low revs so on the flat runs okish
mate has got a timing light so we going to get timing spot on and i will order fuel filter and replace
if it still runs rough after that thencarb strip will be next again dont want to do unless its a last resort
cheers lee

the ferret
17th December 2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry Ferret, I started to type info before you, went away, came back and duplicated yours by accident.

Ha ha, No wuckers mate!!

the ferret
17th December 2012, 06:47 PM
G'day Lee.

I think by the sounds of it, you have a fuel supply problem, the pump, lines, or filters.
Float level could also be an issue.
Try taking the fuel line off at the carby and see what volume it's pumping.
Low fuel supply will also cause back fire as well..
Can you try another condensor ??? and check that the coil is also not getting too hot.
Cheers, the ferret.

audiman
18th December 2012, 05:21 PM
well got a condenser to go on which my mate will do when he checks timing my mechaically ability not great can do basic things dont want to risk condenser
I got a fuel filter on way so will fit that onc it turns up
truck has been a farm workhosre before i bought it so i think it had not had too much maintenance done on it and everything i have done so far has made it better so just a case of gettignt his issue sorted

once again many thanks for the help

cheers

Lee

MQ MAD
18th December 2012, 10:12 PM
Best to run 2 in line fuel filters
There getting old now ,so imagine the crud that could be in the tank
The factory filter will be before the electric pump, between tank and pump,directions are above somewhere,but i also run another filter in the engine bay,somewhere preferably away from the engine itself
One thing people have over looked, the L28s absolutely hate a near dead battery, they run like a hairy goat and wont pull the skin of a pudding
Check that ,make sure the battery has plenty of power
Id ensure that if the dizzy is at fault that it is diagnosed correctly before shelling out funds on a witch chase
A well set up points dizzy are fine, trust me my L28 sees 6,000 rpm regular ,i havent touched the points in over 3 years,even still has the leads,plugs in there for 3 years as well

Robo
19th December 2012, 04:07 AM
Is it a twin electrical pump or single pump set up?.
twin is in case 1 lets you down, that said they still need to be pumping correctly.
another thing check how smooth the advance plate movement is in dizzy.
if it feels notchy at all could need maintance, also possible cause of notchy feeling is the bearings can wear a indentation in the plates, and bind up the advance movement inside dizzy.
yeah I only mentioned pertronic incase you hate points and or FYI .
the old L28 is 1 of the most reliable, had 1 for yrs but the body let it down. bit like mine really, lol
good luck
cheers

audiman
19th December 2012, 09:21 AM
no idea if its a single or twin set up on fuel pump fuel filter arrived today so will get to it sat afternoon if is a bit warmer plus finish work on Friday for 2 weeks
will let you know how i get on

cheers

Lee

audiman
29th December 2012, 04:52 PM
right not been out to truck untill yesterday wife has been ill with flu i picked up a bad cold and one of the kids was ill as well
anyway changed fuel filter its only a single pump setup now runs a lot better managed to pull up a road hill that is pretty steep in second gear that 2 weeks ago could only get half way up in 1st before it stalled and could go no further did stutter a bit right at very top of hill but it kept goingthen took it down dual carriageway and it ran at 60mph quite well think timing is a bit out so that will be next also lookingto fit a secondary inline filter into the system in engine bay does anyone know which fuel line is the feed as they both run togther top or bottom?

cheers lee

GQ TANK
30th December 2012, 02:16 AM
Also check that none of the manifold bolts have worked loose.

I used to tune my l28 by twaeking he dizzy and going for a run. I used a loacl hill to test the power after each tweak ( I have done this for a lot of vehicles) - basically a small adjustmentof the dizzy and test - also keep and eye on the points setting.

Have ou checked the valve cleracnes?

Robo
30th December 2012, 07:00 AM
Noticed in the gen work shop manual, Single pump is Europe model only, that explains you having only 1 pump.
the pumps have a paper filter inside them to, the end should twist off the pump to allow access.
and carby inlet pipe also has a gauze filter.
Which pipe is the pump connected to, just trace that forward to the engine.
or the carby inlet pipe! and back a bit for your new filter

cheers

audiman
2nd January 2013, 01:36 AM
right had airfilter off today and not sure where the gauze filter is on carby inlet
the 2 fuel pipes run into a valve best way to describe it which then goes into a single fuel pipe that enters the carb took the pipe off and cant see a gauze filter what am i missing
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh474/chukkieegg/DSC_0086.jpg took a pic of what i can see and hope it makes some sense of what i am looking at

cheers

lee

MQ MAD
2nd January 2013, 08:38 AM
Where the fuel line is above in the pic,where it attaches to the carb,theres a big bolt
Undo the bolt, ensure you dont drop anything,an walla theres the filter,itll be a cylinder shape,the bolt goes thru it

audiman
2nd January 2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks mq that makes sense will look at it this afternoon as i am still off work this week and start back on Monday next week

taking the kids to the pics this morning
cheers

Lee

sorry for all the questions but i dont have a workshop manual

fracster
3rd January 2013, 05:00 AM
Lee, if it has been a framers workhorse, then I would be inclined to keep an eye on that new filter you fit,it may well get crudded up soon again, farmers are not well known for preventative maintenance in the UK.

If poss, I would get the tank off and clean it out,fill with fresh fuel,fit a secondary generic fuel filter as well then you know there is no crap getting into the fuel system.

The electronic ignition, whilst being dearer than points etc, will probably pay for itself over a period of time. Guess it depends how long you envisage keeping the truck.

audiman
3rd January 2013, 06:35 AM
nice to see another uk patrol bod on here Fracster secondary inline fuel filter will be installed at weekend tank off at the moment is not an option truck sits on road and i dont have a garage or the time to remove or the ideal weather at mom as last few weeks seem to be rain rain and more rain as i guess you are aware as you will be getting the same
how long I keep the patrol well that depends on what happens with my job this year there is potential for promotion and if i get the role i would like then truck would go as i would get a company car and i dont have room for 4 motors can only get 2 on the drive as it is 1 is family car which wife has most of the time the other the inlaws as we share the house with them long story but it works well and the patrol is part time commuter/toy for me sits on the road

cheers

Lee

fracster
3rd January 2013, 02:39 PM
Kinda makes sense Lee.

The guys on here are very clued up and very helpful, i`m sure they`ll get you going properly.

Robo
4th January 2013, 01:33 AM
Yep, looking at your pic, that rubber line pulled off the carby is the inlet pipe.
you can clearly see the metal pipe ( on the carby) has a safety lock tab over the inlet bolt.
the gauze filter is inside this fitting/bolt.
Cheers

audiman
4th January 2013, 07:24 PM
well latest update took the 12mm bolt off yesterday and removed the banjo bolt and found the gauze filter it was not too bad but cleaned it anyway but the brass bolt below that the banjo/gauze filter fits onto was loose and unscrewed as i removed the 12 mm bolt so i cleaned that up and refitted it had a jet in it anyway screwed it back into the carb and refitted the banjo with gauze filter
refitted airfiter and took for a test down the road run fine upto 50mph in 3rd then starts to stutter and hesistate and lose power but if you drop it into 4th it will then stop stuttering and accelarate fine so it now appears that the fault has moved up the rev range so am i now right in thinking that a jet or similar is blocked in the carb? and would i be right in thinking that a carb strip / rebuild is now the way to go cheers lee